Soliloqueen's k87(k67) and k47 capsules

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am in need of 2 K47’s if available.😁
I am open to producing more of these. If I can get enough pledges at...$120? (about 15 units) to cover the cost of another batch, I'll have more made. DM me about it. I don't want to advertise for sale in DIY.

How to grab te sample?
We should be hitting the market by the end of November I think? This was our final sample so we're going directly into mass production. I don't have enough samples to circulate for reviews right now. Maybe kingkorg could ship these ones around and we could have a review loaner?

Last edited:
I am open to producing more of these. If I can get enough pledges at...$120? (about 15 units) to cover the cost of another batch, I'll have more made. DM me about it. I don't want to advertise for sale in DIY.

We should be hitting the market by the end of November I think? At the latest. This was our final sample so we're going directly into mass production. I don't have enough samples to circulate for reviews right now. Maybe kingkorg could ship these ones around and we could have a review loaner?
I’ll take 2 ASAP😎

This kind of precision could obsolete the “matched pair”
Just for transparency sake, I do feel to some extent that the skinning contractor is showing off with these samples. For instance, All of the gold traces are dead center which probably won't be true at volume. I would expect ±1dB between unmatched capsules in the production run. However, the side to side matching will not change. The k47 Kingkorg measured was selected randomly from a production batch of 100 capsules, so the k47 measurement is the kind of quality you can expect from any individual capsule in the initial production run of the k87.

Exactly. Frequency response does not say too much about the sound of the capsule. Unfortunatelly, just the listening test can do the job. How to grab te sample?
It would be kinda silly of me to do all the technical tests and skip the actual audio :)

I did a proper audio shootout, and even listening pink noise 40cm/1m @ 0°, 90°, 180° distance test against the original. And the capsule does exactly what it's supposed to, and performs as the original. I should've mentioned that in the OP. But as I was asked to do the technical stuff I post those results here, I leave the audio to others.

There is also another reason i won't post the audio files. People might have different revisions of k67 based mics, like TLMs, u87ai vs u87i.vs who knows what.... different ages, eras, etc... so someone might experience larger differences. Audio test would be potentially misleading in that sense.

Even if i posted two identical files somehow i feel a group of people would still hear the "warmth" in the originals. I simply can't bother to take that route...

Last edited:
It would be kinda silly of me to do all the technical tests and skip the actual audio :)

I did a proper audio shootout, and even listening pink noise 40cm/1m @ 0°, 90°, 180° distance test against the original. And the capsule does exactly what it's supposed to, and performs as the original. I should've mentioned that in the OP. But as I was asked to do the technical stuff I post those results here, I leave the audio to others.

There is also another reason i won't post the audio files. People might have different revisions of k67 based mics, like TLMs, u87ai vs u87i.vs who knows what.... different ages, eras, etc... so someone might experience larger differences. Audio test would be potentially misleading in that sense.

Even if i posted two identical files somehow i feel a group of people would still hear the "warmth" in the originals. I simply can't bother to take that route...
Of course, I have no doubts that you did the listening test and yes, what I read sounds really prommising. So, if I understand correctly, there is no way to purchase the sample but to wait the regular production to start. Right?

Wow, very exciting!
I would be very interested in two of the “prototype” ones!

My first ever project almost 15 years ago was a pair of Royer mod MXLs

I never use them because I’ve got much better mics now and they were always kind of weird-bright.

But I bet an affordable flat K47 would improve them…

So the impression I'm getting here is that the single volume retail DIY market is a bit burned out on k87 clones. I get that! I figured when I was designing it that if anyone cared, it would probably be OEM customers. People who make high-end mics based on k87 capsules but don't have the facilities or time to make their own. For the DIY folks, I'll bring the prototype back to the market and hurry up development on the one to one k47 clone. Still, this is a fully new product. I hope it can return some intrigue for those of you who have done 67 and 87 style mics to death

I firmly believe with the niche producers we have on board here at the forum we should come up with a design that amalgamates the good work of several , A more or less universal tube mic mod kit , with a power supply design , a capsule , choice of transformers ,maybe mic bodies , or just as easily any donor mics the diy'er might have around ,
a wire ended tube sub assembly with anti vibration mountings that also allows the use of 7 or 9 pin socketed tubes if required , above all maximum flexibillity in terms of component choice and even circuit topology ,anode load or cathode follower ,

Back