Peluso 22 251 - you wouldn't believe...

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
CLD stands for "constrained layer damping", doesn't it? So even IF there's some resonance in the audio range, that should serve to reduce the decay time of the resonance, if / when it gets excited. It does nothing regarding actually shifting the resonance frequency - that's a slightly different issue there.

PS: Aluminium is arguably one of the softer and less dense metals, so i'd expect that to have a lower resonance and shorter decay than the same volume (or thickness) of brass or steel.

It does nothing regarding actually shifting the resonance frequency - that's a slightly different issue there.

I never said CLD is shifting frequency, this is a different approach/strategy about vibration management. ;)

The link about m600 deal with the technique to shift frequency range.

If the body is painted, the edge of the body will be insulated from the bottom screw ring and headbasket. I built the matador/chunger mic and painted my mic body. I had a hum problem that i was only able to get red of by sanding the paint off the top and bottom edge of the mic. The  main purpose of the springs being to ground the mic body is believable.

granger.frederic said:
hmm, i'm not convinced
even with laquage, the ground continuity is done by the cable/xlr/bottom screwed ring/body/headbasket
internal springs are not absolutely needed for grounding, even if they can...

yes it is...
of course if you paint the elements, chances are good to isolate them.
you must be sure that the painting doesn't cover the bottom and top sides of the body, to make electrical contact.
even if the springs (or equivalent) transmit the ground, they're allowed to achieve other functions... ;)

KrIVIUM2323 said:
Hi,

Was this comment about my use of the word 'veiled' in a previous comment? If yes ok i'll be more precise and use technical terms:
i do think Ruud's mic have a different transient behavior than the Elam. I suppose this is related to the capsule differences, Ruud's mic using 3 microns diaphragm (if i'm not mistaken) and not using tube electronics (probably less miller effect and no out transformer to modify transients).

I understand your comments guys and like you i like the overall approach here but hey... we record human performances with feelings and we use langage to explain what we feel, this is mandatory waiting for a way to have direct access to our brains and share sensations without language barrier.

KrIVIUM, sorry it wasn't addressed to you, no one in particular. I just felt debate was heading in that direction.  Much better this way, i can sit back, read, and learn something :)

No offense taken. That is fine.
This is just that number are great they tell one 'truth' but your perception feelings tell you another 'truth'. Sometimes they meet, sometimes they don't.
Both are interesting in my view.

In the audiophile world usually there is two camp: the 'objectivists' which only talks about numbers and the 'subjectivists' which only talk about feelings. Both can be wrong! And happily we aren't audiophile!
Better to stand in the middle in my view. ;)

Back