Soliloqueen's k87(k67) and k47 capsules

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am curious also because relaxing the membrane as he describes would not result in the change to freq. response he attributes to it. A lower tuned membrane does not necessarily correspond to more lower mids or bass.
When the diaphragm is too relaxed in my experimentation, the mids go wonky if anything. The response can also go absolutely fubar if the loss of tension isn't even like if the ring takes a hit of blunt force. I've seen several people online claim that if you have a wrinkle due to something like that you can loosen the center screw to fix it which doesn't make sense to me and every time I've done it the response of the capsule is absolutely ruined.

I think I saw somewhere that he uses heat? Maybe it's not the tension at all, but something to do with thermal degradation of the diaphragm?

Klaus also has described in interview many many years ago, some sort of setup that blows air onto the capsule as an alternative to the “breath test”(?). I had wondered if he is blasting air at the capsule for some extended period…though I have doubts about it actually being diaphragm tension that is directly manipulated with whatever he does.

Thiersch has written that mylar/polyester based capsules generally lose tension over time, and with rounds of humidity exposure.

Last edited:
He also pings the capsule, and uses tuning forks.

There is not much to his approach. He believes that by using precise torque screwdriver you could bring diaphragm closer and further to the backplate, or even adjust capsule halves distance. He also believes that you can tighten or losen diaphragm by "tuning" center screw.

If you think about this, most capsules use metal spacer rings, and by tightening the screws all you do is compress the tensioning rings, not affecting the distance between anything.

It is plausible to affect the tension of the diaphragm by adjusting the center screw, but you are risking to twist the diaphragm, or loose the proper electrical connection. The effect would be tiny, and probably not audible. Relaxing it would create issues with sticking.

He makes cardinal error by claiming specific resonant point of the diaphragm. Once center screw is placed, and damping of the air kicks in that diaphragm is nowhere close that specific resonant point.

Imagine tuning batter head on a snare drum to a specific frequency. Then putting resonant head, and add moon gel to the center of the batter head. The resonance of the batter head and whole system altogether will drift far from the starting point.

I'd lodge a complaint right away ,
Provide photographic evidence and copies of all the relevent documentation , tell them their empolyees carelessness has destroyed the capsules and their now totally unusable and worthless .

I agree - there may be an established process for this sort of complaint.

I would look for some form of insurance coverage. Most shipping agencies provide some amount of insurance to compensate customers for property damage in transit. It depends on jurisdiction and shipping company policies, but most have some amount of coverage. It also depends on who is considered the insured - seller or purchaser, and the risk of loss can be assigned or allocated by purchase contract. For example, I sometime ship FOB which means "Free on Board," which (in general) means the purchaser assumes the risk of loss after the seller transfers possession of the goods with a competent carrier. This may vary by jurisdiction, but is a common feature of international shipping law. Point is, somebody may be insured and able to make a claim - you just gotta figure out who that is and where to file the claim. That said, the law usually defines who bears the risk of loss - even if that is not clearly spelled out or allocated in the purchase agreement. Just who bears the risk a shipping loss IS defined by law ... um ... Shoot ... I should write a book ... :)

They may be under no obligation to compensate you

Perhaps not. Remember the old legal maxim, "The King can do no wrong." I do not know whether customs agents are liable for property damage ... this may vary among different jurisdictions.

Threaten small claims court ...

You could, but I recommend against it as a first strike strategy. For one, It is difficult to make friends approaching with a fist in your pocket. Second, sometimes governmental agencies are immune from suite in small claims court, and may also be immune from suit in higher courts. Besides, any savvy agency or corporate entity lawyer will have the case removed to a higher court - you cannot force a party to remain in small claims court (which generally means they relinquish the right to an attorney and are subject to relaxed rules of evidence and civil procedure.) In any case, it may be better to save that sort of threat for later in the game. Sometimes you should not show all your cards at once.

Of course this is just MY take ... audio is an avocation ... James K8JHR

My instinct is that they'd just shrug and say "what capsules" if a complaint was lodged. They didn't apply any customs duty which itself is suspicious as they had them for nearly 2 weeks and the value was clearly labelled on the packaging.

My instinct is that they'd just shrug and say "what capsules" if a complaint was lodged. They didn't apply any customs duty which itself is suspicious as they had them for nearly 2 weeks and the value was clearly labelled on the packaging.
There's been a lot of disruption lately due to strike action by UK Border Force. You may have fallen foul of that. My K47s were delivered to me in the UK without delay, and undamaged. I wasn't charged import VAT or customs duty, which surprised me.

Edit - In the past I have also had packages from abroad delayed by a couple of weeks and when they arrived I saw they'd been opened and resealed with tape printed with "Border Force UK". I assumed they'd been looking for drugs. Establishing whether it was HMRC or Border Force staff who damaged your capsules could be difficult.

Last edited:
the "flat" k47s are back in stock and pre-orders should all be shipped out by tomorrow. there are a few changes to this batch that I will update the pictures to show later

edit: I also now have silicone insulated termination wires in stock. 25 cents a piece maybe? What's fair?

Last edited:
He also pings the capsule, and uses tuning forks.

There is not much to his approach. He believes that by using precise torque screwdriver you could bring diaphragm closer and further to the backplate, or even adjust capsule halves distance. He also believes that you can tighten or losen diaphragm by "tuning" center screw.

If you think about this, most capsules use metal spacer rings, and by tightening the screws all you do is compress the tensioning rings, not affecting the distance between anything.

It is plausible to affect the tension of the diaphragm by adjusting the center screw, but you are risking to twist the diaphragm, or loose the proper electrical connection. The effect would be tiny, and probably not audible. Relaxing it would create issues with sticking.

He makes cardinal error by claiming specific resonant point of the diaphragm. Once center screw is placed, and damping of the air kicks in that diaphragm is nowhere close that specific resonant point.

Imagine tuning batter head on a snare drum to a specific frequency. Then putting resonant head, and add moon gel to the center of the batter head. The resonance of the batter head and whole system altogether will drift far from the starting point.
Ahhh, I can’t believe I forgot the part about using a torque wrench in the article…*I* linked! Ha, glad for the reminder. But I think I had written that off as a form of obfuscation.

PXL_20230329_210311875.jpg

Here is the new flat k47. The rings have been swapped out for the k87 ones to prevent shorting over time, as pointed out by @GeorgeToledo and others. This and the K87 isolation issue are definite "newbie mistakes." This is a downside of not just rebranding existing capsules... I have make all the mistakes myself! Sound aside, certain specific things will only come about from experience in the manufacturing side. Batches after this one will likely have yellow rear diaphragm leads too

Question--

In an application where only the front diaphragm is connected, is it best to just leave the rear lead "floating," best to remove it (if that's even possible?) or some other strategy?

Question--

In an application where only the front diaphragm is connected, is it best to just leave the rear lead "floating," best to remove it (if that's even possible?) or some other strategy?
just tie the wire around the post. when I know I won't be moving the capsule to another mic, i snip the wire at the base. You can remove the lead carefully, but might change the capsule's venting very slightly because of the exposed hole. really, it doesn't matter a ton.

Latest posts

Back