Racking SSL Modules

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
DigitalMetal said:
photo.php

Ok ive racked my 2x 502 modules hooked them up via a JLM powerstation and they work including LED's.

They are unbalanced modules,

Has anyone actually successfully made their unbalanced modules pass audio when the "in" button is turned off ?

If you have what did you do? please give details.

Thank you !

Hi, The result looks very decent. Well done !
About that EQ bypass......
Have you jumpered pin 21a (with the -25v) to pins 1a and 28a ?

peat said:
check this out

http://www.proharmonic.com/archive2.htm

bottom of page

Ah, yes, I've seen that before. That must have been a pretty timeconsuming project. And if you don't have the proper tools, you'll definately break the motherboard when you cut it into sections....

Funny detail, did you notice the PSU pcb ?
It's a JLM psu board, if my eyes don't deceive me.

if you look at alot of robs work he uses heaps of joes psu's and the vu buffer they designed

awesome!

Yes I have had them work with the button pushed in and out . They need a relay. Not the easiest thing to do . I just balanced mine with the factory chips. I usually do about 2 a week and have done dozens of them for my own racks. The chips are not easy to find. You can mod the thats chips to work also. I like the factory way of doing it myself . We also have made our own PCB power supplies that will power 4 - 502 units. D

I have some power supplies that I will be listing next week. We just had started testing them before the Holiday weekend . If all goes well and things look good so far I will have them on the White Market next week. So far they have tested fine for 2 SSL EQ's . Now we will test them for 4. If anyone is in need of SSL racking ? Or need cases ? I will also list them on the white market next week.  Best  DEYO 

Hi, is there somebody who could give detailed infos how to make the bypass switch
working on these beasts.:).... what´s about  the relay solution.

Thank you very much :)
cheers

ermetiko said:
Gachet said:
Hi Chris,

Did you find something about the no audio when bypassing unit?

:?:

if you are using the module unbalanced you have to solder:
TR3-j112(G on R98,D on R97 and S on C61)
R98-10M
R99-100K
R102-4.7M
C53-100n polyester
C61-220u/10v electrolytic Bi-Polar
Link on LK2

marco

I tried this and it WORKS 100% :)  !!!!!!!!  thank you marco.!! ;D

cheers

Hi

I am just gathering info on racking my 502 and 522 Eq modules.

Just a few questions I am uncertain of

In the quote below by soldering the components the unit will be unbalanced, Mine does not have the components installed so is it balanced??
I would of thought to balance the modules I would need to be adding components not removing so just making sure I am interpreting this correctly.
if you are using the module unbalanced you have to solder:
TR3-j112(G on R98,D on R97 and S on C61)
R98-10M
R99-100K
R102-4.7M
C53-100n polyester
C61-220u/10v electrolytic Bi-Polar
Link on LK2

Does anyone have any specific info on the stereo version (522). Pinouts etc....?

Hi David,

You'd have to place components if you want to use it balanced. The parts that ermetico mentioned are for a modification to get the eq passing audio when the on/off is depressed. For balanced use you'll need the original SSL balancing hybrids, or make the balancing/de-balancing off-board.

Drop me an email for the schematic and pinouts.

Paul.

Hi
I am looking for wiring diagrams of SSL modules 501 , 510, 542.

Please help me if you have schématic wiring ;)

regards

In case you want to rack em up as a channelstrip, the wiring will be fairly simple.

But now you bring this up....
Do you want to build a lunchbox out of it ?

I  have a 2 cassette busscard for the 502/542/510, and maybe one for the 501 too. I also have a few 3-row guiderails, so, this will be an excellent start if you want to build a lunchbox.
If necessary, i can wire this up for you as well, so that you only have to connect the in and outputconnectors, and the PSU.
You'd have to build a powersupply for it, and make a nice box for the whole. I recommend  the JLM powerstation with a 2x24v toroid as PSU. 30VA should do, but better get a 50VA to be on the safe side (501's and 510's use a lot of power).

In case you want to do the wiring yourself, pm me your emailaddress for the pinouts.

greetings
Paul.

Currently there are a lot of SSL modules for sale on Ebay.

