PYE Compressor/Limiter Thread *boards shipping* BOM up!

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I bought about 10 different values of EPCOS / TDK Ferrite Cores from Mouser over here across the pond, to experiment with for the 250k oscillator but I haven't started the build yet.
If using original daughterboards look out for the following

• Ferrite Oscillator pin numbers are labelled incorrectly. Check this against original schematic.
  • one leg of the transistor is very close to another component. I got a Solder bridge I ended up cutting a trace and flying wires.
  • If the HFE is too high on the 2N4124 the signal will distort. I can’t remember the spec of the original transistor, but keep below this.

Last edited:
hi guys need some help with the side chain how much dc voltage should I be measuring after Rectification I have a 1:4 interstage tx to bridge

cheers

has any one got a copy, of the spread sheet for the threshold control pot ,? or the resistor values needed to make the threshold control pot.

cheers

Denis

has any one got a copy, of the spread sheet for the threshold control pot ,? or the resistor values needed to make the threshold control pot.

cheers

Denis
Hi, do you mean the Input/=Threshold pot? It should have the same value as the Output pot with 10K Log. Regards Herbert

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230131-212501.png
    Screenshot_20230131-212501.png
    254.8 KB · Views: 0
not the mom mate, this was for the stepped version threshold rotary switch, I am sure one of the guys, made a spread sheet.

cheers anyway

denis

could someone please take two measurements , one at the primary and secondary of side chain transformer still connected to the bridge rectifier ,INPUT at 0db. 0.775 Rms Please

could someone please take two measurements , one at the primary and secondary of side chain transformer still connected to the bridge rectifier ,INPUT at 0db. 0.775 Rms Please
You might struggle to get this information. You are probably the only active builder right now. Most people will have these in the rack and to take them out open up and take measurements is quite a big ask. If you explained why you want this info and what problems you are having people might be able to help without giving you exact measurements.

You might struggle to get this information. You are probably the only active builder right now. Most people will have these in the rack and to take them out open up and take measurements is quite a big ask. If you explained why you want this info and what problems you are having people might be able to help without giving you exact measurements.
cheers, ok

So I need these measurements of the side chain transformer for me to evaluate what is going on in the side chain and to check my voltages with a working unit.

iam not getting any slow release and I was wondering way that is .

It would be nice if a kind soul could help with the stepped threshold/input output control , I just can not get my head around it .

cheers

Denis

Do you mean that slow release just doesn't work or is too fast? Is it the same across both sides? Have you listened to the unit while adjusting the Decay trimmer, It has quite an impact on the release especially if you listen to transient programs such as drums.

Both channels do the same thing , so I engage 3sec release pos while playing a track and then stop it ,to see how long it hangs for ,before coming back to rest.

As for the delay pot it moves the pointer up/down the scale, can not here anything myself, when moving it

cheers

Both channels do the same thing , so I engage 3sec release pos while playing a track and then stop it ,to see how long it hangs for ,before coming back to rest.

As for the delay pot it moves the pointer up/down the scale, can not here anything myself, when moving it

cheers
This should effect the release time. If you select 100ms release then adjust this you should hear it change the release time on drums. If you are on 3s it might not have any effect.

Are you using the chip as the chopper, the metering didn't really make sense to me with the chip. When you say wait for to come back are you gauging release time by the meter ballistics?

yes ,gauging release time by the meter ballistics

yes using chopper

I think I have fix it now , R52 was not wind in enough, it sound like it was just on the edge of compression , so I wound it down to get the release to work ...

cheers

Denis

Great, I Set R52 per the additional lineup notes as the release made sense. R52 and unity gain are the only trimmers I changed from the stock values.

this thing distorts when you switch to 1:1 will change o/p tx for 1:1 at some point when I have done the stepped pot,

but as it is , it sounds really sweet when you dial it in , not to much compression just a bit ,

saying that I've got a couple more issues 50hz in the psower supply and the meter is acting like a microphone when you tap it you can here it in the out

cheers

Denis

What is one of these worth these days all completed?
as much as someone wants to pay. There is a boutique 500 series I've seen for sale. Inductors look impressive.....Chopper not so much. There is also someone who makes a rack version commercially in the UK.

Latest posts

Back