Recommendations for good Neumann Clone shockmount?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

canidoit

Hi All,

I have to get a shockmount for the U87 and was wondering whether anyone has any recommendations for a clone shockmount.

My concerns are that some of the cheaper clones have thin suspension strings but I have also read that some of these clones are as good as the real Neumann.

Hi All,

I have to get a shockmount for the U87 and was wondering whether anyone has any recommendations for a clone shockmount.

My concerns are that some of the cheaper clones have thin suspension strings but I have also read that some of these clones are as good as the real Neumann.
I ordered this for a friend's u87ai. Honestly I was pretty impressed with the quality. MUCH better than the Peluso $100 junk mount that broke with very little use.

https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256...il_item.3.55dff19ckkfcSB&gatewayAdapt=glo2usa

Last edited:
@rock soderstrom, Those shockmounts come with 4 to 5 different screw bottoms depending on the seller you buy. See which mic model listed in the table below is the-same screw bottom as your Nova mic?
s-l1600.jpg

71fjLhbdIBL._AC_SY879_.jpg

The seller cancelled my order stating it does not fit the U87, but I don't think they know their product, probably a drop shipper.
I might get a semi decent Rode or Rycote shockmount that's more of a wrap around the mic body shock mount?
Anyone tried that and which models work?

@RuudNL, is the swivel knob plastic or metal?

Thanks.

What is the diameter of the four lock nuts supplied? Does this shockmount fit the M-Audio Nova by any chance?

View attachment 116990

I think yours is a 22mm because I have seen that type of mic stand mount before, and their usually 22mm. How do they usually measure from the inside thread using your calipers, does it count the threads poking out, if so, then would it be 22mm?

I think yours is a 22mm because I have seen that type of mic stand mount before, and their usually 22mm. How do they usually measure from the inside thread using your calipers, does it count the threads poking out, if so, then would it be 22mm?
I think you are right, its seem to be a 22mm thread. I will test it. If it doesn't fit, I'll use it with a another mic. No risk at this price. Cheers

20231113_141240.jpg

@rock soderstrom, Those shockmounts come with 4 to 5 different screw bottoms depending on the seller you buy. See which mic model listed in the table below is the-same screw bottom as your Nova mic?
s-l1600.jpg

71fjLhbdIBL._AC_SY879_.jpg

The seller cancelled my order stating it does not fit the U87, but I don't think they know their product, probably a drop shipper.
I might get a semi decent Rode or Rycote shockmount that's more of a wrap around the mic body shock mount?
Anyone tried that and which models work?

@RuudNL, is the swivel knob plastic or metal?

Thanks.
Hi, if you purchase the silver one from the link, it will fit the u87ai. I just ordered it a couple months ago tops. Again... really surprised by the quality for the price.

Hi, if you purchase the silver one from the link, it will fit the u87ai. I just ordered it a couple months ago tops. Again... really surprised by the quality for the price.
I ended up getting the Geekria brand from Amazon that clearly states U87 in their ad, but with the 5 bottom screws, it should cover the other model mics as well.

I think they're all the-same copies, just rebranded with one extra bottoms screws in some models like Geekria.

I ordered this for a friend's u87ai. Honestly I was pretty impressed with the quality. MUCH better than the Peluso $100 junk mount that broke with very little use.

https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256...il_item.3.55dff19ckkfcSB&gatewayAdapt=glo2usa
@vintagelove, are you getting any touching issues from slight movement when the inner basket suspension cord holders hits the outerbasket? As the U87 is a heavy mic, there were some complaints that the baskets easily touch causing noise, as the suspension cord are a little thin or weak.

It seems fine on smaller, lighter mics like TLM-103.

@vintagelove, are you getting any touching issues from slight movement when the inner basket suspension cord holders hits the outerbasket? As the U87 is a heavy mic, there were some complaints that the baskets easily touch causing noise, as the suspension cord are a little thin or weak.

It seems fine on smaller, lighter mics like TLM-103.
No issues like that with mine. It held the mic very stable. Though I didn't tilt it totally sideways or anything. I'll check it out later. Take care.

If you are talking about the Rycote Invision USM, there was complaint where a user had his U87 scratched by it.
https://gearspace.com/board/connect...ed-my-microphone-i-dont-recommend-anyone.html
I couldn't figure out how though, as the holders touching the mic are rubber.
I've been using Rycote for more than 10 years on dozens of microphones, from rare vintage to modern junk and the mounts have never scratched a mic or caused any problems. Some powder-coated paint will show marks from anything touching the paint surface, but that would not be the case with Nuemann mics.

I've had several off-brand Neumann-style mics fail. Either the welds on the suspension arms broke or the screw stripped, or the swivel mount (metal) cracked. Granted, these are in a commercial studio with a lot of wear-and-tear. We also have to replace the elastic on our mics every few year, where the Rycote mounts last forever.

@kags, aren't the Rycote plastic?
Parts are plastic. She me kind of magic, I guess. From their site:”The USM utilises specially designed clips with Rycote’s patented Lyre Technology. Made from robust Hytrel thermoplastic, the USM will never sag or need rethreading. This indestructible, innovative design provides an additional 12 dB of isolation compared to conventional elastic suspensions”

Seriously though, these are dependable and durable.

I mean, the body is plastic, not just the suspension or is the body metal?

Are you finding screwing it on and off for different mics time consuming? I mean there are 4 screws to consider, then having to line the mic up to the middle and mic height.

I seen an example on youtube where a user was doing it for several of his mics and it seemed time consuming.

Latest posts

Back