Soliloqueen's k87(k67) and k47 capsules

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This of course begs the question: How DO they sound just dropped into a circuit? (New thread if anyone actually knows?)

My DC-63 and VIP-60 are wonderful! Surprisingly dark.
Silly me, had one, but never measured the capsule on it's own, or the circuit response. Based on this quote, i guess it's dark as heck.

Here's Jim Williams on this mic over at Gearslutz:

"A great mic. The familiar square metal diaphram casule. It uses an EQ network to lift the tops flat as the capsule has a high end roll-off. The quality of that network is critical for top end clarity and detail. It's a op-amp based circuit, using fet input opamps. I've replaced them with BurrBrown, AD opamps with great results. The coupling caps can be replaced and improved.

Jim Williams
Audio Upgrades"

The thread is:

http://www.gearslutz.com/board/remo...2970-milab-vip-50-general-usage-opinions.html

I guess there's room for improvement in most mics, especially in the amplifiers, until you get to the very highest end pieces.

I guess it also depends on what you mean by "improvement."

I've heard more than one "improved" microphone that was demonstrably "better" according to some measurable parameter, but that I subjectively liked less than stock trim.

I guess it also depends on what you mean by "improvement."

I've heard more than one "improved" microphone that was demonstrably "better" according to some measurable parameter, but that I subjectively liked less than stock trim.
Agreed. So often "improved" means chasing some higher slew-rate or lower THD, etc, at the expense of something that already sounded good. Not everything needs to be a straight wire with gain.

They use electronics to flatten the response though. Important to know for DIY, they can't be just dropped into a circuit. Great company, and great sounding mics.
They used to do that but their amplifiers have been flat since many years. I’ve built standard tube microphones with their capsule. Sounds great!

Last edited:
this is the only replica of a 1940s m7 to ever exist, to my knowledge. everyone else copies later ones, and for good reason. the glue ridges are way too small to work with. I might change to a later target capsule tbh, which might make these 3 the only 3 to ever exist, haha.

it's boxed right now (no it's not shipping like this) but here's this unit:
1726306262818.png

That's 2 glue ridges, barely visible, in less than the space of the single ridge on the early gefells, and an electrode surface almost 1mm wider than any other m7. very cool. very frustrating.

Last edited:
i use the same backplate factory as every other chinese factory right now, but they can't hold my tolerances. their tool they use on the k47 and m7 is worn out and is drilling unacceptably conical holes. i will yell at them to fix this, which has worked in the past, but even still i think i might switch retail units to a friend's T&D shop over the next few batches at the same price. OEM customers can choose to opt in if they can take the price increase. this makes no difference to the end user, just results in fewer rejects on our end.

Back