Racking SSL Modules

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey thanks for the help everyone

Another question; if I don't tie the lamps to +6v and instead connect to 0v, will the lamps work?

The lamps voltage rails aren't especially for the leds, but for illumination of the meters and some other stuff. The meters use 30 volts, (-24v to +6v makes 30), hence this rail.
FWIW, I have used the JLM 5 rail psu's for my racked eq's (-24,-18,+18, and 0v), and it worked perfectly (yes, the leds too) . I don't use that one anymore simply because I have a big SSL 5k PSU right now.

Don't forget to strap the line that Gachet mentioned. If you use an EQ without the balancingoption, you'll have to tie that same line to another pin, but I can't remember which one right now. I have got the info somewhere though.

Gachet said:
Connect to ground pin 12a,14a,17a,18a(Use star grounding).
Connect to +6V pin15a.
Connect to -18V pin 19a,20a,22a.
Connect to +18V pin 16a.
Connect to -24V pin 21a.

Connect input to pin 32a or 31a.
Connect output to pin 30a.
my original cross reference says something different!
30a = Return Eq/Dyn
31a = interbus
32a = Send Eq/Dyn

balanced Ins/outs seem to be on the c row ... maybe this is your problem!!!
29c - bal. output -
30c - bal. output +
31c - bal. input -
32c - bal. input +
if you like I can mail you a pdf!
cheers
ilvi

Hi Ilvi,

The connections mentioned by Gachet are correct when you use 502/542 eq's that have no balancingcircuits. What you show here, is for the 502/542 WITH balancing cards. Please check if you have the balancingboards fitted (and the needed components around it), because most of the 5k eq's SSL built, are for use in channelstrips, and therefore unbalanced. The eq's connections go through a 10ch IDC flatcable, which correspond to the pins Gachet mentioned.

The eq/dyn boards used for the eq's, are the same as used for the 510 and  520 compressors. 520's usually are accessed via the consoles patchbay, so they always have balanced in and outs. My guess (but I'm not 100% sure) is that 510's also always have balanced in and outs.

Gachet said:
Hi Chris,

Did you find something about the no audio when bypassing unit?

:?:

if you are using the module unbalanced you have to solder:
TR3-j112(G on R98,D on R97 and S on C61)
R98-10M
R99-100K
R102-4.7M
C53-100n polyester
C61-220u/10v electrolytic Bi-Polar
Link on LK2

marco

not in schematics....i have buyed balanced cassettes with all components soldered.....

i thank you becouse my problem was to tie the 24v on the master reset(1a)....

marco

ermetiko said:
if you are using the module unbalanced you have to solder ...
marco
hi,
let's say I have balanced my sl502's - is it then possible to wire my SL501 + SL502 + SL510 modules for use as a mono channelstrip (wiring the unbalanced send/return pins)
while also have the possibility to use each module as a standalone unit ( using the balanced in/outs pins)?
... I meant - will the insert buttons turn my 3 standalone balanced units into a channelstrip (using the unbalanced signalpath)?
any recommendations appreciated - also on how to balance my sl502 -> my sl510 already has the balancing option installed and the SL501 has a balanced out anyway.
many thanx

silvio

chester said:
[quote author="ukbrightonbloke"]Thanks, link did not work.

Is it possible to email me the pic and i can upload/redraw?

Chris

send me a pm with your mail.
[/quote]

Hi chester/chris

Could you by any chance send me the diareams you have?

I have a pair of ssl sl502 eq's that im about to rack and need as much info as possible,

Thanks

Neil

Finally racked one of my 502s, another one to come.
Thanks everyone for the helpful advice, next project I'm doing is a SSL 4k Channel Strip so if anyone has the pinouts an schematics for them, please could you let me know
Cheers
SL502Racked.jpg

SL502Racked2.jpg

Chad, nice. I see you used the JLM powerstation as well. Excellent. What kind of toroid did you use ? 20-0-20 VAC ?

DigitalMetal, you mention you have manuals of other modules as well. Do you have the 505 too ? I don't have the audioschematics of that one, and I (kinda) need it to work out a micpre-insertion card I'm working on right now. It will convert the 1st line input of the 505 into a 60dB micpre, like the 501 micpre (appearance I mean, not the sound).  I always expected that the input sections of the 505 would be the same as the line input of the 501, but it's not. (much simpler).

ok my 2x 502's have arrived,
I intend to get the JLM Powerstation to make things easy, can anyone point me to a good toroid to use from a uk supplier such as RS, CPC or Farnell ?
Im not trying to br lazy just a little afraid of getting the wrong one and messing up my gear.
Any help would be much apreciated !

Cheers

photo.php

Heres a picture:
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=3780191&id=711511200

photo.php

Ok ive racked my 2x 502 modules hooked them up via a JLM powerstation and they work including LED's.

They are unbalanced modules,

Has anyone actually successfully made their unbalanced modules pass audio when the "in" button is turned off ?

If you have what did you do? please give details.

Thank you !

Attachments

• 9032_196983861200_711511200_4226773_3179520_n.jpg
    9032_196983861200_711511200_4226773_3179520_n.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 145
Back