Soliloqueen's k87(k67) and k47 capsules

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for the update, sounds like a frustrating and mysterious problem. And thanks for your time and effort for getting this right, I'm sure it'll be worth the wait.
When I started this place up I hired people who had been previously trained by existing factories. Kind of regretting that now. It’s probable that they’re doing something that a factory taught them to do incorrectly without even thinking it weird. I probably should have trained them completely from scratch. Oh well, I can do that if I ever expand US production beyond just me.

The reason this bothers me so much is because the bass on the V1 was dead on. The V2 is better in every way. It is significantly more refined. The mids are still perfect and the highs especially are glorious. But I don't like taking steps backwards.

I really like your striving for perfection. (!!!) That said, things tend to be connected, so getting the bass "right" might kill the current magic in the mids and highs. Or maybe not. But whatever you do, make sure you keep what you have now reproducible. If only for a possible special version. ;)

BTW a little more bass can give a mic some extra reach, for what that is worth.

Carry on. :censored:

Noob question. What’s the difference between card/omni and card/omni/F8?
side sensitivity matching. figure 8 is within 0.3dB, omni are within 1dB. Figure 8 is finicky about the side matching because it controls where the nulls are. With omni in most use cases it doesn't matter nearly as much.

side sensitivity matching. figure 8 is within 0.3dB, omni are within 1dB. Figure 8 is finicky about the side matching because it controls where the nulls are. With omni in most use cases it doesn't matter nearly as much.
Thank you! I seriously learn sooo much here. So…much…to…learn…
Lifetime journey!

Thanks for the update, sounds like a frustrating and mysterious problem. And thanks for your time and effort for getting this right, I'm sure it'll be worth the wait.
The duplicate equipment is all here so I will begin my personal bug hunt over this weekend and into next week. Comparing their equipment to the equipment I'm familiar with and figuring out what might be going wrong and documenting with pictures and videos my process so that something doesn't get lost in communication. Will probably also hopefully begin US production of small volumes of capsules, as the equipment we sourced in China is way more disability friendly than mine. I'll probably list them on my site as I get used to using the equipment. I'm assuming people are interested in paying a little bit extra for a capsule made in the US.

I am sorry if this had been covered at length before already, but

1. how would your-solilo-majesty describe the sonic differences between the "mid boost/vintage" K47 and your up and coming V.3 (?) K87 capsules?

2. am right to assume the K87 capsules will have separate backplate halves and will have to be connected for a U67 style build?

3. would you recommend to wait for the new capsules for a U67 style build with moderate de-emphasis or should/could I likewise go for the boosting K47s?

Any thoughts about all this highly appreciated, of course of the community as well.

My best

Ro

So lets say I buy the "cardioid" option and use it in figure 8, how bad will it sound?
It will sound great, but say in an MS configuration your image might end up slightly leaning towards one side (you can easily compensate for this in post) and your stereo image/pickup pattern will not be as geometrically perfect as with the higher grade capsules (you can't easily/quickly compensate for this in post).

These people here strive towards an excellency that stock products might never achieve, so everything under the sun is highly relative 😁

1. how would your-solilo-majesty describe the sonic differences between the "mid boost/vintage" K47 and your up and coming V.3 (?) K87 capsules?

2. am right to assume the K87 capsules will have separate backplate halves and will have to be connected for a U67 style build?

3. would you recommend to wait for the new capsules for a U67 style build with moderate de-emphasis or should/could I likewise go for the boosting K47s?

Any thoughts about all this highly appreciated, of course of the community as well.

My best

Ro

1. Apples vs oranges?

2. Yes

3. Depends what you want to achieve?

1. Apples vs oranges?

2. Yes

3. Depends what you want to achieve?
1. I was aware of this, but have tried more apples and oranges than capsules in my life, so any slightly more meaningful statement would help.

2. Thank you!

3. I want a full bodied, mid-forward sound that doesn't sound hyped and overly sibilant, while retaining an overall compact and "believable" FR. Time domain accuracy and fast transient response are more important to me than FR-linearity, which is a concept that exists nowhere in the real world anyway (ears are the most twisted "microphones" you could possibly use). I don't mind a slightly dark mic, as long as a wide high-shelve/air band boost doesn't bring up tinny or sharp trebles.

Obviously you got me started on this...

My best

Ro
I think you misunderstood something. The new “boosting” K47, as you call it, is modeled after the vintage K47 which had a slight bump of I think 2-3dB in the 5khz region. The “flat” k47 was a happy accident and made to get rid of this bump. Hence the name flat k47.
The historically accurate “boosted” k47 has nothing to do with a k87 although they both have a bump in the high frequency. The K87 has a lot more pronounced boost which was intentional to reduce noise in combination with the right circuit and other things that you can read in the official papers.

I think you misunderstood something. The new “boosting” K47, as you call it, is modeled after the vintage K47 which had a slight bump of I think 2-3dB in the 5khz region. The “flat” k47 was a happy accident and made to get rid of this bump. Hence the name flat k47.
The historically accurate “boosted” k47 has nothing to do with a k87 although they both have a bump in the high frequency. The K87 has a lot more pronounced boost which was intentional to reduce noise in combination with the right circuit and other things that you can read in the official papers.

Good points all around.

Vintage-accurate K47's have a broad 2-3dB hump (rather than a peak) around 5kHz or so.

K87's have a sharper and higher peak around 10kHz(?) or so, which in the U67 / U87 gets toned down somewhat by the high-frequency roll-off circuitry present in those.

Chinese reproductions of each are entirely different animals though...

3. I want a full bodied, mid-forward sound that doesn't sound hyped and overly sibilant, while retaining an overall compact and "believable" FR. Time domain accuracy and fast transient response are more important to me than FR-linearity, which is a concept that exists nowhere in the real world anyway (ears are the most twisted "microphones" you could possibly use). I don't mind a slightly dark mic, as long as a wide high-shelve/air band boost doesn't bring up tinny or sharp trebles.
Is there and have you listened to or used such a microphone that perfectly corresponds to the description, meets all the above conditions and makes you happy?
If so, what is it called?

Latest posts

Back