PCB making and desoldering iron tips for newbies....

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

therecordingart

PCB Making:

So far I've tried the photo method and the toner transfer method using PNP Blue, TTS Paper, photo paper...you name it. For those that want to stick with the toner transfer method I did something today that just rocks and it's cheap!!! I printed the layout onto a magazine page that I ripped from Guitar World. I scrubbed some copper clad board clean, pressed the paper to the board with an iron for 30 seconds, and then ran the pcb through a laminator (same one suggested at pulsar.gs). I then threw the board in the freezer for about 5 min then threw it in hot soapy water for 20 min. Peeled the paper, rubbed off the stuff that is stuck with my finger, and there you go. A PCB that is nicer than both PNP and TTS, and about 99% as good as the photo method. I ended up running off 10 PCBs today and only had to re-do one because I was rushing and screwed up.

Desoldering irons:

I suck at desoldering and I'm modding an Alesis 3630. I can't afford a nice vacuum desoldering station so I ran to Rat Shack and spent $10 on their desoldering iron. Wow! It blows the socks off of just using the bulb that they sell. Much nicer than wick as well. I was removing ICs and VCAs without cutting the legs.

Not sure where you are, but you can get OK condition powered stations like Hakko or Ungar for just over $100 on ebay US.
For a hand-held, the Palladin 1701 is my favorite. About $30. You can try de-soldering braid, but be careful of the time heating the connection.
Mike

[quote author="Ptownkid"]does it look like this?

http://www.thesourcecc.com/estore/Product.aspx?language=en-CA&catalog=Online&category=Soldering+Tools&product=6412200[/quote]

Yes...looks identical. I just started taking old boards I was going to throw out and now I'm pulling parts to recycle into other projects. It's working awesome. I haven't pulled one trace from the board yet.

Bump!

Some of my recent attempts at desoldering have resulted in a world of pain. I've just been using a standard spring loaded solder sucker.

The links above no longer work. Was wondering what people use before I start trying to desolder chips and replace them with chip holders?

Also what's a good temperature for desoldering? I usually solder hot and quickly but is it better to desolder at a lower temp?

Cheers!

Matt

The Edsyn Soldapullt DS017 desoldering pump is the best. I have three of them. If you keep it clean and put a little petroleum jelly on the O-ring occassionally it will suck a hole or pad dry of solder on the first try.

When desoldering occassionally, I have found, I have to add more solder before using the solder pump. I think the process needs the lubrication provided by additional flux. I usually just resolder the pins and then desolder them with the pump and iron. This works particularly well on multi-layer boards.

Latest posts

Back