Schematic Rode NT2-A

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RuudNL

Do we have the schematic of the Rode NT2-A?
I did find some kind of 'artist impression' of this microphone, but I wonder if there might be another schematic.

Attachments

• nt2a-circuit.gif
    nt2a-circuit.gif
    484 KB · Views: 14
A little off topic maybe, but the youtube channel EEBlog had a great multi-episode interview with the Rode mic designer that delved into the electronics quite a bit.
Very interesting...

That looks positively painful to look at... Not blaming you though, of course.

I reverse-engineered mine, and drew the schematic in a much more... conventional and sense-ful way (i hope) 😁 Well, minus the capsule bias generator.

Attachments

• NT2-A_schematic.png
    NT2-A_schematic.png
    36 KB · Views: 20
I had found that hand-drawn one myself, but my brain couldn't twist the right way to fully comprehend what was going on. And since i had to troubleshoot it anyway, i figured i might as well unravel its mysteries completely.

I tried a stupid but easy mod: to skip C11 and C12 with a jumper. You lose HP pad but gain a liiitle more low end and less top end, so a bit nicer overall. In my sample the voltage difference between theese two points were only 0.2v, so pretty safe to give a try

I tried a stupid but easy mod: to skip C11 and C12 with a jumper. You lose HP pad but gain a liiitle more low end and less top end, so a bit nicer overall. In my sample the voltage difference between theese two points were only 0.2v, so pretty safe to give a try
OK. I would have increased the values of C11 and C12 to extend the lows according to taste and I would have still had HiPass possibilities (of course at lower frequencies than the stock ones).
Of course it's a matter of personal preference, but I've always liked the stock NT2a. I have two and only one modified (but to reduce the highs very little).
It's an excellent microphone, a bit too clean, (a little transformer saturation, some harmonics, would do magic).
It doesn't matter, we put it in a Neve😃

Attachments

• Screenshot_2024-02-10-17-24-26-499_com.android.chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_2024-02-10-17-24-26-499_com.android.chrome.jpg
    345.7 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
OK. I would have increased the values of C11 and C12 to extend the lows according to taste and I would have still had HiPass possibilities (of course at lower frequencies than the stock ones).
Of course it's a matter of personal preference, but I've always liked the stock NT2a. I have two and only one modified (but to reduce the highs very little).
It's an excellent microphone, a bit too clean, (a little transformer saturation, some harmonics, would do magic).
It doesn't matter, we put it in a Neve😃
I did that in the broadcaster thread (not the same topology but still similar)

https://groupdiy.com/threads/rode-broadcaster.85703/

How did you tamed the highs?

If memory serves, the circuit in the original NT2 was in the Schoeps family, so to speak, and designed by Jim Williams.

The same circuit was used in the earlier B-series Behringer mics.

It's been a while and I'm rusty, mind!

And this might not add much.

I saw it but haven't tried yet, will do someday!

Isn't the inductor nessesary?
Yes if it addresses only the peak, notch filter, for HF roll off it can be omitted, but the values of the cap and the resistor that goes in series with it should be tuned. Cap to ground in this circuit won't work, as the whole circuit, as described by Doug Ford, is very different than typical ones we often discuss here. @micaddict this is NT2A, newer one, not Schoeps based.

Back