Simple DiodeBridge Compressor

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sitting here watchin a crappy movie,
read this thread and saw your panel..
Just a quick sketch of ideas ;)

I hope I'm not stepping on your toes.

(I am a graphic designer, never have designed a panel btw.)
Great! I like your ideas
Thank you so much Hageir
Best

this is a redrawn of one bjt meter driver found online
hope it s useful
i used to monitor input & out... simple and working
placed R1 cause when connected directly to out or input connector i get a sort of absorption at GR meter.... believe is better to use a follower .... please let me know about this
R3 can be 100k trimmer so you can better set the voltage for leds
6 LED VU meter using one transistor (circuit) - Electronics Area .......here the source

so now my question is .... is it possible to implement what i call meter preset?
it s from S.Douglas

also tried to use as GR indicator, but woks like a Gate one o_O, so reversing the input shoud it work?

thanks for your attention
best

Attachments

• PCB-unfilled-simpleLed-Meter.pdf
    96.2 KB · Views: 1
  • simpleLedMeter.pdf
    38.2 KB · Views: 2
  • ledmeter3D.png
    ledmeter3D.png
    179.4 KB · Views: 0
  • meter Preset.pdf
    156.8 KB · Views: 0
as Abbey suggested in older post and Heikki applied doubling the number of diodes is an important stuff according to distortion and noise
in sim applied the smoothing net on Amtec Phanzen... attached what i found
R63 with that net, shapes the response of the vca
so wich could be a good timing for this kind of vca? should be a personal choice or is there a particural approach

again thanx for your attention

best

Attachments

• Screenshot 2022-10-28 at 15.24.53.png
    Screenshot 2022-10-28 at 15.24.53.png
    210.4 KB · Views: 6
Interesting project. I have a question regarding the blend circuit. Does the wet signal come of R38? Where is the dry signal best taken from?

Interesting project. I have a question regarding the blend circuit. Does the wet signal come of R38? Where is the dry signal best taken from?
Yes R38 Is wet signal... Dry One straight from input Hot Pin... never made a proper buffer... It works...
It s my First DIY project and no basic knowledge ... Was greatly supported to achieve my idea... But It needs to be better developped...now i m focused on some upgrades ... Vca made of 8 diodes and a different detector... I m slowly learning the art of electronic!
Best

Here's an LTspice sim of a diode bridge for drawing the control law. It can be seen that for the most part it's an inverse law. However, due to the particulars of the voltage divider, it is shifted at the beginning, so it's actually a 1/(ax+b) response.
I joined the sim file so you can experiment with the number of diodes in the string and the series resistor in the voltage divider. You must rename it as a .asc for opening with LTspice. Don't forget to run a transient sim to visualize distortion.

Attachments

• diode bridge gain law.jpg
    diode bridge gain law.jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 6
  • diode bridge gain law.txt
    1.5 KB · Views: 1
Here's an LTspice sim of a diode bridge for drawing the control law. It can be seen that for the most part it's an inverse law. However, due to the particulars of the voltage divider, it is shifted at the beginning, so it's actually a 1/(ax+b) response.
I joined the sim file so you can experiment with the number of diodes in the string and the series resistor in the voltage divider. You must rename it as a .asc for opening with LTspice. Don't forget to run a transient sim to visualize distortion.
Wooow thanks a lot!
Your support Is always great

My First 500x attempt... Quite lucky... Except a need a new toner printer!
Maybe my rude tech for etching also had its role 😅😂😂

Some traces are cutted but easy to fix... Don t wanna waste the board
Just to esperiment with a vca of 16 x 1n4148

Attachments

• IMG_20230331_203436.jpg
    IMG_20230331_203436.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 1
It works!
Very Happy... I only need to redraw a better layout since i joined together analog Gnd with Power Gnd and this proto board has Gnd plane filled so couldnt separate It ... Even joined no noise for the moment

Attachments

• IMG_20230403_124637.jpg
    IMG_20230403_124637.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
Respect to my first proto this one doesn t distort at fast settings and max Ratio... But according to the audio material, for example a full mix, i get clicks ... Slowering a bit the Attack no more artifacs due to Extreme compression at low freq ... Hpf fixed at 48Hz to avoid thump
a different behavior... Now i have 2 versions

Here Is my proto500... A mechanical test...no Meter hole for the moment
But everything fitted on a cardboard frontpanel model so drilled an aluminum one... Respect to my First attempt sidechain Is upgraded and with fixed Attack as 2254neve..this way distortion at Extreme settings Is further reduced avoiding faster settings..also cause of space
One Channel tested and works... soon i Will test the stereo unit
Detectors linked with One controls set
Thanks for your attention
Best

Attachments

• IMG_20230924_185250.jpg
    IMG_20230924_185250.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 2
  • IMG_20230924_185311.jpg
    IMG_20230924_185311.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG-20230923-WA0000.jpeg