R*E*D Forty Seven

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
with any of those circuits, its about the tubes and the iron.
then caps.
then resistors and wiring.
so work on number one and you will have a kick ass whatever you build.

[quote author="bovox"]I could be wrong, but I think that the original unit was thought to be
loaded down to 200 ohms...
[/quote]

See very bottom (detail no. 4) of the page linked below which also applies to the '47 amp.

http://www.revolutionrecording.com/RS124.html

Hmmm I no this is old thread but I bin reading a lot about this amp & how wonderful it is so I made myself a point to point version using Sowter transformers & while it does sound nice its not my favorite DIY pre amp doesnt make it into top three.....Iv read people comparing it to V72 & saying its way better I made a DIY v72 again Sowter irons / choke I think my V72 is way better than RED ......I wonder if different iron would do the trick ....like I said it does sound good but....maybe its my ears ....do you have to be into the Beatles the hear it, no disrespect to the Beatles but to me they just sound like most other sixties groups.....there I said it....I do love the sound & song Hey Jude tho am I forgiven..

Has anyone got any thoughts on this ?

Cheers.

I tried Sowter and Cinemag on the input and the Cinemag sounded infinitely better IMO.  Cinemag was smoother with more detail.  With an amp like this the iron makes all the difference in the world.

Steve

At the time I used a Sowter on the output.  They had to custom wind it for the right ratio.  I think they have a dedicated set of trannys for this now.  If anyone wants my layout just PM me. 

Steve

For those who want to see the schemo I might be able to help with a model I have sitting in my simulator...no need to PM.

Cool that sounds intersting ......Steve il emty box thanks oo that reminds me the cat litter is full too ....I have such a rock n roll life.

Anyone tried a Sowter 9045 think its 1:5 or 1:10 I was told its there best mic tran its expensive too

Latest posts

Back