social media, the problem?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For a perceptual distortion related to viral clips on social media, human cognition is not linear or completely logical so can confuse a rare tragic event that is repeated 24x7 on social media garnering millions of views. A million views of a single event is not a systemic trend. In fact it might be worth inspecting the motives of people promoting that agenda.

Everybody is shocked and outraged by any arrest related avoidable deaths, as this one surely was. This behavior is already illegal and the officer(s) are being processed by the criminal justice system. 

JR

Im just glad I avoided mobile/smart phones and social media all along  , its turning us into a bunch of lemmings  . Instead of reading up on stuff that makes our blood boil and reacting against it ,why not just concentrate on the quality of our interactions with a smaller subset of people rather than the bait ,hook and loop of Zuckerborgs A.I. monstrosity . Im very glad there's a rising awareness in relation to our privacy and data protection with regards social media also.

A friend of mine who works in law told me about a guy he studied with in college who he never liked much . The guy ended up working for FB and every 90 days he helps amend or adds to the FB eula subtleties which seek to undermine the rights of the addicted users. 

Attachments

• despite the rage.jpg
    despite the rage.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 4
tell me more the office GIF

It can have as many positives as you want to see in it , same time if its washing away the foundations of our political and justice systems and it ends up in dictatorship is that a step forward or back ?

My guess is Mr Trumps end game is Marshall law , he's already demonstrated he has no issue lighting the fuse and retiring to the safety of his bunker while DC burns .

Last edited:
My guess is Mr Trumps end game is Marshall law , he's already demonstrated he has no issue lighting the fuse and retiring to the safety of his bunker while DC burns .
And the leftists call conservatives doomsday conspiracy theorists....

If you have some time, decent longform recap/framing of how we got where we are (tech-feudalism).

17m in:

Thanks Boji, watched the whole thing. He speaks well and generally articulates his ideas well whilst being at least somewhat wary of the dangers of insufficient contextualisation. I wonder if there is any room for consideration of polynomials (that appear to have limits until there is a point of inflection reached) as opposed to simpler curves strictly bound by limits. The discussion of exponential curves did a pretty good job of modelling wealth distribution. However, and as was pointed out, none of the great empires of the past exist today.

I'm not sure how you can retrain a clearly broken system to become intrinsically emergent to accomplish the social outcomes required for civility (civilisation). There is no motivation for it except from a heartfelt minority. It still seems more likely that we head (increasingly quickly - exponentially?) towards possibly disruptive revolution (as was highlighted dangerous tech all to easily employed in the wrong hands) or possibly authoritarianism and a different kind of erosion of civility. Sorry, don't forget the extinction event. I kind of want to pick "D", none of the above.

He has an interesting take on humanity being of nature but having reached a threshold to in some ways move outside it. It did make sense. We can certainly not be considered an apex predator in a traditional sense. Some food for thought.

As a casual observer of modern culture I sometimes notice what look like major trend shifts.

I try to follow professional basketball (now that I no longer play in pick-up games). Over just the recent years the messaging on uniforms and court side has changed from 24x7 BLM, to a somewhat toned down "built by black history". Lebron even complained that black history month, (February) was the shortest month of the year. I am not even sure what that slogan means, but can imagine sundry grievances.

But my observation is what happened after the calendar flipped over to March. They didn't swap out those court side t-shirts for "Woman's history month". They just returned to apolitical team colors and logos. I am pleased to see an apparent absence of divisive politics in sports, but I wondered why the pivot?

Today in the news I read about another regional sports network declaring bankruptcy, or about to. Doing some follow the money math, viewers were probably tired of seeing the divisive messaging and tuned out.

Of course maybe it's just a coincidence.

JR

Doing some follow the money math, viewers were probably tired of seeing the divisive messaging and tuned out.
So Bally Sports is essentially a part of Sinclair Broadcasting, a company with a notorious hard-right slant in its editorializing (Sinclair owns a lot of small-market tv stations.) Not that that means a whole lot either way--it's just a little detail I was unaware of until recently.

If you're looking at a root cause for the issues here, rising interest rates would likely be more an issue than so-called "divisive" messaging. And if you're looking for a reason for a ratings slump in baseball (which is certainly the most conservative of the major US sports leagues), you'd do well to look at the shortened attention span of the typical American. Baseball has always been a rather contemplative sport, and their new pitch clock would indicate that MLB is far more worried about the pace of the game than any sort of "divisive" messaging.

So Bally Sports is essentially a part of Sinclair Broadcasting, a company with a notorious hard-right slant in its editorializing (Sinclair owns a lot of small-market tv stations.) Not that that means a whole lot either way--it's just a little detail I was unaware of until recently.
Don't know anything about that. Don't really care.

If you're looking at a root cause for the issues here, rising interest rates would likely be more an issue than so-called "divisive" messaging.
How so? I used to watch a little NFL (quit after all of the political posturing started) and quite a bit of MLB (quit for same reason a year or two later). I have friends who've done the same.

And if you're looking for a reason for a ratings slump in baseball (which is certainly the most conservative of the major US sports leagues), you'd do well to look at the shortened attention span of the typical American.
Baseball has always attracted fans more interested in stats and details. I don't think that's changed, though maybe the younger set's reduced attention span has reduced the fanbase.

Baseball has always been a rather contemplative sport, and their new pitch clock would indicate that MLB is far more worried about the pace of the game than any sort of "divisive" messaging.
They're trying to fix the wrong problem. The real fans (older and with enough money to pay for tickets) are turned off by the SJW stuff and also the unnecessary rule changes. Baseball fans don't like change. MLB is ruining the game and the league, IMO. For the record, I had a tech job associated with pro baseball for a few years before the SJW stuff started. I got to see a bit of the sausage making.

Quite a bit of MLB (quit for same reason a year or two later).

So you're turned off by the addition of "God Bless America" to the 7th inning stretch? Or is it the Armed Services Days, replete with special military-themed uniforms that turn you off? I'm not really sure you're paying that much attention--baseball presents itself in a much more conservative way than it did when I followed the game.

The real fans (older and with enough money to pay for tickets) are turned off by the SJW
When I was a "real fan" I was young and didn't have a lot of money, but the tickets were pretty dang cheap. Being a boojie right-wing a-hole is not what makes one a "real fan." Besides, we're talking tv here, not attendance.

So you're turned off by the addition of "God Bless America" to the 7th inning stretch? Or is it the Armed Services Days, replete with special military-themed uniforms that turn you off? I'm not really sure you're paying that much attention--baseball presents itself in a much more conservative way than it did when I followed the game.
I followed the Giants under Bochy. Look at them now. Yes, some teams do less of the garbage SJW, but MLB is all-in. I don't have a problem with patriotism or patriotic displays.

When I was a "real fan" I was young and didn't have a lot of money, but the tickets were pretty dang cheap. Being a boojie right-wing a-hole is not what makes one a "real fan." Besides, we're talking tv here, not attendance.
Lots of things were cheaper in the past. Concert tickets, gasoline. Not sure why you keep ranting at phantoms with your perjoratives. Politics really shouldn't be a dominant force in sports or entertainment. TV broadcasts and commentators are also injecting the garbage into the game. I won't be watching.

Latest posts

Back