Rant: Why do people refuse to consider acoustic treatment?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChrisMM

Hello all, I've been a lurker for awhile who has learned a lot here and very much appreciate this place. I'm a generally happy guy who tries to keep an outlook of gratitude whenever possible. So, the rant that follows is not characteristic of the vast majority of posts I plan to make here.

I just don't get it. Acoustics is what separates pro studios from "home" studios. Proper acoustic treatment is the single greatest investment one can make towards improving the sound of a home studio, and it doesn't even cost that much compared to other gear. Even a few gobos around the instrument can make a world of difference in an otherwise-untreated room. And, it's a one-time investment that pays off every time you use the room. Ever since I discovered for myself how much better my own work sounded with acoustic treatment, I've been shouting this from the rooftops now for decades to all my musician and home recordist friends. And... Absolutely no one cares. It's starting to drive me insane. I'm starting to wonder if they're all somehow right and I'm the crazy misinformed one.

Some people do music for fun. They don't care about treating their rooms because they aren't in it for professional recording results. Others do care about treating their rooms, but haven't had the time or budget to do it yet. These are not the people I'm ranting about. I'm ranting about those who are in it for pro reasons, and expect pro results, yet refuse to invest in room treatment.

I've been in at least two home studios where the owners went to great efforts to construct a nice-looking room with beautiful flooring and paint and wonderful finishing in general. Of those two, one had carpeting hung over half of the walls in the tracking area and zero treatment in the control room, and the other had zero treatment anywhere (and was the size of a closet). Both of these guys (unrelated to each other) were very serious about turning their recording into a business. The carpet-treated room sounded so unbalanced it almost made you feel sick to be in there, like the air was being sucked out of your ears or something. In both cases, these guys struggled to get the level of sound quality they were after (gosh, why could that be?). I recommended to both of them to consider at least adding bass traps and fiberglass panels to their mixing rooms, and explained what a huge difference that makes and why, explaining how every pro studio has acoustic treatment for a reason, etc. All I got from them was a deer-in-headlights look. It just never even occurred to them to think about acoustics in the first place.

A third guy, friend of mine, paid me to write up a budget-conscious plan for how he could treat his home tracking room. I assessed his room and sent him a document describing exactly which panels he could buy and where to place them, while staying within his budget. He then proceeded to completely ignore all of my advice (for which he paid me money), opting instead to cover his room with zero acoustic treatment of any kind. He routinely struggles to get a decent sound in his room (well shit, I wonder why?). He calls me over to help him find that magical mic placement that'll make it sound good. I've told him 500 times by now some version of "the room is coloring your sound for the worse, you need acoustic treatment to really fix this", and it just goes in one ear and out the other every time. I tell him acoustic treatment would save him the trouble of hunting and pecking for that magical mic location that somehow lands in a tonally-okay part of the room, that he doesn't need to waste hours repositioning mics until he finds it. I tell him it would save him a ton of time and headaches if he would set up gobos (if only he had any!) around his instrument, and that this would give him massively better results even if his mic placement isn't optimal. Does he ever try it? No! He comes back to me and complains that he "can't hear enough of my instrument" and decides the solution is to spend more time hunting for that just-right mic location. This is someone who is a perfectionist about his sound quality, who regularly records songs and releases them.

Friends, why?? Why do people do this to themselves?? What am I missing here?

Not that this is a productive thing to think about, but I couldn't help coming up with some possible reasons. One is that acoustics is just too hard a concept for some people, and they figure if they personally don't understand it, then it must not be that important. A kind of self-centered magical thinking. Or maybe just a case of succumbing to an unknown unknown. Another is that acoustic treatment is not sexy enough, and some people are in this game to impress the opposite sex more than anything else...or they just fall for the marketing and only buy the things that are shiny and sexy. (I explain to these types that the sexiest thing about a studio is being able to release top-quality recordings, but somehow this concept never lands with them...maybe I am in fact wrong about this being the sexiest thing about a studio...)

Finally, I myself am absolutely not an expert in acoustics. I only know and accept the basics of what it takes to make a room sound decent for tracking and mixing.

Thanks for letting me get this off my chest!

