Screws size

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

3nity

Hey guys.
I lost the screws that comes with par metal cases. Anyone know what size and thread type those?
Thanks

It's been awhile.....but for cases with the front panel handles, IIRC, they use larger screws for the handles.

EDIT.....I ASSume PAR handles shipped with the cases are the same as those sold individually. If so, either 8-32 or 10-32 screws.

http://www.par-metal.com/product-a-60series.php
Bri
Yes you are correct, we do not use their handles or front panels, so I don't have that answer in my skull. They do have a PDF for each case series on their website with the data though.

I do have a pile of handles here. I think we purchased 40 or 50 cases from them before I realized I could order them without the handles, or hardware, or front panels.

Last edited:
The various PAR rack chassis docs only mention 6-32 to hold everything together while making just a passing mention of the handles. That doc for individual handles "refreshed" my aging memory <g>.
Just because I THINK I recall something, that can be often in error! LOL

I guess @3nity is on his own if he's using the handles. If it was me, I would take a handle to the local ACE/whatever hardware store and determine if the particular handles require #8 or 10 screws. That would answer what the maximum screw length would be as well.

Bri

It's been awhile.....but for cases with the front panel handles, IIRC, they use larger screws for the handles.

EDIT.....I ASSume PAR handles shipped with the cases are the same as those sold individually. If so, either 8-32 or 10-32 screws.

http://www.par-metal.com/product-a-60series.php
Bri
[If so, either 8-32 or 10-32 screws] -- I can also vouch that rack-handles on rack-mount chassis typically are either usually #8-32 or #10-32 in size.

As far as "length" goes.....you're good using 3/8ths-inch (0.375") in length.

>> The handles on this rack-chassis design use #8-32 X 0.375-inch flat-head (countersunk) machine screws:

1706337887971.png
1706338207592.png

/

@MidnightArrakis With the commercially sold PAR Metal chassis designs, the rack handles actually attach through holes on the "folded lips " of the side panels of the unit. Pix are worth a million words:

http://www.par-metal.com/product.php
Not saying good/bad/indifferent, but the design has worked for me and other folks! <g>

This was from 20 years ago....I do my "green" AC Mains safety grounding totally differently/correctly now. But, you can see how the handles attach to the chassis.

Attachments

• PSinnards.jpg
    PSinnards.jpg
    248.7 KB · Views: 0
We buy them without the screws and use our own 3/16" long black oxide stainless steel screws. Handles are replaced with a black acorn nut assembly. I have factory handles and screws for 10-and12 series here if anyone needs replacements for ones lost. We use/stock 12 series cases in two, three and four U currently.

I stand corrected, 1/4" on the original screws. We use slightly shorter ones, and use torque limiting screwdrivers (4.4 in/lbs) to install them. Somebody upstairs here, not gonna name names, but has a tendency to rip out or strip PEM nuts.

Attachments

• tempImageiwxhsw.png
    tempImageiwxhsw.png
    12.8 MB · Views: 1
Over the years I’ve had the faceplate attach in different ways. Some have no threaded insert and you have to secure with a nut or use the threaded handle. I have some with #6/32 threaded inserts and others with #8/32 threaded inserts.

the original poster for this thread does not appear to have come back. I think it is cool (and funny) that he had an answer minutes after posting.
[the original poster for this thread does not appear to have come back] -- I have seen this happen here on this forum more than once. It makes me wonder if some people become either overwhelmed and/or scared at the amount of "immediate friendly advice and help" that they receive from the various members on here!!! HECK!!! I have even gone through the entire process of custom-designing a 1U rack-chassis for someone who requested that type of assistance for a mic-preamp project of theirs..........only to never hear back from that member again!!! Such is life, huh???

/

Latest posts

Back