Restauration of STUDER 169 console

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
AK79 said:
i like the extender

can you give me a hint where to get the connectors ?

thanks
arne

in your console... if you use only 2 bus!!!!! you have 4 spare connectors in it that you will never use!!!for quad !!!

so 4 connectors are there
......latter if you want you can return them to console!!!!!!!

:)

Excellent how-to with excellent photos!
I did not realize there is a simple 'de-magnetizing' procedure for transformers!
Is it really a hearable improvement or do you do this just to be sure that nothing is sub-optimal?

Calibration of Studer was easy ... only problem was calibration of limiter

1. calibrate DC - DC converter

2. Calibration of Input modules was very easy to set 10db on fader amp..(with multiturn trimpots its very easy heh )

3. calibration of outputs x4 ..2 for stereo out, 2 for sends... THD calibration, easy by the book

4. CALIBRATION OF LIMITER WAS PAIN!!!!

5.calibration of talkback module and monitor module went great BY THE BOOK!!

6. still have to calibrate meter bridge!!!

--------------------------

ok lets get back to limiter calibration.... problem of calibration was to get identical levels in master modules..

HERE IS WHAT WAS A PROBLEM .... there are few zener diodes 7,5v and few 1N4448 diodes..
CHANGE THEM ALL and then do calibration of limiters!!!

they were leaking and voltages were not correct .. old diodes out , new in!!!!!!
hope that will help few of you guys who do calibration of your studer 169 consoles!!!!

OK one note!!!!

I realized that all faders are not same in my console

and that took me cca 3 inspections of all modules to realize all mess!!!!

1. all faders have same part nr in studer service manula 1.169.550.00 BUT they are not all same!!!

2. in my desk i have 4 different values of faders!!

3. having that mixed I didnot like how my 169 behave!

so I service manual is pointing to only 2 values of faders in 169
2Kohm in input channel (mono) and 5Kohm in master... after a resears i realized!!!!

studer marked faders with their code (i think so heh )

and

markings on faders:

926 = 2K
902 = 3K
944 = 5k
104 = 10k 

I'd add to this really useful topic some things I've done in the last years:

1] cleaning pushbuttons
All you need is a syringe and some contact cleaner fluid.
There are small linear openings at the rear top of the switches.

syringe0.jpg

syringe1.jpg

2] Transformers repair
I've had a faulty line transformer in an input module:
the primary's connections [6 and 8 are the interesting ones in input module] to the pins
were lost.
Repairing them is really easy, all you need is a little tip on your iron,
positioning the transformers so the solder will flow, thanks to gravity law, towards the wire, and a firm hand.
[as you can see, I've also cut/melt some of the plastic on pins 6 and 8, to have the wires nearer to the pins]
After that, the transformer started to works perfectly, measured also its winding DC resistances, completely in specs.

repaired0.jpg

repaired1.jpg

3] Adapting a 961/962 meterbridge
In this topic I've documented how to 100% use the features of a 961/962 meterbridge in a 169/269 console.

working0cropped.jpg

hi roginator,
i like the project. i own and use one as well. only i use the insertion out to go to my convertors. what is the difference in your mod? and where is the physical output then?
thanks,
jan

I have just the same problem with one of the line transformers in my Studer 169, I have opened and I can see the wires coming to the pins in number 6 , 7 and 8, but I can not measure nothing between 8 and whatever other pin.

I should have a low resistanve between 6 and 8, no? am I missing something or just I have to solder it again?

I can see the wire on pin 8...but should be shorted inside the winding, my component tester and multimeter couldn´t measure any resistance on this pin.

Attachments

• studer transformer.jpg
    studer transformer.jpg
    912.9 KB · Views: 30
Hey guys,

anyone had success in finding the edge connectors for the extender cards in one of the online stores or somewhere else? Looks kind of normal, but none of the big suppliers has these special 10+3 contact edge connectors in stock. Also I don't have enough unused one in my console, to build 3 extender cards, that are needed for calibration.

Thanks!
Ray

Hello

Whoops said:
Hi,
I never heard about these in older modules, is that a common procedure?

How do you perform that?

Thank you so much

Have a look at section 2.6 and 7.4 in the service manual

Best
Zam

Back