Chris

It also depends on the requirements,
in the case of a electronic music bedroom home studio
where to rough out a project and then mix it into a pro mixdown room
and monitors are low watts power,
between bed, carpet, curtains, etc...
probably not much acoustic issues to make it,
..apart from maybe disturbing grandma,

totally different case if the room is a studio tracking room,
where drums, brasses, strings, piano, choir, etc.. have to be recorded,
and each instrument type require proper acoustic (& mikes) setup
then the room have to be properly equipped,
and the cost of it push many to empirical solutions
which unfortunately leave time to be found,

or worse still,
they buy, and not cheaply,
panel kits in musical instrument shops
being persuaded by salesmen who are only interested in selling (obviously)
but that of acoustics really ...... .

Since internet spread, much can be found around,
but seems that still a sufficient basic culture in this regard not,

perhaps by spreading the square meter/foot cost
of a pro world standard studio (devices excluded)

could it help ?

I'm happy to bring you a positive update to my initial rant!

I brought three gobos over to friend #3's place and set them up around his instrument. He immediately heard the improvement. I knew he would; he has a very good ear. In fact the improvement shocked him, and right away he started asking how much he should save up to buy his own set of gobos! Finally, my point gets through! So, there is hope.

I'm still confused as to why he didn't listen to me in the first place. Maybe my explanation skills suck? Maybe no explanation could've been as convincing as hearing the results speak for themselves? Who knows. I'm just happy that his room will now be much less painful to work in, both for his own sake and because I frequently get asked to work there.

Chris

The other one that drives me crazy are restaurants, and they don’t need anything elaborate at all. I went to one when it first opened about a dozen years ago and they weren’t even that busy yet, and it was already unbearable. Two full walls of floor to ceiling glass, tile floor, and plaster ceiling and walls. One big echo chamber. Amazing food, but hard to enjoy it. I told the owner, that I already casually knew, that I could make some affordable ceiling panels for him and wrap them in the same color fabric as the ceiling, and that if he was concerned about the look that he could come check out my studio. Needless to say about a year later, after constantly receiving complaints from patrons and staff, he hit me up. I did about 50% coverage using 1” O.C.-filled panels hanging about 6” down. I went there after they closed at night to hang them and was listening to music on their house setup, and as I hung more and more I would have to turn the volume down to hear it at the same level. It could use a bit more, but it’s way better than before. The staff would thank me every time I went there after that. It was a lot of work that I don’t really want to do again, but I still try to suggest the pre-made stuff to other places and they don’t bite.

I helped Ethan edit his "Audio Expert" book....

I don't think this is a secret but he is working on another book (I've seen a few chapters).

JR
Ethan's work was responsible for me seeing the light on acoustics 20-ish years ago when I first fell down the music production rabbit hole. I bought my first rigid fiberglass panels from him back when he sold those. More recently I discovered his Mojo Maestro circuit, surprisingly useful for how simple it is. I'm forever thankful for his contributions to our field!

The other one that drives me crazy are restaurants, and they don’t need anything elaborate at all. I went to one when it first opened about a dozen years ago and they weren’t even that busy yet, and it was already unbearable. Two full walls of floor to ceiling glass, tile floor, and plaster ceiling and walls. One big echo chamber. Amazing food, but hard to enjoy it. I told the owner, that I already casually knew, that I could make some affordable ceiling panels for him and wrap them in the same color fabric as the ceiling, and that if he was concerned about the look that he could come check out my studio. Needless to say about a year later, after constantly receiving complaints from patrons and staff, he hit me up. I did about 50% coverage using 1” O.C.-filled panels hanging about 6” down. I went there after they closed at night to hang them and was listening to music on their house setup, and as I hung more and more I would have to turn the volume down to hear it at the same level. It could use a bit more, but it’s way better than before. The staff would thank me every time I went there after that. It was a lot of work that I don’t really want to do again, but I still try to suggest the pre-made stuff to other places and they don’t bite.
Speaking about restaurant acoustics I have an amusing anecdote. Back several decades ago when I was still trying to sell premium RIAA phono preamps, I was visiting at the house of the editor of one of the several audiophile (phool?) rags popular back then. He shared a story that is too good. He (the editor) was having dinner with a high end (?) audio manufacturer and his wife. The wife complained about the restaurant's sound system, remarking that the piano didn't sound natural.🤔 It turns out that there was a real piano playing in an adjoining room. :rolleyes:

JR

Speaking about restaurant acoustics I have an amusing anecdote. Back several decades ago when I was still trying to sell premium RIAA phono preamps, I was visiting at the house of the editor of one of the several audiophile (phool?) rags popular back then. He shared a story that is too good. He (the editor) was having dinner with a high end (?) audio manufacturer and his wife. The wife complained about the restaurant's sound system, remarking that the piano didn't sound natural.🤔 It turns out that there was a real piano playing in an adjoining room. :rolleyes:

