Scott Hampton Class A Opto Comp with schemo and parts list!

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
[quote author="matta"]Thanks Ptown,

I'm a newbie board etcher... got to start somewhere ;-)
Have you started on your yet?

Cheers

Matt[/quote]

No, i haven't yet, but I've etched tons of boards. Hell, i've even done some hand drawn with a sharpie and they work great, even if they look ugly.

Hey this looks like a good one. I'm thinking this will happily mate up with some hamptone jfet opamps that i have... all the same transistors etc which is nice. I think I'll etch these up very soon.

I have a question for Ptown.

What is the actual size on your board?
I think I'm having some graphics import issues...

Thanks.
Sleeper.

Hey Thanks for that.
Looks like I might etch this to etch this tonight. :grin:

I'm considering a switch for ratios.

Guess we'll have to check it out with a pot first and then find some values that work.
I don't know when I'll get to this, I haven't even ordered the optos yet, but I'll paste this down for my own reference (or someone elses if they'd like to give it a shot)

here's how SSLtech does it.

Set the threshold so that there's about 8dB of compression. Set the make-up gain to read a known figure... perhaps 0dB on whatever scale you choose. Then increase the input by a calibrated amount... I suggest 10dB. At 2:1 compresion, the output should increase by 5dB for a 10dB input increase. -starting with a goodly amount of GR at the baseline measurement before you increase the input signal will make sure that you're away from the 'knee'.

For each ratio measurement, re-check your baseline level and re-adjust the makeup gain to get you to a convenient point, if necessary.

Anyhow, PTown, thanks again.
Sleeper

[quote author="craigb"]re: opto slopes

I've been fooling around with a stereo opto-comp circuit using VTL5C2's for some time.

[/quote]

I picked up a bunch of these from BG Micro a while back and would love to see what you've come up with.

Hey Ptown,

I can only assume they are R (Ohm?s). They are not designated on Scott?s
Schemo, nor in the parts list I have seen, through the K ohm?s are, so an
educated guess would be that they are R, all I can offer right now. I?ll see
if I can?t confirm it, but I?m pretty sure they are R.

How is yours coming along? Are you stuffing your board already?

Cheers

Matt

Well.......

unfortunately, two of the parts are "special order" for newark, and they seem to be the only place that I can gett all 4 remaining parts that I need at once.

Seems like a huge waste to order $3 worth of parts from mouser and pay $12 for shipping, retarded....

I'll post the secong it's done.

I've been looking for these type of enclosres... I don't even now what they are called or where to buy ?

Anyboby...???

OPT17.jpg

I finished the comp a couple days back. It is very usable. The sound is not colored from what I have the materail I have tested it with. I am going to mount it in a cheap rat shack enclosure. Pics then. Anyone else built this?

These enclosures look identical to the one Craig Anderton used in the book "Electronics Projects for Musicians". I would be cool to get some like that if they were cheap.

Matt

I'm new here so forgive me:

This appears to be a unballanced circuit. How hard would it be to add some tasty trannys to this design? Without modification to the pcb?

The modules Scott used appear to be similar to the Vector Electronics EFP DIN series modules here: http://www.vectorelect.com/Product/Subracks/EFP-Module.htm
They sell these at Mouser, Digikey and Allied. For example: http://www.mouser.com/catalog/624/1384.pdf
The only problem is that they are so damn expensive. $164 US for the chassis and $31.29 US for each of the 1.6" modules. It's cheaper to stick with Par-Metal racks for now.

Cheers,

elco

[quote author="fucanay"]These enclosures look identical to the one Craig Anderton used in the book "Electronics Projects for Musicians". I would be cool to get some like that if they were cheap.

Matt[/quote]

Have you seen this?

http://www.paia.com/fracrak.htm

The rack is 33$ and the front module plates are $3.50. Paia also sells bipolar 15V amd 18 V. PSs for them too which don't take up a rack space. They are alos anadized already. I dunno... they are a lot cheaper than anything else Iv'e seen though not as zoot with full enclosed boxes and all that.

Kiira

Back