Proper wiring to avoid ground loops

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
At this point it's difficult to tell if someone is "having a laugh" or we are being subjected to some firm of bot AI (although in that case the "I" element isn't working well 🙂).
Maybe we need to request identification of images with traffic lights from a selection of images 😊
So I crossed posts with the last couple. Now sounding more and more auto generated ?

and how long did it take for you to get rid of the CB issue? Did you learned anything about that experience?
It took awhile before the preacher didn't worry about truckers breaking into the sermon. I learned a LOT, circa 1974.

Of course you're the DOCTOR and learned that at med school.

and how long did it take for you to get rid of the CB issue? Did you learned anything about that experience?

That wasn't the issue. It was the pseudo-technical word soup you posted.
You understand that there are actual expert and professional product designers and design engineers here who have designed and implemented such solutions in both audio and other systems ?

Obviously you don't know the 150 resistor keeps the cable in balanced connection.
No. Because it simply doesn't. The load doesn't change how the connection is balanced.
The connection is balanced because of the two 150r in the hot and cold legs. The 150r between cold and hot doesn't change the balance. It just drops the level.
After that, the op amp in this case makes the gain in the monitor,
At the cost of introducing some of its own noise, and amplifying whatever noise remains on the line. Balancing is never perfect, there is always residual noise. Ensuring that the nominal line level is high guarantees good noise performance.
And the coarse contour in the adjustment observed at the big knob is gone. Because barely moving the gain at the monitor controller was instant blast at the lowest volume setting at the monitor.
Are you aware that it depends on the level that is sent to the line?
Good planning of the level diagram (are you familiar with it?) would ensure that the line level is consistent with a manageable position of the volume control.

There is one definition to 'balanced operation' that cover four types of circuits, which three of them are coupling connections from one device to another, and one is a circuit topology.
Different coupling and output circuitry require different approaches to establish balanced operation. In the case of the Mackie big knob, which is called impedance balanced or suds-balanced has one rule on connection, while transformer balanced has another, As so does electrically balanced.
But if the correct approach is applied balanced operation is established.
100% mumbo jumbo.
The definition of balanced operation is a differential signal path that rejects common mode noise.
A droplet of fact in an ocean of BS.

This is a very old topic and calling all interface hum issues "ground loops" is inaccurate.

even the wiki definition is inaccurate

wiki said:
In an electrical system, a ground loop or earth loop occurs when two points of a circuit are intended to have the same ground reference potential but instead have a different potential between them. This is typically caused when enough current is flowing in the connection between the two ground points to produce a voltage drop and cause two points to be at different potentials.

They describe an ohmic voltage drop due to ground current flows between SKUs. That is a real thing but not a ground loop. A loop implies a one turn magnetic circuit where stray magnetic fields develop a voltage across that one turn winding. I have seen this happen inside high power audio amplifiers where the significant transformer's magnetic filed could induce hum into circuit paths that inadvertently circumscribe magnetic loops.

The vast majority of interface hum problems mis-described as ground loops are actually ground reference contamination due to stray current flows improperly bonded to safety ground and not rejected by proper input signal differential treatment.

======
So, Doctor.......you say you know EVERYTHING....

How many successful desks have you designed/built? How many successful studios? How many video production rooms?

Dammit, I need to get to bed. I have REAL stuff to do later this day besides doing a Dick Measuring process.
Brian... being an old member does not give you license to be uncivil to drtecho he deserves the same civility we demand from him.

JR

I missed a few days of this thread. I see you have been Dr Techno'd. I came across him a year or so ago on GS and his grasp of reality then was tenuous at best.
It appears that he was last active on GS back in 2018.... (time flies)

He seems very sure of himself, like more than a few people around here. 🤔
Cheers

Ian
lets try to be gracious

JR

I was curious, so I just looked at The Doctor's profile again. Now sez zero posts. Guess he deleted his comments....which will make this thread confusing for anyone reading in the future.

Again, I apologize for flying off the handle.

Bri

I was curious, so I just looked at The Doctor's profile again. Now sez zero posts. Guess he deleted his comments....which will make this thread confusing for anyone reading in the future.

Well, except for the quotes that got replied to, but yeah...

Back