Pink's photos

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What's wrong with this picture?

This is the constant current driver inside an advertised 50 watt LED floodlight.

It is good to know that it can run off of both American and European 12V car batteries.

And it draws 3.1A at 12.4V input.

Gene

Attachments

• 50 watt LED supply.jpg
    50 watt LED supply.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 68
I'm going to start this thread again after over a year, any objections, let me know.

The pictures don't do this one justice, the amazing isometric precision in wiring from 1941 worthy of an oil refinery's piping. It is a resistor decade box with an oven, controlled by a mercury thermometer.

Found it at a hamfest while looking for high current rotary switches, but this beast is just too damn pretty to strip. Paid 5 bucks.

Note the nice, fuzzy oxidized cadmium plating on the pot backs, the balsa wood insulation for the oven, and the copper oxide bridge rectifier next to the temp control relay.

The panel is 12 x 20 x 1/2" phenolic.

Gene

Attachments

• The Gadjet.jpg
    The Gadjet.jpg
    325.6 KB · Views: 88
In a similar vein, I did some training years in my youth at GEC in Coventry who made all the Strowger telephone exchanges for British Telecom.  Those exchanges were a work of art.  Imagine a cable loom of 200 or so twisted pairs about 10 to 12 meters long with all the cables aligned, running perfectly parallel the whole length of the loom.  Cables peeling on and off at regular intervals to feed the Uniselectors.  At the end of the loom, there was a perfect right angle curve where the loom went through the floor to the room below.

It was all done by hand and knotted with waxed twine using a special knot.  I still have the callas of hard skin  across the first joint of my right index finger where I used to have to pull the knot tight.  It was all pre-formed on huge peg boards to start with and if it wasn't perfect QC would put a stopper on it.

Cheers

Mike

madswitcher said:
.  Imagine a cable loom of 200 or so twisted pairs about 10 to 12 meters long with all the cables aligned, running perfectly parallel the whole length of the loom. 

There is something magical about that kind of workmanship, works of art. I don't suppose you have any pictures?

This jpeg is for the R/R tape guys, from a 32 track instrumentation deck, flat to DC, FM carrier. Not mine, I overslept and got to the auction too late. Not that I really wanted it, 5) 6' tall deep racks with no interconnection cables to be found, so it was nothing but scrap to me.

Gene

Attachments

• 240-IPS.jpg
    240-IPS.jpg
    23.5 KB · Views: 35
Gene Pink said:
There is something magical about that kind of workmanship, works of art. I don't suppose you have any pictures?

Can't find any photos, but found the sound of a Uniselector doing its last phase.

http://www.seg.co.uk/telecomm/sounds.htm

Mike

> about 2 minutes for a 10.5" reel!

Missile launch. All the interesting stuff happens in a couple minutes, some of it very fast. You need high data rate and short runtime is fine.

Everybody knows what this is, or has at least heard of them and know they exist. But few have ever seen the guts inside these magnificent beasts.

Would anyone care to take a guess?  :D

Gene

Attachments

• Pic 1.jpg
    Pic 1.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 45
bruno2000 said:
Knurling (sp?) tool?
Best,
Bruno2000
I think those may be knobs....

Back when I worked in the machine shop (50 years ago) I actually used a knurling tool once...  It is used to increase the diameter of round stock very slightly. The knurling tool bolts into the standard lathe tool post, and has (two?) small hardened cutting wheels that are free to rotate with a surface pattern that presses into the round stock and cuts a pattern of angled  raised ridges.

JR

3FHF2_AS01

I made a Fender Bassman style ring out of silver a while back.  To make the knurled part for the power lamp jewel I ran a strip of silver through a pair of rollers while pressed against a coarse file.

Attachments

• IMG_2122.jpg
    IMG_2122.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 21
Bzzzzzt. Thanks for playing.

A hint: That shaft spun by the rollers and also the one coming up from below on the left, are 1/2" copper-clad carbon rods. Another view:

Attachments

• Pic 2.jpg
    Pic 2.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 24

Latest posts

Back