PASSIVE di box pcb ?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Does anyone have plans for a pcb board for a passive di box that can use a transformer with pins
This is actually a good idea, and should be really quick and easy for anyone who knows how to design PCBs. Kinda like with the Bo Hansen PCB, make it so it can accept 2 or 3 transformers, and then just put input and output pins, and voila.

DIY Recording Equipment offers a kit with various trafo options. The kit includes connectors, a nice chassis, PCB, and trafo for between $60 and $150 total— a pretty good deal. If you ask nicely, Peterson may actually be able to provide parts a la carte, but I'm not sure he would do that. His PCB may be just the thing you need.
https://www.diyrecordingequipment.com/collections/studio-essentials/products/ferrite-di
I think the point of a lot of this is so we don't have to buy from anyone.

Last edited:
Does anyone have plans for a pcb board for a passive di box that can use a transformer with pins

You dont need to do a PCB for that,
a passive DI box is such a simple circuit that if you use a transformer with Pins you can just use veroboard, easy and cheap enough

VEROBOARD_sample.jpg

Vero doesn't do much good when the transformer's pins are spaced in a manner that doesn't fit the grid (I've actually toyed with the idea and the few trafos I tried didn't line up with the board at all.) I did a couple of DIs with the transformer upside down & secured with a zip tie run through a couple of holes in the side of the enclosure. They're ugly, and only for home use, but so far they've held up to my rather careless handling of them. A versatile pcb seems a much more elegant way to go though.

Vero doesn't do much good when the transformer's pins are spaced in a manner that doesn't fit the grid (I've actually toyed with the idea and the few trafos I tried didn't line up with the board at all.) I did a couple of DIs with the transformer upside down & secured with a zip tie run through a couple of holes in the side of the enclosure. They're ugly, and only for home use, but so far they've held up to my rather careless handling of them. A versatile pcb seems a much more elegant way to go though.
Agreed.

Asking again, is this for people to make self-etch boards?
(which implies single-sided, no silk screening, no gerbers, etc, etc)

I don't think it's anything yet... but I can't see it being too hard to make it so both self-etch and fabhouse/gerbers would be possible. I don't have time to do it myself for a little while. Just building some Bo Hansen DIs which should cover my own immediate needs.

Asking again, is this for people to make self-etch boards?
(which implies single-sided, no silk screening, no gerbers, etc, etc)
Send me a schematic of the DI that you want to build, along with a Parts List of >> ALL << of the parts that you want to use (MFG Part Numbers, datasheets, etc.) and I will come up with the stuff (i.e., various file formats) that you will need to either "etch-your-own" PCBs or to send to a PCB shop to have them made for you. It really ain't that hard to do, but I need to know -- WHAT -- it is that you want to use for your personal project here!!! I am....."Standing By".....

No need to stand by for me Midnight, I'm quite capable myself.

I wasn't certain what the OP and end-user scenario was intended for, then when a post above said "so we wouldn't have to buy them", which means to me must be a self-etch request.

I have a couple bare-minimum self etch board artwork already, wasn't sure if I should post them here.

These are not full boogie DI box boards, just passive bare minimum boards to mount the transformers and toss 'em in a (1590B) box.

Back