Racking SSL Modules

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
yes it's a Recycled Audio case...

I use a 501 balanced direct output , the 542 is in a send/return EQ bus ...

Greg

Hi, I have a complete Documentation for 501, 502 and 522...
If You use the JLM 5-Rail Powerstation You definiteley need a proper Heatsing!
It can Handle a max of 4x 501 and 4x 502/522! But only with a very good HS!
Cheers,
K.

Gachet said:
if you are using the module unbalanced you have to solder:
TR3-j112(G on R98,D on R97 and S on C61)
R98-10M
R99-100K
R102-4.7M
C53-100n polyester
C61-220u/10v electrolytic Bi-Polar
Link on LK2

marco

This works great!!!!!! Thanks a lot!!!
Just a hint, watch out the orientation of the J112!!

Thanks to all for this post, it helped me so much!! Thanks!!

Cheers,
Jxrg

Ok,

here are some pix from my build.
I'm using JLM for de-/balancing, because my SL502s have the balancing option not installed.

With the front panel i'm not 100% happy, but i will leave it as it is now (maybe later in a
few 100 years will re-do it  ;D )

ROCK-ON!

Attachments

• Dr-J_SL502_#01b.jpg
    Dr-J_SL502_#01b.jpg
    213.2 KB · Views: 88
... fighting with the attachment function... ;D

Attachments

• Dr-J_SL502_#09c.jpg
    Dr-J_SL502_#09c.jpg
    291.7 KB · Views: 101
Can someone post the schematic to these in the new technical docs section of the forum since none of the info is in the g-mail account?

Thanks,

-Casey

Hi

Does anyone have any specific directions regarding 501 modules?
I'm racking a pair now, DIY from scratch (diy own power supply: +48, +18, +6, -18, -24)

particularly pinouts
thanks

To the best of my knowledge, it'd be much more reasonable to stuff the symmetry section of the board instead of having another third party unit doing the job. Does anyone know by chance what these chips are called so that I can look em up on ebay?

Also, in my case, I'll be having not only the EQ (542) but also the input mono module, which as far as I know employs a symmetry section?

How would I end up wiring the EQ to the Input module? I presume before the symmetry stage and therefore the connector?

Mike

excuse myself - my racked SL502 modules start selfoscillating when I turn up the gain more than about 3-5dB. That is why I use it as a synthesizer now :)
my other SL501 (mic preamp) is working perfectly, so I guess my '5-rail JLM-Audio' powersupply is doing it's job properly and is connected to the right pins.
master reset 1a is connected to -25V through a 10k resistor, otherwise no sound comes thrugh (I use the unbalanced in/out)
I'm out of ideas :(
please gimme the right hint so I can make an EQ out of my synthesizer.
I have four of these SL502 - they all behave the same way, so I doubt that they're all faulty (but who knows).

ltn.koerschgen said:
Hi, I have a complete Documentation for 501, 502 and 522...
If You use the JLM 5-Rail Powerstation You definiteley need a proper Heatsing!
It can Handle a max of 4x 501 and 4x 502/522! But only with a very good HS!
Cheers,
K.

I want to clarify something here. Am I to understand that you were able to get the JLM-5 to power 8 cassettes off of one supply card? In my case I want to run 8 x 502's in one chassis and 6 x 502 and 2 x 510's in another. I want to be certain that only one card is needed for 8 cassettes.

Lastly, what power transformer did you end up using in this instance? Any suggestions for "a really good heat sink"?

FWIW, I plan on running these modules "unbalanced" first so I will not need the 501 cards. I may create a THAT circuit later to balance the inputs if the noise becomes an issue.

Any guidance you could offer is very appreciated.
Dusk

Hi,
I run 4x Micpres and 4x Mono EQs in one Chassis with the JLM Powerstation V2 with the four boost diodes.
I used the 4mm thick alloy square cutout piece from my Frontplate as a heat sink, its about 5x5 inches.
Then i mounted the heatsink to the bottom of the metal chassis to get even more cooling.
I think i used a 2x25v Transformer but I dont how how much power it has.
I can take a look tomorrow. I used a pretty big one, but it gets warm...
I mounted the Transformer outside the Chassis, because the SSL Modules are pretty long... (I know its not correct, but it will alwas stay in my studio). The SSL Rack gets very Hot! Even more than my Tube gear...

The currents of the SSL Modules are as follows:

501 - 140mA +18v rail, 140mA -18v rail, 75mA for the logic rail

502 - 50mA +18rail, 50mA -18v rail, 75mA for the logic rail (unbalanced
version)
502 - 75mA +18rail, 75mA -18v rail, 75mA for the logic rail (balanced
version)

522 - 75mA for all 3 rails (unbalanced version)
522 - 120mA for the +/-18V rails and 75mA for the logic (balanced version)

If anybody ned the File for the Frontpanel, just send me a message...

Cheers,

Koerschgen

Hey everyone, I know this is an old thread, but rather than starting another, this seemed appropriate. 

I just got 16 SL 502 modules and am hoping to rack them into 2x 4u chassis this year.  I don't have any schematics, but have read over this thread.  Also, I have a power supply made for these units that was used as a replacement for an entire 5K 72 channel console, so should easily power 8 of these.  I DO have the balancing cassettes as well.

So, I don't completely understand how to hook up the balancing cards.  Any help here?

Also, since I have the cards,  I shouldn't have to populate anything on the SSL card itself, correct?

Can someone share a schematic for these cards?  Even better, a diagram for racking these? 

I have a fair bit of patience and am pretty hardcore with a soldering iron, but in a tiny bit over my head. 

Thank you!

Neil

Update:  I did acquire the schematics for these and figured out how to board mount the balancing drivers.  Also, figuring out what components I need to source for the balanced input/output option.  This is going to take some time. 

One thing I could use some help on is sourcing the correct euro connectors for these.  Does anyone have a successful match from mouser that is known to fit?  The catalog can be overwhelming.

Neil

For anyone interested in boards to rack SSL 5000 modules checkout the blackmarket post.
https://groupdiy.com/index.php?topic=73440.0
s-l1600.jpg

Hi all,
I´m loking at racking an SSL 292 EQ card, but with a +-15V power supply instead of +-18V. Would you see a drawback in general sound/dynamics character, when doing it this way, or is it just a reduced headroom by a few dB (which I could live with).

Thanks & best,
Christian

Latest posts

Back