Soliloqueen's k87(k67) and k47 capsules

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
one more thing: i am also willing to offer backplate machining for people who make their own capsules. backplates will be delivered with the faces already flat. more details in the WM thread next week
Still have my old m249 n of course have Flea n49,u47's,C12's n FET47's.I've had my Neumann m249 apart n am about to take on building a copy.Don't need anymore mics for the studio but it'll be fun.These collector folk offer this/that but I'd like to think maybe George Harrison r Bob Marley r Freddie one used mine once.It stays in the locker for the Flea49 is perfect.In fact my Son is using all Flea mics for his new album n the DPA d:facto 4018 I gave him for live vocals.Incredible mic.Cheers

A concert pianist can walk into a new hall with a piano they’ve never touched and still express and make music.
True but, to be a little pedantic, the top concert pianists usually have the piano specially prepared to their tastes and playing style - adjusting the hardness of the felts being one example of the customisations done for each concert.

True but, to be a little pedantic, the top concert pianists usually have the piano specially prepared to their tastes and playing style - adjusting the hardness of the felts being one example of the customisations done for each concert.

Right, but even a lesser-known pianist who couldn’t command such attention to detail would still know how to mostly get what they need out of (e.g.) a Steinway D in tune and in good condition.

It's good that people start finally invent and use something which is not vintage correct but still sounds good, like that "flat K47". Wonder how it's different to vintage correct K47...
Earlier in this thread Soliloqueen uploaded my recordings with some simple guitar chords in a M49 clone with K47 flat and a vintage K47.

My pair of flat K47s arrived today! Smile almost intact (a bit of a crooked smile after all the handling)

They look fantastic; can’t wait to hear how they sound. A bit busy the next couple of weeks so they’ll have to wait a bit unfortunately

i did kind of enjoy designing the look for this capsule. i love the dark brass against the silver screws and gold. as i understand it, the color of the brass comes from the non-polishing lapping slurry they use on the parts for this specific capsule. unlike a polishing lapping slurry, it produces a surface finish equivalent to its flatness, rather than breaking down and continuing to polish the metal so that the surface finish is finer than the flatness like most lapping slurries do. the result is a super dark finish on what is already a pretty dark brass.

the k87s aren't lapped at all, they're flat honed, which is why they have that crisscross finish. it's 5-10 times faster and way cheaper for the same flatness than lapping, but there aren't many of them out there because they're a relatively new technology and they cost more than traditional double sided lapping machines. I think only my and 3U's capsules are flat honed at the moment, but i'm sure that will change quickly since I can't imagine a more perfectly suited process for backplates.

Last edited:
Cant wait to order some. Maybe you can tweak the edge terminated k67 ck12 wannabe to sound smoother/detailed too. That's not a bad sounding capsule from the start..?

So I tried this flat k47 in my d-ef47. This capsule is a perfect match to ef800 tubes I believe. I never really liked any k47 with the ef800..even original Neumann. I always preferred m7 style capsule with ef800 tubes.
Well…until now haha. The synergy of the flat k47 and ef800 is just right..more than right actually.

So I tried this flat k47 in my d-ef47. This capsule is a perfect match to ef800 tubes I believe. I never really liked any k47 with the ef800..even original Neumann. I always preferred m7 style capsule with ef800 tubes.
Well…until now haha. The synergy of the flat k47 and ef800 is just right..more than right actually.
I had the same exact experience with my def47 when I replaced my Neuman K 47 with this flat 47. Truly a perfect match…

I got the Flat K47 in last week or so. Still deciding what to do with it. I have a Nady 1050 I could put it in, though that circuit is a cathode follower. I'd rather it be plate loaded. Makes me want to look for another used Miktek CV4. Those are almost identical to the def47 circuit. I have one with Ben's K7 capsule that sounds fantastic. hmmmm. choices.

Got my second Flat K47 yesterday, now it's just waiting on the boards for another FET47. I was finishing one for friend and tried the first capsule I got a month ago- almost seemed a shame to put the capsule he'd paid for in after I tried the Flat K47 in it. Really looking forward to getting my hands on a few of the K87s when you get them done!

Back