SA-3A (LA-3A Clone) Support Thread

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi there, I don't know if I'm too late for the kits but I've ordered PCBs to get a stereo SA-3A and I dont even know if there're some left... I tried to contact them and still no answer so to all of you out there, where could I find at least the front panel for this little stereo baby?

Hi there

could you please get a bit more in detail to what the 600 ohm load does to the circuit and on how to connect it?

I would really appreciate it - i do not see an optional space on the board, it looks like it is all populated!

Sage

sage said:
could you please get a bit more in detail to what the 600 ohm load does to the circuit and on how to connect it?
I would really appreciate it - i do not see an optional space on the board, it looks like it is all populated!
Already described by rob61, lift one side of R46 to get the switch in between.

Hi everyone!

I'd be grateful if someone could give me some ideas how to continue with my stereo SA-3A.

The problem is that when I reduce gain I only get more and more distortion. When gain reduction is on zero the sound is clean. This happens in both channels!

I pulled out TB's during investigation and it didn't change the sound but the meter in G/R mode stopped reacting.

Any hints are very much appreciated!

Harpo said:
Thego said:
The problem is that when I reduce gain I only get more and more distortion.
Mixed up wires at gain pot CW and wiper connection maybe ?

Thanks for the tip, but unfortunately case is not that. Very frustrating when knowing that the problem is probably something as simple as that.

I think it's about two years when I started putting this together before I put it gathering dust and Im not sure of all the things I'v tried.

I'd be happy to hear some more suggestions before I start rewiring the machine.

jason baliban said:
Here is a time-lapse video I did while building the SA-3A.

http://youtu.be/Z3UfptIswE4

Hopefully it helps somebody along the way.

jB
Thanks for the video JB, very useful.

Does anyone have the schematic?  It used to be in the first post of this forum, but it's not there anymore and I need it to finish my SA3A.
Thnx

hey guys

im trying to figure out the following:
if i do not need most of the mods - can i simply not connect their molex connectors? i can't tell since there is no shematic of the actual serpent audio circuit. cheers

So I wired up my Dual La3 and got a smoked resistor at r17.

I replaced it and hunted down a couple of cold joints and was about to rewire all the switches/pots  when i realized that i soldered T3 TOO CLOSE TO THE BOARD! :( I was very careful to give plenty of space to transistors, but just made a bonehead mistake.

Is there any way i can lift it up just a hair without having to buy new xfrmrs? usually lifting a component isnt too big a deal, but since this one has so many legs i've been trying for the last 20 minutes with no luck at all. any tips? or is the component likely fried anyway since i powered the unit up already.

First use a solder sucker to carefully remove the solder from the pins.
It takes some practice to get good at this...
Then extra carefully to get something like a flathead screwdriver between the pcb and the xfmr.

If that's not possible take the xfmr between thumb and pointer and try to put the soldering Iron on all pins of the same row at once and then try to slightly lift up only this one side of the xfmr and then do the same for the other side.

A better way would be using a desoldering station but I assume you don't have one at hand...

It's kind of a drag without one but still doable.
You need to be careful and patient though  ;)

FWIW, I've used a heat gun to remove transformers from boards also, just gotta be REALLY careful you dont get too close, just enough to melt the solder joints all together.

hey
does anyone have a wiring diagram for this. it would really help. supposedly there was one at some point. its gone for some reason...  thx

Harpo said:
sage said:
Already described by rob61, lift one side of R46 to get the switch in between.

Does anyone have a pic of this?  It would be really helpful.  Thank you in advance.

Brotastic said:
Does anyone have a pic of this?  It would be really helpful.  Thank you in advance.
:eek:
Instead of the resistor R46 soldered in between the pcb holes for the R46 position (x)--[ R46 ]--(x)
you will have an additional switch in series to the one side lifted resistor leg (x)--[ R46 ]-----./.--(x)
for a 600R termination with the switch closed (for connecting to modern gear)
or for an unterminated connection with the switch open (for connecting to 600R impedance historic gear).

Next to drilling the mounting hole for the switch, the most difficult part is choosing the correct colour for the hook up wire in order to not insult your eyes. ;D

Harpo, thank you so much for clearing that up.  I am still a bit confused about the wiring.  I attached a crude wiring diagram.  I appreciate everyone's patience with my rudimentary questions. 

Again, Thanks.

Dan

Attachments

• 20140415_164825-3.jpg
    20140415_164825-3.jpg
    637.9 KB · Views: 34
Brotastic said:
Harpo, thank you so much for clearing that up.  I am still a bit confused about the wiring.  I attached a crude wiring diagram.  I appreciate everyone's patience with my rudimentary questions.
In series to the resistor between the thru holes. SPST will do for mono. Edited pic shows a SPDT switch. For stereo either use two SPST switches or one DPST switch.
Brotastic.png

hey
i just finished my first unit. everything seems fine but id like to make shure that its safe to plug in the urei opto before i do so.
i measure 27.5v on pin5 in output mode of the gr meter and 11.5v in gr mode. cant be right i guess... please help an idiot :)

Back