RCA BC-2B tube console restorations

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Went with Redco to make some panels.  I mocked it up in Front Panel Express, then priced it and connectors.  Then checked with Redco, they can deliver with connectors installed for hardly any more.  I decided the PRE out and MIX in TRS will be Switchcraft 14B's, so either will break connection suitably, or not.

I'm going ahead with the PREout/MIXin conversion to 600 ohms.  Fingers crossed there are no gremlins there. 

I'm waiting on the remainder of parts and tubes.  PSU to console is 11 runs, so it's a shielded 6/18AWG/300V for filaments and relays, and another 5/18AWG/600V for B+/- and grounds. 

Sunday bump.

And while I'm here, why not post a picture of Jim and the Blue Boys in the control room of Nashville's RCA Studio.
My guess is it was taken in the late fifties (before the Langevin pres came in?).

There's thread over GS discussing use of Langevin pre's.  If I am recalling correctly someone said that Langevin modules were retrofitted as an individual personal choice - after market mod.  Headroom?  Grass is greener on the other side?

I'm certainly curious of what RCA circuit was used in the studio consoles - exact same as broadcast line?  Differences in headroom - speech vs music recording? 

That picture appears to show a master routing console at a broadcast distribution center.  I'm not aware of any console that ever looked like that.    Note the dense row of pushbuttons for routing assignments, and the VU on every channel.  Neither adds up to standard console needs.  Great picture though, where'd you find that one? 

Interesting, Doug.

OK, now I don't want to hijack your nice thread, so just tell me when it's enough.  :)

Actually, RCA did their Nashville recordings at the Methodist Television Radio Commission (1525 McGavock Street) at least until the new studio (1610 Hawkins Street) was ready. This new studio was built in 1956, but Jim's first recordings there were in late 1957, so there probably was some overlap. It is now known as Studio B, but at the time the bigger one next to it hadn't been built, yet.

Interestingly, the box on the grand in this picture (same session) says Studio A on it.  :-\

The pictures are from the Bear Family 16 CD box. I wanted to post them in the older Gearslutz thread, but I didn't at that point (being a good boy, respecting copyrights). But this is a much smaller community, so I decided to make an exception. Another reason is that the box is no longer available. However, I might change my mind, so y'all better take a good look now.  ;)

Here's a few more pics of Jim in Studio B, in the second one you can see the Photophone line amps in the rack:

http://www.pinterest.com/pin/405324035183705156/

http://www.pinterest.com/pin/405324035183705143/

GS thread:
http://www.gearslutz.com/board/so-much-gear-so-little-time/641588-jim-reeves-vocal-chain-3.html

Nice ones, too, Doug.

The one with the guitar and chrome top, um.. bottom U47 is from 1957, so that could have been taken even before Jim first recorded there. Often, such pictures were staged, i.e. not taken during an actual recording session.

The one from 1962 has sound legend Bill Porter on it (when he and Jim were still on speaking terms, but that's another story). This picture clearly is the control room in the studio that is now known as Studio B.
The pictures I posted may have been taken at the older, "broadcast" studio, which would jive with your observations.

Anyway, carry on.  :)

PSU wiring for both consoles done.

AC input
PGM/MON filaments
PRE filaments
Relays
B-
GND
MON B+
PGM B+
PRE B+

11308339955_a3da9a2ccb_b.jpg

11308336005_b0fd38cb23_b.jpg

I should add that it's doubtful most people will ever want the relay controlled operations having to do with 'on air' lights and such, in that case leaving the 1/4A fuse out of the PSU makes sense.  Or put in a blown one as a placeholder.  The relay control can be configured for 'one studio' or 'two studio' operation.  Fairly complex options given the massive amount of hand wired looms. 

Freaks out the client.  It's not all pro's like the old days.  You gotta record when they don't know it. 

I guess the light might alert the deaf, they seem to find their way into the studio with alarming regularity.....

OMG my panel layout is hilarious. It proves definitively that you cannot take Front Panel Designer at face value for XLR size.  I had a suspicion, and Redco said "erhm....this won't work".

New layout with XLR all on the bottom and TRS all up top, only way to have it fit in the required height. 

The picture labeled Blue Boys in RCA control room, not correct. Pictured is a Western Electric master control console in a network radio station. If you look carefully at the knobs they are not the round knobs w pointer but rather the distinctive western electric mushroom knobs.

Had 5 of them & sold on ebay for $125-, to a guy in japan.

One filament test done, fired a PSU with the rectifier out.  All looking good so far.  119VAC in gave around 6.4VAC at the filament output taps in the PSU, wire losses knock that down closer to 6VAC.  I have ten feet of wire, so you see a loss at the console input taps seen below, and another loss at the modules themselves. 

11474745616_686e30f37d_b.jpg

Bill Wilson said:
The picture labeled Blue Boys in RCA control room, not correct. Pictured is a Western Electric master control console in a network radio station. If you look carefully at the knobs they are not the round knobs w pointer but rather the distinctive western electric mushroom knobs.

Had 5 of them & sold on ebay for $125-, to a guy in japan.

Yeah, we had a feeling something didn't jive. Thanks, Bill!

Still, when comparing the various pictures, including these:
http://www.scottymoore.net/studio_mcgavock.html
http://www.scottymoore.net/studio_b.html
http://www.scottymoore.net/studio_rca.html
... I do have some questions left.
But I'll save those for another thread.

Latest posts

Back