Phantom power help needed !

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MartyMart

Hi chaps, I've searched and found lots of info here but many threads have led to "dead" links or circuit versions that won't apply to my required circuit and parts that I have.
Here's what I need to build and also what I have available :

I need a simple clean 48v dc phantom supply to add to a pair of V676 TF mic amps.
I have the 24v dc supply in a rack with one V676 and will be adding a second unit.
There's plenty of space in there for a separate phantom supply board.
I have about 5 traffo's all new, a couple are 240v to 15v and one has a dual 15v secondary, ratings are 3.2VA and 1.7VA .
LM317's and other parts I have also.
Is it possible to simply join the dual 15v supply's to get 30v ac and regulate/filter from there ?
Any tips on this much appreciated.
Marty

SSL Keith , has a psu circuit for the 9K and you can take the 48v section from there , not many parts .
It would seem the easiest and most straightforward method to get the 48v
however would be having at least 40 vac feeding the separate bridge rectifier to the phantom .
Run a voltage doubler from your secondary ac of the 24 v supply ?
eats up a little more current , but can it be done at the same time as
a bridge rectifier running off the same ac ?

Could be a good question for retrofits , any smarter opinions ?

Thanks, I thought of doing that but was advised not to "pinch" my supply from that section and to have a separate unit for the 48v supply.
Just trying to use up one of the dual 15v traffo's that I have ...
MM

if you have a separate 15-15 ac out xfmr , you could triple one of the windings with the smoothing caps that should get you there , just
need to calulate the current lose through the tripler and the draw from the phantom [ which shouldn't be much ]

Need someone smarter than me to say if wiring the secondaries in
paralell would help for current draw , otherwise one of the secondary
to center tap for 15 v , use a voltage tripler [ a reasonable idea ? ]
and proceed to phantom circuit , anyone ?

15VAC voltage-tripled/rectified will give you about fifty-something volts (after tax) unregulated. Send that into the LM317 regulator section of the SSLtech 48V rail, and you'll get a nice 48V output.

Add the caps to the circuit, as discussed in the 'noisy phantom rail' thread...

Keith

Keith , would it be of any practical benefit to use both of the
secondary windings for greater current " headroom " ?
that works if you paralell them ?
or no they have to be separate windings not just centered tapped
so they don't cancel

Latest posts

Back