Power Toroid Wdc vs rated VA and acceptable temperature rise

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
kambo said:
would these work on heaters

https://www.amazon.com/12-Volt-Power-Supply-Standard/dp/B01BDFQ7NO/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1503037680&sr=8-4&keywords=12v+5+amp+power+supply

It should do  but it depends on how much current you want to draw and what kind of current limit it has. Probably good for up to 2 amps of heaters. These cheap ones tend to user lower switching frequencies so it is anyone's guess what the noise it like at the output.

Cheers

Ian

Cheers

Ian

Tubetec said:
Do you typically connect direct to the outputs ,add extra lc filters , or use a linear reg after the switcher
I add a basic LC filter, typically 100uH+ 470uF in parallels with 0.1uF ceramic. Of course this is a starting value, needs to be adjusted to voltage/current.

abbey road d enfer said:
I've found the XP Power to be very quiet and consistent.

I find this discussion interesting since I have thought about an external power supply for the heaters of a tube mixer project.

Looking at XPPower website it is a bit hard to narrow the search for a 12VAC or a 6-7VAC supply?

Are there a specific one you recommend or just in general?

Best regards

/John

johnheath said:
I find this discussion interesting since I have thought about an external power supply for the heaters of a tube mixer project.

Looking at XPPower website it is a bit hard to narrow the search for a 12VAC or a 6-7VAC supply?

Are there a specific one you recommend or just in general?

Best regards

/John

I think you meant to say 12V DC and 6 - 6V DC not AC. Most have universal inputs which means they can be connected directly to the mains in just about any country.

Check out their ECM40US12 model for example.

Cheers

Ian

Thanks Ian

Of course DC. I will have a look at it tomorrow. It will be interesting to see what size they are and how to use it in the best way...

Best regards

/John

johnheath said:
Thanks Ian

Of course DC. I will have a look at it tomorrow. It will be interesting to see what size they are and how to use it in the best way...

Best regards

/John

They are surprisingly small. The little 50W one I used is only 99mm by 82mm by 35mm - about the same volume as the 80VA toroid I  ended up using.

Cheers

Ian

Latest posts

Back