PC Audio Interface

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gltech

Hello guys!

I suddenly need an audio interface for PC/Windows. Looking for whatever has the best sound (well within $ reason) line-in-to-computer -- pres not a factor. Only need minimal input/output count (~2/3/4). Any experiences from you all?

Thanks!
-gltech

Just my opinions:
* I have never been able to hear the differences between various  $200 - $500 interfaces. Probably my tonedeaf ears, but I am pretty sure I am not the only one.
* A lot of interfaces come with increasingly complicated mix software. Took me a week to figure out my current MOTU Ultralite mk3 software. Ask yourself if the possibilities of routing and / or DSP power during tracking are worth it.
* One thing I am really really missing on my current MOTU: a hardware main volume / monitor volume pot. Oh no, I literally JUST figured it out (scared that someone on this forum would publicly prove me wrong). The headphone pot doubles after clicking on it as a main volume pot. Interestingly proving my point of complicated software (/hardware). 

My best buy advice for you: http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/AudioHub24

cheers

Erik

Focusrite makes some nice little ones, the soft is bit simpler but still with quite some features and if you need the DSP option one of the small ones comes with it. It all depends in what is within reason, from my point of view focusrite sounds a bit better than motu but the software of motu has a lot of power in some applications, preamps are quite better but you said that shouldn't be a factor. I have read the clock in ff are quite nice, which is a weak point in many cheap and not so cheap sound cards.

FWIW I have a FF liquid 56 but I was looking for a motu at the time, I found this one really cheap second hand in really good condition so I got it and I really like it. I have a friend who had a few motu and I worked with them a few times, but never had a comparison side by side, I may be wrong, but I still really like how this one works, and the difference with my old m-audio is huge, still latency much much higher than with the m-audio, not a problem for tracking since you always can use the mixer it has on board, but could be a problem if you want to add some processing to the player. That's when DSP may came handy. Still YMMV and I never put a lot of effort trying to lower it, it's a firewire device and I have a PCI/PCIe bridge so it could potentially add some more latency, but it's sooooooo much cheaper than a proper PCIe board than I couldn't justify it (a proper PCIe here cost as much as my mother and I don't have a crappy one)

JS

Im still rocking motu's here. Pci in/out that still can do a pretty high io with very little latency. I bought a couple of 2408 mk3's with the bla mod a good while back (it was a really great deal)and I cant complain. But like others before me have said,  they can certainly have hardware complications.  I originally got them for the tdif and adat options.
If I had to do it again id get an RME. Which are reasonably priced considering their quality.
Literally plug and play.

Latest posts

Back