Retro cool inside apex 460

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

funkymonksf

Hello,

I am in the process of turning my apex 460 into a C-12 Clone. Common mod, but I was hoping to get rid of the old PCBs and do it point to point. Inside the original C12 I noticed they used some sort of clear plastic disc to divide the connections and some others mic used turret boards. I looking for some inspiration and ideas of how I could implement these into my build ie where can I buy the matertials and does anyone have any experience with this?

Here are some pictures of what I am trying to accomplish.

Attachments

• CM12transside.jpg
    CM12transside.jpg
    127.5 KB · Views: 181
You could just go to an art store and pick up some plexi glass. I just used some for a capsule mounting plate in a mic I built. Works great! Easy to work with as well.

You can usually find good thick sheets of perspex inside old, dead flat screen LCD monitors and TVs.

Have you checked McMaster-Carr, do you know how to use a search engine?

I look up the MSDS for anything I machine.  With plastics you need to be aware of fume and dust issues.

Thanks. McMaster was my first thought. Good call on the MSDS.

Do any of you have pictures or notes on your own mic projects regarding custom innards?

-Brice

There are 2 common types of clear material, acrylic ("Plexiglass") and polycarbonate ("Lexan"). The acrylic is easier to find, cheaper, but it is brittle and harder to fabricate. Polycarbonate, on the other hand, is more easily worked and doesn't shatter. I only use polycarbonate.

Here is a pic of the inside of a mic that I just put together. Not a tube mic, but could give you some ideas. Just some PCB standoffs, some proto board, and plexiglass. This setup is pretty popular on here.

Back