Repairing an u87

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you don't trust Texas Instruments TI 2N3819 fets on sale (there are still old stock aviable and I believe they shouldn't be fakes), you could try a Motorola made ones, surely there aren't fakes and they all work pretty good in my experience.

Last edited:
If you don't trust Texas Instruments TI 2N3819 fets on sale (there are still old stock aviable and I believe they shouldn't be fakes), you could try a Motorola made ones, surely there aren't fakes and they all work pretty good in my experience.
I found some NOS motorola and they ALL test really close to one another, and a mic maker of some note told me that Neumann used Motorola in the 70s. No idea if it's true though.

It wasn't a voltage or capsule problem. I had fake 2N3819s.. The microphone seems to work with a BF245 now.. BF245 is probably not a very good choice though..

Since I shouldn't comment on its frequency response, noise level etc., I am giving the microphone back to its owner.. We can later try other FETs. The capsule might also need cleaning or reskinning..
The BF245 is good it is the same as a 2n3819 look up the specs

Please go ahead and check all electrolytic covers, where there are leaks, and resistors, I have repaired many U87s like this.

Attachments

• vintage u87 05.jpg
    vintage u87 05.jpg
    405.9 KB · Views: 1

Latest posts

Back