Soliloqueen's k87(k67) and k47 capsules

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think some patience with the rollout of a new business is warranted.

But I also agree that a photo of what’s included (and complete list of package contents in an easy-to-reference location) is a reasonable-enough thing to wish for if an item is being sold retail.

In any case, I’m glad these capsules are getting made and am super-impressed with what I’ve seen and heard so far

I don't include a mounting post because I have an anaphylactic allergy to the rubber. as I have said before in this thread. What further clarity would you recommend? Genuine question, not snarky.

You also said you went through the first 20 or so pages, but on pages 10, 11, and 12, there are several photos, including one I posted, of the capsules with all accessories in box. And then, for good measure, you asked me to clarify, and I told you directly what was included.
View attachment 106788

I did give you a "paint-by-numbers answer," (a term and perspective I openly resent for trivializing the needs of beginners, which has put me at odds with people here before) and I was happy to, and am always happy to. I don't mind your criticism--I am already adding the photo to the store page--but this characterization of me is just not accurate.
I apologize for anything that appears to be a criticism. My intention is for clarity down the line for other consumers, and also for your endeavors to be successful. I have great respect for your work

I know where to find a capsule mount, and said that in my initial post. It's what I'm going to do. My point was having a capsule holder without the post was tricky for anyone who doesn't have good connections in the industry. I couldn't find a way to get just the post for the mount. In any case, I am appreciative of her amazing work, and that is what really matters. My post was meant to help other consumers down the line, and ultimately her business

I apologize for anything that appears to be a criticism. My intention is for clarity down the line for other consumers, and also for your endeavors to be successful. I have great respect for your work
I'm not upset, I'm just kind of confused, because I was honest, available and forthcoming at every point in this process, and I answered the question as soon as you asked it (in less than 5 hours). The reason they are sold the way they are is because most beginners are doing capsule swaps from donor mics, not complex and expensive builds like the M49, and donor mics generally include saddles for 32mm capsules or with 60 degree mounting holes, so everything required is included for the average beginner.

I just bought two inexpensive capsule mounts from Aliexpress, and if either of them are decent they will be my go-to mounts in the future. And if the curved part of the ones I get are bad I can replace them with the curved part that Soliloqueen sent.

I will post here with my results when I receive them.

I hope she is able to find a material other than rubber so she can sell complete mounts as well.

I'm not upset, I'm just kind of confused, because I was honest, available and forthcoming at every point in this process, and I answered the question as soon as you asked it (in less than 5 hours). The reason they are sold the way they are is because most beginners are doing capsule swaps from donor mics, not complex and expensive builds like the M49, and donor mics generally include saddles for 32mm capsules or with 60 degree mounting holes, so everything required is included for the average beginner.
I apologize on my end then. I was on a 3 week tour, thought I had aggregated all the parts to build the microphone between my tours, and just unboxed all the parts. I appreciate your communication.

I apologize on my end then. I was on a 3 week tour, thought I had aggregated all the parts to build the microphone between my tours, and just unboxed all the parts. I appreciate your communication.

Do you have specific requirements for the post in your build ? if you are ok with a generic one i can send you one just pm me your address and i'll drop it in the mail
Wow. That would be fantastic and is very kind of you!

I did a shootout with SQ's capsule in my u67. One recording is the production neumann capsule, stock from factory. The. Second recording is @soliloqueen k87 with backplates tied together. Same microphone, PSU and cable... only swapped headbaskets. One with the neumann capsule and one with the SQ.

u67 capsules swap - 1.jpeg
u67-capsules-swap-4-jpeg.106878

Neumann:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/rarmxi9x0ru4179/k67A.aif?dl=0
SQ:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/eitre7ghhs8na2m/K67B.aif?dl=0
Recorded into Apollo X4, No processing at all.

Attachments

• u67 capsules swap - 4.jpeg
    u67 capsules swap - 4.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 306
I think that neumann sound fantastic. the SoliloQueen sound very good too but have some different caracter maybe will shine more on a different voice.
thanks for the test

Ok, I have now listened to it a few times comparatively on my Beyer DT990pro, the differences are not dramatic but perceptible.

My statement only applies to this voice, room and signal chain.

I find the Neumann capsule a little bit more harmonious, the balance between the individual frequency ranges seems slightly "better" to me.

The SQ is a bit thicker in the lower midrange and I find the treble slightly reduced compared to the Neumann capsule.

But honestly, I doubt whether I would always hear that in a blind comparison. Embedded in a mix after processing, nothing will remain of the small differences in my view.

Congratulations soliloqueen, you have designed and produced an absolutely competitive capsule out of nothing that can compare with the best.

This has to be honoured, really fantastic work!

PS: Thanks SparkleBear for demo!

Last edited:
Can't wait to listen to this comparison! They should also have slightly different pattern behavior because mine is based on a '60s k67 which has some differences in construction other than just the holes and tuning.

Edit: It seems like only in the very last few lines are they both on-axis and in the same position, A/Bing those portions specifically, I do hear it now. Mine is very slightly less present.

Edit:
the Neumann is picking up less of the room in the midrange, which is likely the pattern difference I mentioned. In the Neumann it's drier (narrower?) IMO. That's what I hear most in segments that are matched for everything else. I do see the advantage of that in this kind of recording. I wonder if that's why they made that change between the early and later k67s, or if it was a coincidence due to other changes.

Edit:
It also makes my capsule more susceptible to some modes in the room than the modern Neumann, which makes it sound a bit odd in places.

Edit:
Less susceptible to others though? Or maybe the positioning is different.

Overall, I think I was pretty successful in reproducing the sound of the specific capsule I set out to reproduce. I really appreciate this comparison.

Last edited:
I did a shootout with SQ's capsule in my u67. One recording is the production neumann capsule, stock from factory. The. Second recording is @soliloqueen k87 with backplates tied together. Same microphone, PSU and cable... only swapped headbaskets. One with the neumann capsule and one with the SQ.

View attachment 106877

Neumann:
SQ:
So are you telling us which is which when you say "the 2nd recording," or are you just referring generically to 1 of the 2?

View attachment 106877

Neumann:
SQ:
Thanks for a great comparison. Any chance you could record pink noise through a monitor at same exact position?

Nice comparison. I'm listening in my front bedroom, no treatment, through a pair of Focal CMS-65s so I there is stuff I won't hear, but they sound close. My subjective evaluation is that the sibilance range feels a little more compressed in the Neumann - like the Soliloqueen capsule is more ready to respond to that range and "on it" when there's transient detail. The Soliloqueen capsule has a little more low end. But they are close - very close. I've comped vocal takes that sounded further apart from the same mic, just from slight differences in proximity effect and on/off axis positioning.

I do hear the room around the midrange mentioned above on listening again, the Neumann sounds a little drier. If that's off-axis room sound coming in, that'd make sense.

I was also wondering just what effect age and use plays in this. The difference between the two clips is roughly what I'd imagine a couple of decades of life might do.

I'm halfway through building my U87 clones, when they're done I'll get some recordings done as drum overheads, acoustic guitar and guitar cab close mics, vocals too eventually. I don't have real U87s to do an A/B comparison though, so they'll just be clips that stand or fall on their own merit.

A word about customer care here. I was the unlucky chump who faced the clumsy thumbs of UK customs - both the capsules I ordered were delayed almost 2 weeks at Heathrow airport, then turned up clearly opened and with wrinkles in the diaphragms. I emailed @soliloqueen and she immediately posted two new ones expedited shipping, no charge. They arrived yesterday and though we're all too sick with covid and busy with juggling childcare for me to have done more than glanced in the box, I'm very very excited to get them into my mics and see what they can do!

Back