JR
That’s classic haha. While I do think there’s a level of phoolery when it comes to ridiculously priced accessories and “upgrades”, some of the components are no joke. After Hurricane Katrina my studio partner went to install a new system in a doctor’s house, and he gave him the stuff that flooded. It was a pair of B&W Nautilus 802’s that got water halfway up the bottom driver, and a pair of Rogue Audio M-120 tube monoblocks that were totally submerged. Probably $15,000 worth back then that I’d never be able to buy. He replaced anything on the amps that could’ve been affected (except for the transformers), replaced the bottom drivers in the speakers, then we set it up in our main room and holy cow, I had never heard anything that sounded that great in my life. One of the power transformers finally shorted out about 5 years later and blew all 4 KT-88’s. Scared the hell out of us haha. The speakers still work perfectly.

Acoustic treatments are a necessary evil.
It's interesting: my experience tells me that "the sound" is the talent, in the room, through the recording chain, in that order or importance. And for a live listening environment, it's the source, in the room, at a specific listening place (again, in that order of priority). So the room is squarely second place in terms of importance regardless of whether or not you are recording or just listening.

Which says to me that the acoustic treatment / acoustic properties is/are more important than any piece of equipment that is used to record a source: and maybe second only to the playback system for live listening. A great talent in a shit room will sound like garbage no matter what equipment is used. A great loudspeaker in a shit room will also sound like garbage, except in maybe exactly one 3-dimensional spot in that room. A shit speaker in a great room sounds like garbage, but you know exactly why.

No matter which way you cut it, a good acoustic space is paramount to anything related to audio, above and beyond almost all else. But like the original poster, I've found most people don't want to discuss it, much less address it.

It's interesting: my experience tells me that "the sound" is the talent, in the room, through the recording chain, in that order or importance. And for a live listening environment, it's the source, in the room, at a specific listening place (again, in that order of priority). So the room is squarely second place in terms of importance regardless of whether or not you are recording or just listening.

Which says to me that the acoustic treatment / acoustic properties is/are more important than any piece of equipment that is used to record a source: and maybe second only to the playback system for live listening. A great talent in a shit room will sound like garbage no matter what equipment is used. A great loudspeaker in a shit room will also sound like garbage, except in maybe exactly one 3-dimensional spot in that room. A shit speaker in a great room sounds like garbage, but you know exactly why.

No matter which way you cut it, a good acoustic space is paramount to anything related to audio, above and beyond almost all else. But like the original poster, I've found most people don't want to discuss it, much less address it.
I may be remembering through rose colored ear muffs, but I have heard some talented musicians sound pretty damn good jamming in lousy acoustic spaces. Several times after tearing down trade show booths we would gather in the hotel bar du jour, and the occasional show clinician would make impromptu music with a barely tuned hotel piano. I recall one time a very good guitar player rocked out on a plastic toy guitar that was left sitting around. Of course after several days of being nice to the trade show tire kickers, and several beers I was in a receptive mood. ;)

True talent can shine through despite limitations.
=====
That said I generally agree with the importance of acoustics. It's like cooking with clean pots and pans, or low distortion audio paths. I've seen DIY recording studios with cardboard egg crates stapled to walls to improve the sound sitch.

JR

Totally agree @Matador. Reminds me of recording with an engineer that worked in one of the bigger studios in NYC. He recorded a few tracks with what I considered at the time less than optimal gear. The room itself sounded fantastic and you can imagine my reaction when I heard the playback. A good sounding room/acoustics is pretty much everything.

The best way to sell acoustical treatment is with sound files of previous before/after jobs. Hearing is believing. Sometimes a few couch pillows and a blanket hung on a music stand can sell the job. Listen to their latest project with and without. That said, design is a walk satisfying more than just technical demands. When you get to aesthetics it can be a bigger clash. Gobos are usually ugly and people don't want to see them when not in use. You never see a gobo in a Tec awards photo, and thats how people see their rooms. I know that the speakers should be mounted on the wall but I think they are ugly with the brackets and prefer to design them to be recessed or otherwise hidden. Some people WANT the brackets and stuff because they think it looks hi-tech. It's all a balance.
Mike

Latest posts

Back