Phantom power blocker for synth outputs

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bmaughan

I’m trying to figure out the best way to protect the outputs on a handful of analog synths. I want to run them straight to the console (through an xlr patch panel) but I’m absolutely certain I will forget to turn off phantom at some point and I would love to not blow up my synths haha. Prefer to not spend the money on xfrmrs and I’ve seen a couple simple designs that seem like they could work but I’m not certain how they may affect the sound. Any thoughts/advice are more than welcome! Thanks!

Ignoring phantom for a moment, how would you otherwise connect the various synths to your console's mic inputs? Compared to a mic or typical musical instrument, synths are neither "fish nor fowl" in terms of signal level, output impedance or ability to drive low(ish) impedance loads.

Many/most(?) desks have a mic input impedance in the 1500-2000 Ohm range, although some mic inputs are way outside that range. The signal level from a synth may exceed the abilities of a mic input. Lotsa variables here...

Bri

I’m trying to figure out the best way to protect the outputs on a handful of analog synths. I want to run them straight to the console

Are the outputs from the synths Balanced or Unbalanced?

Are you connecting them to Line inputs or Mic Inputs on the console?

Does you console have Line inputs?

Latest posts

Back