Sending Frontpanels: Advise !

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes a 2U is what you need...

For my G1176, I used a 8" deep chassis. The part number for that is 10-19083X. Put either B, G, or E in for X depending on what color you want. B=black, G=grey, E=beige.

So for example, I got mine in black, so I ordered 19083B. In fact I just ordered two of these for my SSLs.

I want to share the design I finished today for my G4000s... It's in PDF format. I put cavities in there so I could get the size of the knobs. I'm open to suggestions and comments. Let me know what you think.

Thanks again Frank for the .fpd files.

It looks like the cost will be about $37 per panel.

G4000 with Weston Meter - 2U

[quote author="Greg"]For my G1176, I used a 8" deep chassis. The part number for that is 10-19083X. Put either B, G, or E in for X depending on what color you want. B=black, G=grey, E=beige.
[/quote]

Dude, thanks for taking the time to drudge up this info.
This post is probably the only actual part number reference (in all the 1176 related threads) in these forums. Very helpful.

[quote author="Greg"]No, u don't need those with the par-metal chassis. I would suggest to get the exact mounting hole placement of the par-metal. You can get this from their website. It might be a little different than what is on Frank's designs.[/quote]

Hmm, it looks like you used a similar hole placement to attach the front panel. (I hope you don't mind, I swiped the image of your project.)

mystery_hole.gif

I'm just going to buy the par-metal enclosure before I ask any more stupid questions.

To be safe, I can probably just eliminate the holes from the frontpaneldesigner order and then drill them myself just to be exact.

By the way Greg, your finished product looks amazing. Nice job.
I like the use of differing colors of hookup wire on the inside. Very clean.

Kato

The holes will already be there on the par-metal chassis... I just put them in there so I know where they will be when I design my front panel. Before sending in the panel to be engraved, I just remove those holes, as well as any cavities I used for knob size/placement.

Thanks for compliments... I'm hoping my next pair of G4000s will look just as good as the G1176 I built.

Kato, what kind of frontpanel is that in the lower picture, I like that :) Is it anodized, where can I get it? Please have a look at Steffen's projects, I think he does really neat layouts! I posted this in another thread, but I'll just bring it up again: http://home.t-online.de/home/micro.wave/forum/steff02.jpg - what kind of frontpanel is that on the grey pultec? Do I have to laquer the panel myself and then send it to schaeffer, is that possible? On the pictures it looks as if the sides were not colored, so I presume it is a schaeffer anodized panel? Thanks for all infos! Mart

[quote author="martthie_08"]Kato, what kind of frontpanel is that in the lower picture, I like that :) Is it anodized, where can I get it? Please have a look at Steffen's projects, I think he does really neat layouts! I posted this in another thread, but I'll just bring it up again: http://home.t-online.de/home/micro.wave/forum/steff02.jpg - what kind of frontpanel is that on the grey pultec? Do I have to laquer the panel myself and then send it to schaeffer, is that possible? On the pictures it looks as if the sides were not colored, so I presume it is a schaeffer anodized panel? Thanks for all infos! Mart[/quote]

martthie,
That is Greg's 1176, the same one we're referencing in this thread.
View a full-size picture of this beauty here:

http://members.cox.net/capstanrecording/G1176_Front.JPG

As you can see from this thread, the front panel came from par-metal.com.

kato

aaahh, thanks! I assume it is the black anodized version? Anyways, the black anodized version from schaeffer doesn't look as nice as the par-metal frontpanel and since I already have a frontpanel, I'll just go with black lettering on natural Aluminum and will just add a couple layers of matt clear coat (any suggestions for that - spraycan?), that will probably look good enough.

Has anyone sent a Par-Metal back panel to Front Panel Express to be engraved? The actual thickness of the steel is thinner than their options, and their drop menu only has aluminum and perspex. What is perspex?

Any help is appreciated.

perspex is: Plexiglas®, Lucite®, plexiglass, acrylic glass
kind of "transparent plastic"... to cover lcds, led bargraphs

...Thickness of Steel?
schaeffer/FrontPanelExpress cannot machine steel...ONLY alu and perspex.
So you cannot do engravings or cutouts to the backpanel when it is made of steel. You have to do it yourself, which is not a big problem... the steel isn't too thick. For lettering you could use p-touch, letraset, panels of alu (engraved or alucorex) screwed to the backpanel, or just homemade stickers.

Frank.

