PYE Compressor/Limiter Thread *boards shipping* BOM up!

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well i meant one of these "AC" versions. Im one of the early ones to try these, back about 50 or 60 pages, LOL

Attachments

• DSCF0374.jpg
    DSCF0374.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 2
Mine is worth a fortune in my time. I parked this project for several years before I had the stamina to complete.

I think everyone who has completed one should get a gold medal.
I built my PYE about 3 years ago, and have been using it on my drum bus. It sounds great, my only complaint is I do get 60hz hum when I crank the gain high.
Has anyone experience this?

60Hz is almost certainly a pickup from a power transformer. Try removing it from the enclosure and see if it makes any difference.
120Hz hum is bad grounding scheme or too heavy load for the transformer (this is unlikely with PYE though).

60Hz is almost certainly a pickup from a power transformer. Try removing it from the enclosure and see if it makes any difference.
120Hz hum is bad grounding scheme or too heavy load for the transformer (this is unlikely with PYE though).
Thanks llya, I will try that next week,, will keep you posted.
This PYE is not your kit, but it's the one from AC sound. Your kit has no 60hz hum.

This PYE is not your kit, but it's the one from AC sound. Your kit has no 60hz hum.
Do you have both?
I wonder how they compare sound wise to your ears, given that the AC kit has chip oscillator.

Re hum. I test all my modules thoroughly, and tune them up to the highest standard possible before releasing to the public. If you get any hum with my projects, it means that something is very wrong and there’s a mistake somewhere.

Do you have both?
I wonder how they compare sound wise to your ears, given that the AC kit has chip oscillator.

Re hum. I test all my modules thoroughly, and tune them up to the highest standard possible before releasing to the public. If you get any hum with my projects, it means that something is very wrong and there’s a mistake somewhere.
I like yours a lot!! using it on a mix bus.
I did use the AC sound oscillator PCB board transformer option that came with the boards. Went with your winding/core build.
As far as my ears both kits are very similar in sound. I do like AC sound gain control pot, but your version is very quiet in the noise floor compared to AC's version.

I like yours a lot!! using it on a mix bus.
I did use the AC sound oscillator PCB board transformer option that came with the boards. Went with your winding/core build.
As far as my ears both kits are very similar in sound. I do like AC sound gain control pot, but your version is very quiet in the noise floor compared to AC's version.
It appears to be a insert problem, I have a TAC Scorpion board which has TRS 1/4" inserts (unbalanced), The wiring on the patchbay was wrong all quiet now!!

Because i'm doing some work on a pair of Pye's at the moment just wanted to share some info regarding the original transformer oscillator that i would have found useful when i built my first Pye clone, maybe can be useful info for someone.
The transformer oscillator is VERY different from the 555 version, i have attached some images, and the schematic for the version i'm working on, the inductance of the transformer is 0.08mH measured on the five turns side.
The oscilloscope images show the oscillator signal on the Anode and cathode side of MR1, also the only way i was able to get this kind of saw wave was using a germanium diode, you will get a very different wave with a 1N4148.

Attachments

• MR1_Anode.png
    MR1_Anode.png
    32.2 KB · Views: 0
  • MR1_Cathode.png
    MR1_Cathode.png
    36.5 KB · Views: 0
  • Pye_tr.png
    Pye_tr.png
    3.8 MB · Views: 2
  • PYE-Compressor.pdf
    41 KB · Views: 2
, also the only way i was able to get this kind of saw wave was using a germanium diode, you will get a very different wave with a 1N4148.
thanks for sharing the info. I like how mine works and prefer to the Waves plug-in. How does changing the diode and shape of the oscillation effect the compression?

Did you have any info on the inductors which seem to be somewhat of a mystery in spec.

also the only way i was able to get this kind of saw wave was using a germanium diode, you will get a very different wave with a 1N4148.
Are you sure about this? Datasheet says the 1S44 is silicon, and I've got very similar (maybe identical?) waveforms in mine using the 1N4148

Though I've got it out at the moment, will try subbing in a germanium diode and see what happens

Also, what frequency are you getting put out the oscillator? The pye book mentions 200khz but ive seen references to other higher frequencies as well. I haven't really heard a difference with variations above 200k but I haven't really dug into that either

@Electrobumps
I'm not sure yet in what way the waveform effects the compression, i'm testing against my old clone with 555.

@Dreams
Yes i am aware that it is a silicon diode, but i could not get a sawtooth with 1n4148.
The Pye modules i have here the oscillators are running at 205khz and 208khz.

I built one of these a long time ago. I hadn't tested it for about 3 years. This morning I decided to fire it up and record an acoustic guitar clip. Settings were 3:1 100ms decay doing around 6-12db of reduction. Miked about 2 ft away with a Sony C48. I like the way it sounds and adds sustain and control to the guitar. Hopefully everyone can listen to the file ok. Cheers.

https://whyp.it/tracks/135528/acoustic-guitar-pye

Latest posts

Back