Red Bull Stratos

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Actually, he commented that he couldn't tell how fast he was going...because there was no reference to base it on.
The free spin didn't look all that fun....as there's obviously minimal air to leverage yourself against for stability. But it's one hell of a jump tho....and to have the experience of literally jumping back onto the earth and seeing it from that height? Nice...
[/quote]

the very thin air is the reason why he couldn't tell how fast he was. if he would have been at +mach 1.2 in the lower part the drag would have torn him apart easily. the velocity vs time curve must have been a jumpstart to mach 1.2 and then slowly reducing speed due to the friction getting greater. I don't know for sure but his speed when releasing the parachute was probably close to regular speed, at least compared to the mach 1.2!

- michael

abbey road d enfer said:
Well, it doesn't awe me... I remember, I was a kid, I saw "the Flying Abbott". He was a real priest, dived from 45 meters (150ft) into a tiny waterhole; all the money went to his parish paying for vacations for the kids. This I admire.

For the whole of this stunt I kept wondering what the big deal was technically. We went to the moon already, now that was something. But there is the aspect that this is the dawn of commercial space aviation and not part of a nuclear war that was the NASA space program. That rates high in my book and it might shape the future quite a bit. I wouldn't mind working in that field for example.

Kingston said:
abbey road d enfer said:
Well, it doesn't awe me... I remember, I was a kid, I saw "the Flying Abbott". He was a real priest, dived from 45 meters (150ft) into a tiny waterhole; all the money went to his parish paying for vacations for the kids. This I admire.

But there is the aspect that this is the dawn of commercial space aviation.

Not only that, but a new extreme sport.  :)

Kingston said:
But there is the aspect that this is the dawn of commercial space aviation and not part of a nuclear war that was the NASA space program. That rates high in my book and it might shape the future quite a bit. I wouldn't mind working in that field for example.
I would. Space aviation as a sport for the very rich, wasting our natural resources...

9.8ms^2 up until he hit a reasonable atmosphere at which point air resistance would provide a decelerative force up until he slowed to terminal velocity. At which point the air resistance equals gravity and he maintains zero acceleration but constant velocity.

Terminal velocity is dependent on shape but for him its likely to be comparable to that of a skydiver at only 195kmh or so. So he would have decelerated a lot after breaking the speed of sound which is up past 1000kmh.

Or something  ::)

pucho812 said:
well we do know how fast he was accelerating or would newton not apply here ???

All laws apply...

There is a terminal speed for typical sky divers where the wind resistance equals the acceleration of gravity so velocity stabilizes, but IIRC that speed is only 100-120 MPH or something like that.  However the wind resistance will be much less at the altitude he jumped from, while the gravity will still be similar to surface strength (only very slightly less). So he probably accelerated to a higher max speed and then slowed down again as he reached lower denser air that acted like a brake.

Imagine sticking your arm out the window at 800 MPH.    :eek:

@ abbey: I suspect if this turns into a sport for wealthy dare-devils, they would be wasting "their" resources.  (sorry, I am a little saturated with campaign rhetoric). 

JR

pucho812 said:
JohnRoberts said:
pucho812 said:
well we do know how fast he was accelerating or would newton not apply here ???

Imagine sticking your arm out the window at 800 MPH.    :eek:

JR

is it still attached when i bring it back inside? No thank you.
If there's little to no atmosphere when you do this, you will still have your arm.  :p

Well, none of us was there, so marketing can say anything they want about the dangerosity, the superb achievement, whatever. What I see is Felix did not faint, did not suffer, made a nice and soft landing and was looking strong, healthy and smiling right after.

Abbey Road: Do you want to tell us what's wrong? We're here for u...

;D

tumblr_mc8j0lIo2f1qg8hk1o1_500.jpg

Back