Thanks. I'm building something for someone else, and they wanted the front and back engraved. But the back panel is steel, so no engraving. Thanks for the info. For my gear, I just engrave the front and hand label the back.

Looking at the par metal webpage.. the series 10 has its back panel fixed to the case with 2 screws on each side (plus the ones from the top and bottom).
So one Idea could be to use the steel panel and fix a new alu panel on top of the steel panel (fixed with the 4 screws).
You only have to drill bigger holes in the steel panel... but you will not see them in the end.
just an idea... dunno if it works...

Overturning isn't possible... but you could make a new backpanel and fix the panel to the other case panels with a square bar steel? (i hope thats the correct name). Plastic could work here, too. Available at the building center...

Frank.

Hi guys,

I just learned something about the FPD software that I think is worth sharing:

When sending in your own material be sure to check the appropriate material thickness. I ASSuMEd that it would not matter since I was not buying material from them, but it does matter because thicker material takes more passes to cut through so they charge you more. I was sending 3mm material and I had my frontpanel properties set to 4mm because I had previously ordered one using their 4mm material. If you are ordering a lot of panels the difference in cost might be surprising!

Tim

Hi Tim.

Thats correct. At least here in germany they always check for correct thickness... they just call me when i'd entered the wrong value :wink: I don't know how it will be handled with FPE in the US.

I tried to explain the thickness problem here: :wink:

http://www.nrgrecording.de/html/schaeffer.html#information

"If you would like so send your own material to schaeffer... chose the correct thicknes."

properties.jpg

In an effort to keep all my front panels questions together, it's time to revive this thread.

In the past, I haven't used anything less than a 3-stroke font with a 0.2mm engraving tool. I'm designing some new panels and I'm just not liking the look. To make a long story short, I found a 1-stroke font that I really like, but with the 0.2mm bit it's a bit thin. So I changed the tool to a 0.4mm engraving tool.

So my question is how are the text engraving results when using a 1-stroke font instead of a 3- or 7-stroke. Do you still get a nice clean text, or is it not as smooth/clean of an engraving? It's hard to articulate this, but I think my question is clear.

nrg you out there ?!?... :wink:

Greg,

Are you trying to confuse me, what was the question? Hah hah!

Both the 2 1U panels I did for my 4 channel Green Pre and the Spectratone racks were all single fonts (Din17, 1 stroke) and the engraving bit was 0.2mm. I think it looks great, below are some pics.

green_front_alt.jpg

panel_close.jpg

Neither of them have ink fills, just engraving.

Hope it helps.

Cheers

Matt

F'in-A, Matta... :guinness: Panels seem to come out cheaper too with the 1-stroke over 3- or 7-.... hmmm wonder why, DUH.

I just designed a panel with the ellipses around some controls... I thought I was being somewhat original and I can see that you already did that... you bastard !

[quote author="Greg"]nrg you out there ?!?... :wink:[/quote]

:roll: :green: tadaaa :grin:

So you mean if there are any problems when changing the engraving tool from 0,2mm to 0,4mm with the 1-stroke fonts? I tried DIN17, 1-stroke for example at the EQP1A Panel with the 0,4mm engraving tool. Works good.

My experience:
·If it looks good in frontpaneldesigner it will look like the same whith the real panel.
·If you're using HPGLs and zoom to the maximum and it looks ok, it'll look good in real live.

The smallest font i ever used was 1,5mm (with Bold,7-stroke! and 0,2mm). It wasn't easy to read of course [the 6 can look like an 8...). With a 0,4mm tool you'll only see a dot :wink: (just like it looks in frontpaneldesigner)

You can send me your panel-file for inspection and i'll put in my twopenn'orth if you want. :wink: [i just trying to use "twopenn'orth"... did I used it correclty? or what means "seinen senf dazu geben" in english"? ] :green:

Frank.

bastard !

Right Greg, you and me, in the car park after school! Bring it! :green:

Yeah, those ellipses were an accident. They were supposed to be filled it, but what happened was it would cost more to fill it in, since it would need more than 0.2mm to do it, so I went with the ellipses cause I was cheap, but now I love em and did them on my G1176 as well and on my new Hot Mod Rodded 1272 I'll be building :thumb:

Matt

"Ask and you shall receive..."

Thanks guys.

I'll revive this thread in another month or two when I try to do something different again.

BTW - I just re-read the first post. :roll: Man, I've come a long way in the front panel department.

Latest posts

Back