Small mixer features

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Steve,

You take your Genex home, then dump the tracks to an analog multitrack, and then mix down?

I just want to make sure I'm reading you right. And if this is true, what analog machine are you using?

Have you guys seen this?

http://www.auroraaudio.net/aa_html/aa_products_gtm_822.html

I just thought of an idea. What about using external line amps? Everyone who would be using this would have many ways of making up 30 db, right? I don't use my mic amps during mix, which seems to be a waste. This might be too far out, literally.

But that would allow for more inputs. The way I work, I use and 8 channel APIish passive mixer with a DAW and it sums my 8-bus mix. I would love to use my extra DAW outputs (which we all have) as sends ad nausium. Say 4 more mono/stereo inputs with just level and mute.

How are you going to buffer the auxes and such? I'm just curious.

BTW, I am gathering parts for a NYD passive EQ. NOS blackgate caps, UTC LS-143 input... I remember seeing the schematic on the old TT...is it the same one that is posted in the bluebird thread?

Enough rambling.

Via con Dios!

Just a thought, sometimes after recording lead guitar clean, I wished that I had put it through my Rat distortion, so why not have a line level version available on board which could be switched in if needed - or even two, because a pseudo stereo signal is possible. A sensible option for guitarists perhaps?
Stephen

Steve,

You take your Genex home, then dump the tracks to an analog multitrack, and then mix down?

I just want to make sure I'm reading you right. And if this is true, what analog machine are you using?

Close, but no. If it is a multi-track recording (I do almost as much "live to 2" as multi-track), I convert to analog on the way out of the recorder, mix to stereo (purpose of this requested mixer) and then print to client's format of choice - CD, higher res PCM file, or someday I'll get a client in the position to release an SACD. In that instance, I would go back to DSD. In any case, there is one conversion from DSD to analog, and then 1 conversion to the deliverable format. I can cut out 1 of those conversions by going straight from DSD to PCM if there is no need for any processing (about 50% of my projects).

But my preferred method for large projects is to convert once to analog, then mix in analog, and convert the mixer output on the way to the 2 track recorder. (whatever it might be) And this all happens in real time with no intermediate storage steps.

i would pass on the ssl comp inside... just put in some balanced inserts on the mains (swichable even)., and you can use and combo of comps and whatnot.

[quote author="NewYorkDave"]Here's a block diagram of what I have in mind:
http://electronicdave.myhosting.net/pdf/mxrblockdiag.PDF[/quote]

I would suggest using a good op amp instead of the transformer input, as the load after it will lower your level much more than -10, especially if you switch the pre/post switch. The general rule is a 1/10 ratio on the secondary of the transformer so the reflected load doesn't do anything to the source. That alone is quite a bit of loss to start with.

When you are at line level, using a good IC op amp works fine, as they really hurt the sound when used as a gain stage (mic pre/summing) or driving a low imp load. Having a balanced in amp and then a post fader amp will insure that the mix bus is driven harder, resulting in less of a noise problem and "IC" problem.

Unless you have each prior pot 1/10th the value of the ones after it, you will see large amounts of signal loss. Lets say you use a 10K P&G linear fader for the main fader. If you load it with anything less than 100K, you will see a change in the taper, and as you approach a 10K load, you will see some strange things like the level wandering up and down as the fader is pulled down. Audio taper faders (and pots) are nothing more than a collection of linear sections all in series. That is why you see what looks like a ladder pattern next to the element in a linear fader. Each ladder pulls down on the linear element to give it a log feel. This is pretty smooth if the load is correct, but becomes very sectional as the load is increased. Rotary audio taper pots are generally layers of resist screened on top of others to stack a pile of resist that from the side looks like a stair step.

If you used a 1K fader, the panner would be 20K (2 elements) and the sends would have to be 200K (2 X 200K = 100K). This gives the minimum load effect on the chain. Now the problem is the input transformer has a 1K load on it, and if it is a 1:1 transformer, it will reflect the load to the other side. If the source cannot drive a 1K load, you will loose gain and may get distortion. If the input transformer is any other ratio, the reflected impedance will be the same ratio, so if it was 1K primary and 10K secondary, and the secondary is loaded with 5K, the primary will look like 500 ohms and so on.

Placing a balanced amp before the fader isolates the input and provides a low imp source for the fader. Using a buffer after the fader allows the sends and panner to be isolated also. Then you have a pre and post source and can hang as many pots as needed.

Just some thoughts...

Paul

THIS is a small mixer:

G16.jpg

24 line inputs, mono/stereo selectable in pairs, all-tube signal path but the monitor and headphones outputs.

Jakob E.

Hey, bro', you slow!!! :)))
mx-1 have 7 brothers at this moment :)
http://www.geocities.com/igor_jazz/mx1
or http://www.groupdiy.com/index.php?topic=5551
And mx-1 rulez :)))

[quote author="gyraf"]THIS is a small mixer:

G16.jpg

24 line inputs, mono/stereo selectable in pairs, all-tube signal path but the monitor and headphones outputs.

Jakob E.[/quote]

What is a clever and simple way to achieve this mono/stereo switching?
Say, we have a stereo pair (cha 1+2). When in stereo mode you have one summing resistor for channel 1 attached to the left bus and one summing resistor for channel 2 attached to the right bus. Now, when we want both channel 1 and 2 to be mono, is it just as simple as putting two summing resistors after channel 1, one to the left and one to the right bus?
Something tells me it's not THAT simple.... :?

[quote author="gyraf"]THIS is a small mixer:

G16.jpg

Jakob E.[/quote]

hi Jakob,

Any progress on this unit? Or has it been shelved for the time being?

cheers,
Leigh

Latest posts

Back