I just bought ;
-a 501 micpre for just 67 gbp, I never saw them go for this little money. I paid 300 euro for my first 501 !.
-a 542 eq for just 56 gbp. Also an absolute bottomprice (For my other pair of 542's I paid 250 USD each).
-an SL520 busscompressor for 194 gbp. (this is an enhanced version of the 4000 busscompressor).  My other 520 was already cheap, 275 gbp.

In case you're looking for modules, now it's the time top buy some. Nobody seems to have the cash to buy things right now !

http://shop.ebay.com/mediaplusbroadcast/m.html?_nkw=solid&_sacat=0&_odkw=&_osacat=0&bkBtn=&_trksid=p3911.m270.l1313

Just to let you know what these modules could be used for :

-SL 520... Well. Introduction probably not needed, right ? Busscompressor. With a limiter added.

-The SL 552 is a stereo Independant Main Output module. Its stereo line amplifier is exactly the same as the programm output.
It also contains a pair of double, thermocoupled 2151 VCA's. (so, add a GSSL sidechain to this, and you have an SSL summingbox with a Busscompressor in one.)
Add a passive summingnetwork like the Neumann V475 uses, using 10k resistors, and it can easily sum lots of channels. . The summing is done by 2 MAT02's by the way (although LM394's are used in some as well). It also has balanced inserts (post summing, pre VCA), and of course balanced outputs...
I have built a summingbox with a 552 once, and it sounds great. The guy that owns this machine right now, says he can't mix without it anymore.

-The 522 is a stereo Equaliser. Same as the 502 (which is a brownknob eq), but with 3 bands instead of 4.

-507 is a mono panning buss. not that interesting. 1x DBX 202XTC VCA, but this isn't worth 40 gbp.

-527 is a stereo panning buss. It contains a "wide" button which does something with the phase, which works decently. But this also caused some legal issues regarding copyright, so, as far as I know, they weren't allowed to continue using this type of circuit. This module also contains a stereo balanced insert (not sure if it's pre or post VCA though...), and, just like the 552 module, 2x2 2151 VCAs, which can be used for compression if you add a GSSL board to it, with just the sidechainpart stuffed). The inputs of this module could be unbalanced, I can't remember. I'd have to check the schemos.

-that SL555 module contains the talkbackcompressor, without the inputtransformer though. It has a line input however.

-the 551 module is actually a remote switcher. It doesn't run audio, so, it's not useful to us DIYers.

Well, Just to let you know. In case you have questions regarding other 5000 series modules, don't hesitate to ask.  :)

By the way, a contact of mine in Uruguay is parting out a 5000 filmconsole. He probably hasn't got any eq's or SL501 pres left anymore, but there are quite some modules left that can be modified into summingamps and micpres (similar to the 9k pre). I'll let you know when I know what's available, and what can be done with it.

Hi, helterbelter

thank you for the information, I buy a SL542 module on ebay

but I am looking for wiring diagrams (542, 510, 501), I already have the XLR and the empty rack, I buy powersuplie on JLMaudio ;-)

Greg

You don't need the +6v, the leds run off the -18. Also does anybody have a schematic for these? I had one crap out after several months.

Hi

I have a probleme with my SL 542, I have no sound , but the light works perfectly

I have the master Reset to the -25V rail with the resitor

regards

Greg

below the power button, there is a small Led with the logo SSL, should it be on?

What is it?

regards

Greg

That's an overload indicator.

It sounds like you have used the balanced in and outputpins, which are optional, and usually the (de-)balancing circuits are unpopulated.

the unbalanced input is on pin 30a of the card and output is on 32a.
You're not finished though the EQ was made to work in
conjunction with the dynamics card so you must jumper
pin 21a with the -25v to pins 1a and 28a. (I usually put a 10k ohm resistor between the -25v and the masterresetpin 1a)

EGprod !

It's looking great ! Is that a Recycled Audio case ?
And as expected, I see that the balanced circuit is missing on the 542. Maybe I've got a few sets of balancing hybrids for sale soon. In case you, or somebody else, wants to have balanced in and outs on their 502/542/522 eq's.

StudioSQ said:
what is the -24 rail for in the 502 eq. Also where do i get a schematic?

Logic -VE rail. ( Logic +VE rail is -18v).

schematic.... I'll email it to the gdiy account today.

Back