Replacing a U855QL Microphone

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LetGodPrevail

At my church, the room for kids has a podium and microphone (Audio Technica U855QL) but the microphone hardly picks up sound even when speaking directly into the microphone (nearly eating it). I purchased a new microphone off Amazon (Samson CM20P) and after plugging it in, I couldn't get any sound at all. I replaced it with the old U855QL and was able to get sound, but again at hardly any volume at all.

I'm at a loss of what to do next. Am I getting the wrong type of replacement microphone? Should I look into replacing cables at this point?

The old microphone uses a dynamic transducer, which does not require a power source, while the Samson is a condenser microphone and requires Phantom Power. Typically that will be activated on the mixer, PA, etc... that you are plugging the microphone into. Most often it will be a button / switch that is marked "48v".

@LetGodPrevail

Your “older” microphone, the Audio-Technica

U855QL | Cardioid Dynamic Gooseneck Mic

As you can see, it is a Dynamic Microphone with a moving coil and as you may have to know, Dynamic Microphones DOES NOT Require a power source, aka the well-knowing “Phantom Power” which are the 9 ~ 52 Volts that your system has to deliver from your microphone pre-amplifier …

From the other hand, your “newer” microphone the Samson

CM20P

It is condenser microphone with a condenser element (condenser capsule) and as you may have to know, Condenser Microphones DOES Require a power source, aka the well-knowing “Phantom Power” which are the 9 ~ 52 Volts that your system has to deliver from your microphone pre-amplifier…

Both of these microphones are Gooseneck Microphones, which means that they may look similar to your eye, but their operation (dynamic vs. condenser) is total different as you can see, so the only think that you have to do, is that you have to activate the +48 Volts bottom of phantom power at your microphone pre-amp. to makes your Samson . CM20P to work properly..

Last edited:
The original post has far too little information to able to assist at all.

- What are you plugging the mic into? Does plugging another dynamic mic (everyone has an SM58 or two around) into whatever it is, sound fine? If so, then you probably have a damaged mic, or there's a broken connection in it's output plug.

Back