Recording Accessoiries

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi

I've ordered a pair of Line Audio OM1

Here is the link to the video teaser I made and recorded the music for : this music is concerned by the excerpts I posted in this thread

I used a Superlux S502 ORTF on piano / a t.bone SC1100 (Thor's modified circuit) on violin / a Warm Audio WA84 on alto violin / a 6AK5 DIY on cello. A touch of reverb was added in the mix. 24-48 recording format.

Last edited:
If you're going to be recording such music on a regular basis, you really need to aquire the book I recommended, and study it thoroughly; mics this close on each instrument is not the way this type of group is recorded by most Classical engineeers in a church or other natuarally reverberant acoustic - it's the way Pop or Jazz would be recorded in a studio. Classical string instruments need much more distance for the mics to pick up a better-blended and less scratchy sound (especially with cardioids).

A much better approach would be your ORTF well out front (4 to 6 feet) and about 7-9 feet up, with a second pair of SDC cards (about 8 inches apart; parallel to each other) near the tail of the piano which is mixed at a very low level just give a little extra articulation to the piano (and may not be needed at all, depending on the piano and the room).

Even better for the main pair out front would be SDC omnis (the Line Audios would do well) spaced about 18 to 20 inches apart, and a little closer to the group (depending on the room). Only omnis will give the full low end of the piano.

Last edited:
A much better approach would be your ORTF well out front (4 to 6 feet) and about 7-9 feet up, with a second pair of SDC cards (about 8 inches apart; parallel to each other) near the tail of the piano which is mixed at a very low level just give a little extra articulation to the piano.
Ok... Waiting to test this configuration, you would level up by 2-3dB the piano in the mix... ?
Even better for the main pair out front would be SDC omnis (the Line Audios would do well) spaced about 18 to 20 inches apart, and a little closer to the group (depending on the room). Only omnis will give the full low end of the piano.
Yes, that's why I got the OM1 pair 😉

Thank you for your observations !

One can't 'prescribe' the level of the piano mics; needs to be done by ear (and takes a fair amount of experience; especially if doing so with headphones), or recorded to their own tracks and mixed later.

I re-panned the piano mics to (say) 9am - 3pm and doing that the piano level has raised a bit... The phase is so also now full coherent. Will be my Master mix for this concert (day one).

Day two an alto violin came in the orchestra and this will be another and new mix.

Latest posts

Back