Soliloqueen's k87(k67) and k47 capsules

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I’ll be the first then!

Finished my D-67 with Neumann bv12, Telefunken red tip EF86 and Arienne Audio k67/87. It sounds AMAZING! I love it on vocals! Mostly just used it on my vocals so far, but I have recorded a little bit of cello and 12 string acoustic and I loved it as well! Haven’t used a real u67, or any other capsules in my D-67, but i think it sounds really really good.

I have used a friend’s vintage u87 recently, and it had a very similar midrange to my D-67, but my D-67 definitely has more bass, richness and 3 dimensionality. I wasn’t comparing side by side in the same session or room, so I’m going on overall impression.

Maybe not the most helpful review as I don’t know what other capsules sound like in this circuit, and haven’t used a vintage or reissue u67. But I wouldn’t change a thing about my microphone! Thanks for the great capsule Arienne!!

Last edited:
I love my flat K47s! Thank you. Put them straight into some super on-sale MXL990s (I hope that's not sacrilege).
I have an audiodrama project coming up that needs 5 mics. Any guess when your ~curvy~ K47s might come to market? I'd love to be able to use those in another pair.

What is this “side groove”? Could we seen what you talking about please?

opacheco
the groove for the wire mount.
photo_2023-03-05_19-20-09.jpg
sorry this is out of focus, i took it to show off the plastic pegs. having the screw hole recessed made mounting the capsule hard for beginners, and i wanted the capsule to be accessible, so i dropped it. the k47 will still have it though, as it doesn't recess the screw hole.

At first when i started this thread i had no idea it would pick up this well. Then, when the sales started and so many bought i have to admit i was a tiny bit nervous about reactions.

Knowing how critical people can be, especially the ones who own the originals, i was prepared for some pushback. I am confident about my approach, and measurement system, but people are not used to hear what they see in graphs.

Respect to @soliloqueen for manufacturing consistency, transparency and honesty. She could have made me look like a fool if the production models weren't consistent with the samples tested. Many before have tried this and failed. Last thing i want is to be associated in any way with a product meant to squeeze last drop of DIYer's hard earned money only to be a disappointment. Bravo Soliloqueen!

At first when i started this thread i had no idea it would pick up this well. Then, when the sales started and so many bought i have to admit i was a tiny bit nervous about reactions.

Knowing how critical people can be, especially the ones who own the originals, i was prepared for some pushback. I am confident about my approach, and measurement system, but people are not used to hear what they see in graphs.

Respect to @soliloqueen for manufacturing consistency, transparency and honesty. She could have made me look like a fool if the production models weren't consistent with the samples tested. Many before have tried this and failed. Last thing i want is to be associated in any way with a product meant to squeeze last drop of DIYer's hard earned money only to be a disappointment. Bravo Soliloqueen!
The retail batch of capsules ended up really good, so far. We're investigating an issue where a small number of capsules may leak between the backplate attachment screws and the opposite plate when charged and ruin figure 8 in u87i circuits, but it seems to be a very small number and replacement is free for anyone who runs into this problem (or any problem). That seems to be the only functional issue! I appreciate your support and kindness throughout this project! I apologize for any stress you may have endured due to it!

I compared Arienne K67 to a modern U87 capsule AI and 797.
The modern original K67 is lacking some low end and is a tad more bright, while the Arienne is more balanced. Probably comparable to a more vintage original K67.

The 797 capsule has some sibilance problems, whereas the Neu and Ariennne are perfect. The midrange is where the $$$ is and ohhhh boy did she deliver! Classic Neu sound all the way, soothing like a Sinatra tune playing on a tropical beach during Christmas time.

Congrats to soloqueen for cracking Neu’s secret, the midrange and sibilance were the only problems left to be solved with most CN capsules in my opinion, according to K. Heyne caused by temporal resolution defects. Still don’t know if this is true. You did it!! You probably won’t tell us, but what is the secret sauce?:)

Thank you for providing such quality products for us DIY’s. I have lent a build with flat K47 to a studio and I am afraid I won’t get it back…

Last edited:
I also have to give props to soliloqueen and George Toledo for their self awareness and politeness in resolving a potential dispute on FB. It's nice to see people solve things in a reasonable way.

Was this the comment from another capsule manufacturer who tried to imply that these capsules were just another rebadged import?

I saw that, and it was really annoying (and disrespectful). It reflected far more poorly on that company, IMO, than it did on SQ

Was this the comment from another capsule manufacturer who tried to imply that these capsules were just another rebadged import?

I saw that, and it was really annoying (and disrespectful). It reflected far more poorly on that company, IMO, than it did on SQ
all he said was that they were made in china, which is true. i prefer not to assume that it was mean-spirited in any way

Perhaps you're right!

Due to the specific language used, the implication seemed clear to me (i.e. a disappointing attempt to minimize/discredit a new entry to "their" market), but I'll accept that I may have made an incorrect assumption

Back