SE Electronics Z3300a

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Voltage of Phantom with the mic disconnected of 44v is too low for proper mic operation. The normal value is 48v, sometimes it reaches 52v without load.
this is the voltage my Edirol UA-25EX gives me (it's my card for monitoring, testing, etc) and it's USB powered only
> I must try on my Presonus 1810C ! wich is powered by a Meanwell 12v 4A
I'll let you know today . Thanx micolas you're kind ;) :)

this is the voltage my Edirol UA-25EX gives me (it's my card for monitoring, testing, etc) and it's USB powered only
...merde!
Edirol UA-25EX is 5V USB 2 Bus powered and cannot ensure a correct Phantom, neither in terms of voltage nor current.
You must use the Presonus 1810C interface.

Last edited:
Voltage of Phantom with the mic disconnected of 44v is too low for proper mic operation.

That's a big fat "maybe" right there. Specs for the SC1100 pretty clearly state:
"Power supply via phantom power 48 V (±4 V)"

Edirol UA-25EX is 5V USB 2 Bus powered and cannot ensure a correct Phantom, neither in terms of voltage nor current.

And that statement is based on what, exactly?

My advice is to give up Edirol for good, it's entry-level, it doesn't have special specifications, it doesn't have suitable drivers for the new operating systems.
I gave it up for 8-9 years. Anyway, I used Edirol only for projects without great claims, and because it was developed by Roland for the DAW Cakewalk, which I have been using for over 30 years since it was born under the name Twelve Tone Systems.

My advice is to give up Edirol for good, it's entry-level, it doesn't have special specifications, it doesn't have suitable drivers for the new operating systems.
I gave it up for 8-9 years. Anyway, I used Edirol only for projects without great claims, and because it was developed by Roland for the DAW Cakewalk, which I have been using for over 30 years since it was born under the name Twelve Tone Systems.
I use it between my MacBookPro and my speakers, at my desk, as a USB DAC if you want... not to record ! I use it also to control that mics are functionnal. Because my 1810C is racked in a 6U model with my DIY pre's. That's all folks

@Khron : what could be the problem with my dumb mic knowing that the voltage that feeds the polarisation circuit is only 1v at the firts resistance ? (and the mic that's functionnal is 24v)
the first bjt (C1008) ? the fet (K105) ? the two of them ?

And that statement is based on what, exactly?
I have used Edirol UA-25 for many years. Cakewalk was bought by Roland.
It did not satisfy me, compared to ESI WamiRack 192X with AD converter AKM of 123dB mastering grade, and EMU with the same AD converters.
(which Digidesign also used in the most expensive interfaces)
(As I said before I gave up Edirol for 8-9 years. Anyway, I used Edirol only for projects without great claims, and because of drivers developed by Roland for OS and good implementation for the DAW Cakewalk, which I have been using for over 30 years since it was born under the name Twelve Tone Systems.

Attachments

• ua-25ex_cw_front_main.jpg
    ua-25ex_cw_front_main.jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 0
You're right micolas, but as I said, I use this Edirol just to amplify what goes out from my Mac, at my desk.
I don't record, nor mix with this interface : it's better than plug to the headphone out, no ?
For recording (mobile only) : 2 quad mic pre tubes + Presonus 1810c (4 real line inputs) / Logic
For mixing I have a pair of Presonus R65 (with AMT) and a pair of tweaked JVC SX911 (3 way high-fidelity) + Mosfet 2x50w DIY so that's fine.

I have used Edirol UA-25 for many years. Cakewalk was bought by Roland.
It did not satisfy me, compared to ESI WamiRack 192X with AD converter AKM of 123dB mastering grade, and EMU with the same AD converters.
(which Digidesign also used in the most expensive interfaces)

I understand English is not your first language, but where exactly have i asked anything at all about your history with that interface?

I thought i pretty clearly (only) asked you to bring any sort of proof regarding your claim that

???

@Khron said:
That's a big fat "maybe" right there. Specs for the SC1100 pretty clearly state:
"Power supply via phantom power 48 V (±4 V)"

I was referring strictly to the particular case of the Edirol UA-25 which is USB powered and cannot ensure ideal operating conditions for optimal microphone performance. At 44v without load, procured from a 5v old USB Bus, the voltages, currents, in the microphone, do not satisfy me for a correct analysis.
We are trying to analyze the 1100's circuit under proper conditions, not altered.

I understand English is not your first language, but where exactly have i asked anything at all about your history with that interface?

I thought i pretty clearly (only) asked you to bring any sort of proof regarding your claim that

???
My long history with this interface informs the problems I've had with it, including the ability to deliver good Phantom power,
and I wanted it to be a strong warning that the Presonus will be better, which it has confirmed: the Phantom is adequate.

I was referring strictly to the particular case of the Edirol UA-25 which is USB powered and cannot ensure ideal operating conditions for optimal microphone performance. At 44v without load, procured from a 5v old USB Bus, the voltages, currents, in the microphone, do not satisfy me for a correct analysis.

Well, you should remember that even though it's old, it doesn't strictly only use linear regulators - otherwise, kinda tricky to get 44-48v from 5v, i'm sure you'll agree ;)

And what exactly is wrong with the "5v old USB Bus"? 500mA is plenty for so many other interfaces to work just fine, so what exactly is wrong with this one?

Phantom power short-circuited to ground, so ~26mA in total considering the 44v present (i'm sure one could easily tweak a feedback resistor to get the "full" 48v), is still an absolute worst case of 1.1W or so - but that's with zero volts available at the XLR. That's still well under half of the ~2.5W available from a bog-standard USB power circuit found in computers, so...

Yeah, all i'm seeing is claims on top of claims with no proof, still 🤷‍♂️ "I don't like it" doesn't count, i'm afraid.
Not that i have any vested interest in that UA-25EX, but i'm very much a "why?"-guy. And since we're talking voltages and currents, those are pretty concrete things which, if they're unwell, there should be clear technical reasons why. Otherwise it's just plain disinformation...

@Khron
Yes, there are clear technical reasons why
Presonus offers 48.55v phantom voltage and Edirol only 44v.
And to be able to provide real help with the sc1100, we need to use the same reference system.
I have 48.* v Phantom from my interface.
I personally cannot compare the correct functionality with a 44v system.
And I prefer that all 4 wheels of my car have the same diameter.

44v is still within the stated specs of the SC1100, as well as the Z3300A, so... What's the actual problem? 🤨

Back