R*E*D Forty Seven

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
guitarmaker wrote:
Here's the layouts I used. Turret board was from Newark.

http://www.pacinfo.com/~sholst/reddamplayout.JPG
http://www.pacinfo.com/~sholst/reddpowerlayout.JPG[/quote]

These links are dead.Does anyone have them?
If not has anyone made this pre?I would like to build this unit but the 290v HT listed on the schemo has me confused.
Isn't H.T. a kilovolt or more.High tension?
Dumb question I know but a schemo for the power supply would be very helpful. :roll:

[quote author="volta"]I would like to build this unit but the 290v HT listed on the schemo has me confused.
Isn't H.T. a kilovolt or more.High tension?
Dumb question I know but a schemo for the power supply would be very helpful. :roll:[/quote]

High Tension just means High Voltage. Its a UK term.

When different voltages are used (eg. in a valve unit), we refer to the high voltage as the HT voltage.

Let me know if you have any questions about my build of that pre. It's an amazing sounding thing but you HAVE to use the Cinemag input iron IMO.

Steve

Thanks SonsofThunder and guitarmaker :grin:
Time to start gathering parts.
Now if Bauman would spit out some pcb's life would be a little better.

Which model # cimemag and Sowters did you use? I"m considering getting back into making some gear after a 2 or 3 year break, and this looks like a nice good easy project. Luckily I saved the schematic several years ago before they all disappeared off the web.

The input was a Cinemag CMMI-7C I tried several 1:7s in there and that one had the best sound IMO. I had Sowter do up a 7:1 off one of their existing models for the output. 9658a I believe. Sowter is always a pleasure to deal with. This really is a simple build and I think it definitely suits being a point to point job. The Power tranny came from Newark. It's an Allied 6K56VG and it's a big mama! I'm sure you could simplify the power section but I wanted to use the glow tubes. Never had an opportunity before to use them. It's a very quiet preamp as well.

Steve

I could be wrong, but I think that the original unit was thought to be
loaded down to 200 ohms wich meens that if you dont load more than
600 ohms, Tx at 4,5:1 to 7:1 works well. If you also want it to deliver up to at least +18 dBu you have to consider the lower ratio.
Is there anybody out there who has build this unit and the NY-D Tube-line
amp ? I´d like to know the differences in sound. I know of course that they are two different circuits and with different output Tx, but anyway-
if you have those around give me some objective thought´s
Cheers Bo

I also used the Sowter 1:7 input for a time in the redd. While I generally love Sowter the Cinemag in this circuit is waaaaay better sounding. It's really night and day.

Steve

Back