SE Electronics Z3300a

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I own an sE z3300a and I want to use the mic body and some of the components in order to make it into a Rode Classic 1

I've use a Z3300 mic several times in the past, it's a really good mic and sounds pretty good stock.
I would not butcher it to try to make it a different thing, it would be a shame actually.

If you want to build another mic and you don't have an use for the Z3300 as is you will be better off by selling the Z3300 and use that money build the other mic from scratch.
You can get all the parts around here or in Aliexpress, there's nice bodies for sale that are clones of the FET47 and are pretty good, all the other parts will be available also.

Hello ! I have a z3300a too and would like to mod it...
Does anybody know the transformer ratio ? the one installed is iron so a better one could maybe improve the sound...
I was thinkin about Arienne's UTM0547F

Does anybody know the transformer ratio ?

Considering the circuit seems to use a JFET for the impedance conversion, and an additional BJT, it's pretty safe to assume the transformer is a pretty low ratio, like in MXL's and sE2200, so 2:1 or so. Nothing you can't check with a couple connectors, a couple wires and your audio interface (or audio interface and an oscilloscope).

Thanks Khron
I propose to generate a 400Hz from my smartphone and mic it and then I mesure trammy In and Out volts and then I got the ratio ?
Wich trammy ref. would you advice to increase quality (at a decent budgent > +/- $50) ? Arienne's UTM ones are higher than this ratio...
Best Regards

I mesure trammy In and Out volts and then I got the ratio ?

... With a multimeter that has reliable AC response at 400Hz. Oscilloscope would be a bad idea, you probably don't want to connect either of the XLR signal lines to earth...

Wich trammy ref. would you advice to increase quality (at a decent budgent > +/- $50) ?

What does "quality" mean (to you)?

that's the question... also knowing that a 2:1 Tr does not "color" the signal in a signifiant way, I should maybe not too much worry about this part...
First of all I will replace the original caps. by Arienne U47 flat and do some tests

Hello ! I have a z3300a too and would like to mod it...
Does anybody know the transformer ratio ? the one installed is iron so a better one could maybe improve the sound...
I was thinkin about Arienne's UTM0547F
The transformer in the z3300 is very good (about 2:1 ratio) as is the rest of the microphone. It was originally manufactured by Feilo for the SE. The problem is the capsule, has exaggerated high-mids, good for an acoustic guitar but not for vocals. The circuit has no de-emphasis. Put an Arienne Flat K47 capsule and you will have an extraordinary microphone.

Well, I want to improve the sound if possible (like we all try to achieve with DIY, no ?)
Knowing that the sE z3300 is a Fet with a correct Schoeps-like amp circuit (as everybody attest in different forum) then the two parts to worry about, I guess, are the Capsule (1rst of all) then the output transformer...

The transformer in the z3300 is very good (about 2:1 ratio) as is the rest of the microphone. It was originally manufactured by Feilo for the SE. The problem is the capsule, has exaggerated high-mids, good for an acoustic guitar but not for vocals. The circuit has no de-emphasis. Put an Arienne Flat K47 capsule and you will have an extraordinary microphone.
Wow ! that's what I wanted (was hoping) to ear ! :)(y) Thank you for your reply

Well, I want to improve the sound if possible (like we all try to achieve with DIY, no ?)
Knowing that the sE z3300 is a Fet with a correct Schoeps-like amp circuit (as everybody attest in different forum) then the two parts to worry about, I guess, are the Capsule (1rst of all) then the output transformer...
Z3300 has nothing in common with Shoeps
It is jFet+BJT+Tansformer

In Z3300 old version, Feilo used original transformer Lundahl, then they copied well, I would say, that transformer, for reasons of profitability.

In fact, and to be clear, I dont own a sE z3300 but a t.bone SC1100 wich is an special order from Thomann to sE with a different rebranding... but circuits are z3300 circuits (not even copys)
But I spoke about z3300 because most people know it (and not sure for t.bone SC1100)

Attachments

• Capture d’écran 2024-02-29 à 14.41.34.jpg
    Capture d’écran 2024-02-29 à 14.41.34.jpg
    482.6 KB · Views: 0
In fact, and to be clear, I dont own a sE z3300 but a t.bone SC1100 wich is an special order from Thomann to sE with a different rebranding... but circuits are z3300 circuits (not even copys)
But I spoke about z3300 because most people know it (and not sure for t.bone SC1100)
I have 2 different models of t.bone sc-1100 and Se Z3300a. They have the same scheme
Mechanically different the pattern and hi-pass switches
In the older models DC/DC is copied after Neumann with jFet and BJT, with a shielded inductor, in the new models it is a converter with a single BJT with two axial inductors as in most microphones.
The audio circuit is similar.
The sc-1100 capsule is quite good, but bright, sibilant.
The circuit can be modified by adding the de-emphasis network.

I have 2 different models of t.bone sc-1100 and Se Z3300a. They have the same scheme
Mechanically different the pattern and hi-pass switches
In the older models DC/DC is copied after Neumann with jFet and BJT, with a shielded inductor, in the new models it is a converter with a single BJT with two axial inductors as in most microphones.
The audio circuit is similar.
The sc-1100 capsule is quite good, but bright, sibilant.
The circuit can be modified by adding the de-emphasis network.
Yes but as you advice me, I will replace the caps. by the U47 flat by Arienne I just received this morning...
It's just for tests because these two U47-flat must take place in an entire DIY LDC mic project (real Schoeps-like this time) with nice pre & polar boards I bought from a good guy (Thet) based in UK
But... if the SC1100 sounds great with Arienne's I will have no issue than re-order 2 more for my DIY project :D
Never too many mics when you love that !

I must verify but I think my SC1100 has a shielded inductor (like a little big bell right in the center of the boardo

Attachments

• Capture d’écran 2024-02-29 à 15.21.45.jpg
    Capture d’écran 2024-02-29 à 15.21.45.jpg
    192.8 KB · Views: 1
In DC/DC from some versions they used the jFET
2SK105!!!
Neumann used it in some U87 revisions.
I was very excited to find it!✨

Attachments

• 1709216090955_1709216121664.jpg
    1709216090955_1709216121664.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 1
  • the-tbone-condenser-microphones-the-t-bone-sc-1100-studio-large-_1709216044086.jpg
    the-tbone-condenser-microphones-the-t-bone-sc-1100-studio-large-_1709216044086.jpg
    77.1 KB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot_2024-02-29-16-11-58-841_ro.mercador_1709215981078.jpg
    Screenshot_2024-02-29-16-11-58-841_ro.mercador_1709215981078.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
In DC/DC from the old sc-1100 version, they used the jFET
2SK105!!!
Neumann used it in some U87 revisions.
I was very excited to find it!✨
unfortunatly I got the new version... anyway I hope it's gonna sound (very) good with U47-flat

Latest posts

Back