Phantom power blocker for synth outputs

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Being strictly a location engineer with no studio experience, why aren't alll studios wired with XLRs for mic in, and TRS for line in?

Last edited:
Being strictly a location engineer with no sudio experience, why aren't alll studios wired with XLRs for mic in, and TRS for line in?

Studios are not wired with XLRs or TRS. Studios are all wired to a Patchbay.

The most common patchbay used is with Bantam connectors. (there's others)
Any input or any output will have the same connector, which is very practical an convenient.
But someone that is not experienced might connect for example a Compressor output into a Mic Input that has the phantom power On.

Screen Shot 2024-10-05 at 02.14.01.png

Patchbay_Avex_Honolulu_Studios.jpg

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

As for professional hardware units/equipment, the units itself
Mic In and Mic Outs are normally XLR
Balanced Line In and Balanced Line Out can be XLR or Jack TRS, depends on the manufacturer choice.

XLR has a locking mechanism so it's normally preferred in Professional situations to Jack TRS

OP stated: "straight to the console (through an XLR patch panel)."; not a patchbay.

Hence my question why would anyone build a patch panel that used XLR for mic and line, rather than TRS for line, to easily avoid this phantom poweer issue?

Last edited:
In a few studio builds, I specified that the mic lines from the wall panels in the tracking space(s) terminate in a panel in the control room which had male XLRs for the incoming signals. The same panel also had female XLRs for connection to the mic preamp inputs. Short male-female XLR cables did the patching.

The reasoning was that the bantam patchbays used for the line level patching weren't really reliable for the mic levels. For instruments. we used DI's.

Bri

Attachments

• IMG_0088.JPG
    IMG_0088.JPG
    1 MB
Being strictly a location engineer with no studio experience, why aren't alll studios wired with XLRs for mic in, and TRS for line in?
Because a lot of pro outboard is line level and uses XLRs. You idea will certainly work but you would need a lot of XLR to TRS adaptors and sooner or later someone is going to plug the XLR end of one into an input with phantom power on it.

Cheers

Ian

OP, are you sure your synth does not have capacitor coupled outputs?
I see no reason to DC couple a low level output, unless you want 0.001Hz bass response.
Adding output coupling caps shouldn't be too hard, cut a wire or a trace put in a leaded cap or an SMT cap, if some bonehead forgot to include it.
Mic inputs are special, they are not "line" level.

OP, are you sure your synth does not have capacitor coupled outputs?
I see no reason to DC couple a low level output, unless you want 0.001Hz bass response.
Adding output coupling caps shouldn't be too hard, cut a wire or a trace put in a leaded cap or an SMT cap, if some bonehead forgot to include it.
Mic inputs are special, they are not "line" level.
Even if the oututs are capacitor coupled, one would need to be sure that the caps are rated for 63v, which isn't gauranteed on much of the gear I have looked at over the years....

Last edited:
Back