Searching for a good dynamic mic capsule - pimp my Schumann MDS 3

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Seriously 500 bucks ? Just buy a broken DT770 or 990 250ohms , save a working capsule and install it in a (large) and correctly vented body et voilà !

Yeah, that sounds convincing. You can't save a lot of money with rolling your own dynamic microphone. Little demand - little offers.

Coming late to the party, I attach my list of low cost dynamic cartridges I have tried. This is a very rough draft and hardly a complete index or thorough review of any, but may be of some use to someone ... um ... maybe. SEE ATTACHED PDF DOCUMENT

I am afraid I am a big fan of dynamic microphones for various applications, including speech recognition, close talking amateur radio transceiver input, and just low cost get the job done applications.

...so I'm a weirdo? ;D

Perhaps ... but not because you asked this question !! :)

James / K8JHR

Attachments

• Dynamic cartridges data recap report 1a small font .pdf
    1.1 MB
The chinese "kingkorg" cardoid capsule has arrived. Here are a few shots. does anyone know in which microphones they were originally installed?

Yep - these are frequently sold as replacements for SM58 cartridges - they look somewhat like them, but not really. I have had several of them and can provide audio clips if helpful.

James

By the way, Mr. @rock soderstrom - I have tried all of the cartridges listed in the attached PDF document - and still have most of them and can easily provide sound samples of any I might still have on hand. I have passed a couple of them on to others, donating a couple to a local charitable organization. The ones with the silver tops that look like Shure Dual-Dyne types are maybe best choice - but only single diaphragm. The fake Sennheiser is interesting, a little less full with less proximity effect, yet very clear and articulate. Lemme know if I can provide any specifics and I will do my best comply.

Happy trails. James

Coming late to the party, I attach my list of low cost dynamic cartridges I have tried. This is a very rough draft and hardly a complete index or thorough review of any, but may be of some use to someone ... um ... maybe. SEE ATTACHED PDF DOCUMENT
Very informative, (y) I will read through it tomorrow again. I'm very interested in the sound samples, I'm sure I'm not the only one...if it's not too much work you can put them online here. Maybe in a dedicated thread too, it would certainly deserve it!

I am afraid I am a big fan of dynamic microphones for various applications, including speech recognition, close talking amateur radio transceiver input, and just low cost get the job done applications.

Perhaps ... but not because you asked this question !! :)

James / K8JHR
Great PDF! I believe the Takstar in there is sold on Aliexpress still. I have seen listings that look like that, called either TS-2 or a DM-24 (links to listings there). Takstar also seems to use a similar looking capsule but vented the other direction in the TA-68 mic.

Latest posts

Back