PWM compressor

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Didnt abechap do the PIE (pye) clone and use a chip for the "chopper"?  Yep, its sitting next to me and sounds great.  why not borrow that section from him?

sr1200 said:
Didnt abechap do the PIE (pye) clone and use a chip for the "chopper"?  Yep, its sitting next to me and sounds great.  why not borrow that section from him?

I checked out the schematic on his web site and I did not see a chip for the chopper; just a transistor as in the original.

Cheers

Ian

ruffrecords said:
sr1200 said:

I checked out the schematic on his web site and I did not see a chip for the chopper; just a transistor as in the original

Ian

He used a 555 to create the oscillator pulse, but the actual modulation & pulse width is not done with the chip.  The chip only provide a 250KHz pulse.

jasonallenh said:
Getting into some murky water here, but SKnote has a PWM compressor as well. I have one. Ask away. I think the PWM is 500kHz?

Have you had the lid off? What chips does it use?

Cheers

Ian

MicDaddy said:
I think PIC18 will do 1MHz PWM with some sacrifice of resolution?

It just occured to me there may be a fundamental problem using PWM in a micro. Assuming we want 8 bit resolution in our PWM signal, this means the clock feeding the PWM counter needs to be 256 times the the required PWM frequency. Thismeans even if we want a PWM frequency as low as 100KHz, we need a clcok of 25MHz.

Cheers

Ian

Still possible.
I have not check for other manufacturer but from microchip, you can found in the PIC24 or dsPIC33E line high speed PWM with claim to have 7ns resolution. This means that at 10 bits you still have a PWM frequency of 130kHz.

DSPIC33EP32MC202 is at 2€30 at Mouser, so it is still cheap ...

Chris_V said:
Still possible.
I have not check for other manufacturer but from microchip, you can found in the PIC24 or dsPIC33E line high speed PWM with claim to have 7ns resolution. This means that at 10 bits you still have a PWM frequency of 130kHz.

DSPIC33EP32MC202 is at 2€30 at Mouser, so it is still cheap ...

Interesting chip, and it can be programmed with my PICkit3. No SDIP proto baord that I can find  but that is easy to fix.

Cheers

ian

ruffrecords said:
jasonallenh said:
Getting into some murky water here, but SKnote has a PWM compressor as well. I have one. Ask away. I think the PWM is 500kHz?

Cheers

Ian

I just pulled it out and checked. It has one of these:

http://www.vishay.com/docs/70054/dg444.pdf

I'd be interested to know what you think.....................

ruffrecords said:
jasonallenh said:

Cheers

Ian

I actually found the previously mentioned TL5001CP as well. Other than that, just a bunch of the standard TL07- opamps

DG444/5 are well known and respected audio switches. Perfect for this job. Were there any other (none audio) chips near them?

Cheers

Ian
[/quote]

jasonallenh said:
ruffrecords said:
jasonallenh said:

Cheers

Ian

I actually found the previously mentioned TL5001CP as well. Other than that, just a bunch of the standard TL07- opamps

DG444/5 are well known and respected audio switches. Perfect for this job. Were there any other (none audio) chips near them?

Cheers

Ian

The TL5001CP is a basic PWM controller with built in oscillator. Although intended primarily for switched mode power supplies you can use it  for generating a PWM signal just by feeding a dc voltage inoto its feedback input. The dc voltage is derived by the compressors side chain in the normal manner.

Cheers

ian

ruffrecords said:
It just occured to me there may be a fundamental problem using PWM in a micro. Assuming we want 8 bit resolution in our PWM signal, this means the clock feeding the PWM counter needs to be 256 times the the required PWM frequency. Thismeans even if we want a PWM frequency as low as 100KHz, we need a clcok of 25MHz.

Cheers

Ian

I use an Atmega328P to generate a 200kHz PWM signal at 50% duty cycle to drive an analog delay line.  It can go faster, but 100kHz is the maximum frequency of the BL3208a chips that I used (each chip see fs/2 with original polarity and inverted polarity).  The microcontroller generates any frequency that I need between 26kHz and 200kHz, depending on the delay setting, or the tempo tapped in.  So, this is well within the ability of a microcontroller.

I have been investigating the use of a microcontroller for a PWM based guitar compressor for some time.  I think the biggest limitation will be attack time, due to the time it takes the micro to do the a/d conversion and process the signal.

usekgb said:
I use an Atmega328P to generate a 200kHz PWM signal at 50% duty cycle to drive an analog delay line.  It can go faster, but 100kHz is the maximum frequency of the BL3208a chips that I used (each chip see fs/2 with original polarity and inverted polarity).  The microcontroller generates any frequency that I need between 26kHz and 200kHz, depending on the delay setting, or the tempo tapped in.  So, this is well within the ability of a microcontroller.

I have been investigating the use of a microcontroller for a PWM based guitar compressor for some time.  I think the biggest limitation will be attack time, due to the time it takes the micro to do the a/d conversion and process the signal.

getting a hi enough frequency is not to hard. The problem is being able to alter the pulse width to the necessary resolution. If you want say a resolution better than 0.5% then you need 8 bits. This means the internal oscillator in the micro driving the PWM modules needs to be 256 times the PWM frequency. So if the PWM frequency is 100KHz, the oscillator needs to be 25.6MHz.

Cheers

Ian

> I think the biggest limitation will be attack time, due to the time it takes the micro to do the a/d conversion and process the signal.

A) A burst of overload in the front is not always bad. It tickles the ear into "hearing" the missing transient.

B) That initial milliSecond does not have to be *precision*. Scale a basic 1-bit analog pin into flipping when signal is large. Turn-down without much computation. (If still high, turn down again.) As the ADC path settles, now calculate where you want to gain-ride.

ruffrecords said:
getting a hi enough frequency is not to hard. The problem is being able to alter the pulse width to the necessary resolution. If you want say a resolution better than 0.5% then you need 8 bits. This means the internal oscillator in the micro driving the PWM modules needs to be 256 times the PWM frequency. So if the PWM frequency is 100KHz, the oscillator needs to be 25.6MHz.

Cheers

Ian

Good insight Ian.  I will need to take a look at the PWM library that I used, and see what the resolution is as the frequency changes.

Sure a better micro helps, the ARM M3 in the due has a lot more than just faster clock, a closer look to the manual would help but the timing between the timer and the output pin I think is also something you may benefit from the M3 architecture, while in the 328 you miss a few clock cycles. Something important with PWM compressors is to have the gain range limited to the usable range, if you allow for 40dB range but never using more than 15dB attenuation you are loosing precious bits in the way, which takes with it speed, filter complexity, etc.

Maybe some auto range could help, making adaptive to swap between 12dB range cell and 36dB range, just swapping a resistor in the cell. Then is the fact of when use one or the other, how and when to switch, etc. Better specs up to 12dB range, when you need to go further you probably are having other problems to be looking at.

JS

Latest posts

Back