Song mixed with my own DIY gear (Sound file added!)

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
:shock: :shock: :shock:

Wahou :!: :!: :!:

I was scothed to my back walls.

NIce song, clean sound :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

Just my two cents, it worths wath it worths:

-Guitars are killer but mixed too loud.
- Voices not loud enough.
- too much brilliance with the vitalizer on the cymbals

Just a personnal point of view :grin:

Really, what kicks my but is your guitars (I have to try my vitalizer on guitar buss :wink: )

He he, I abused the limiter too much I guess. Thanks for the inspiring feedback.

Flaheu, I am still sending around a beta version to see what people think about the mix so I just might do the changes you mentioned :thumb:

Paul B, I think you have some kinda reverb engaged in your WMP. Check it out. The other answer could be that you just entered into twilight zone :green:

hey purusha. the mix sounds great even at the MP3 level. a couple of comments/suggestions

- maybe the bass could take some bite out of the guitar
- the cymbals sound a little light, lacking in body
- a little more 'drugs' on a couple of the vocal passages
- the guitars almost sound TOO good, i know, they are really nice

real good mix. you should post the files and let us all mix it our own way!

Hey Purusha! the song sounds very nice! very powerful! for the guitar what did you use? Some Mesa Triple Rectifier connected directly to the Motherload Speaker Simulator? they sound very nice :) great job man! I'm finishing my dual G1176 right now! can't wait to start using it!

Eddie.

Thanks Eddie for the compliments.

The main sound of guitars is from the Engle amp. Messa dual rectifier is also there yes...
4 guitars all together... and a lot of Pultecs, LA-2As, 1176 and what not :green:

[quote author="12afael"]
I recorded all guitars through
Motherload speaker simulator (the best you can get) and using real amps like Messa and Engle.
I disagree. the best speaker simulator that you can get is voxengo pristine space(or SIR) with impulse cabinets. simulate internal reflections inside a cabinet, the position of the mic, the mic, isn`t practical on the analog world.
I have a colections of near 100 cabinets with different mics and positions and I can change it with a click.[/quote]

Have you listened Dynatube from Creamware Scope cards? Any opinion about that?

I am a little reserved regarding the plugs used for creating the hi end guitar sound. It just doesn't
have the bite you need in the metal production. Even Motherload doesn't have it if compared to a
really nicely recorded amps with mic.

I will have yet to hear a convincing mix where only plugs were used. So here is a challenge for you 12afael :grin:

That's it Purusha, hardware rulezzzzz! plugins are nice when you have nothing in hardware near to compare to.
There's some guys that do a really great job with plugins, but with the certain hardware you get what you want easier... for the guitars nothing beats amp + mic + good ears!!! hehehe... peace Rafael :)

Eddie

Hey Purusha! man, the songs are amazing and they sound very, very well!! Just a question, witch samples did you use to trigger the Bass Drum and the Snare? if you could answer I'll apreciate! they sound very powerful! are u the lead singer or what? plenty of attitude on the vocal part! one more question: did you use your DIY stuff to make the Mastering? or just plugins? Last question: your band have any released album? any myspace's blog? sorry all the questions, but I really apretiate the sound from your band!!
Thanks

Eddie :)

:grin:

I am glad you dig the sound and the songs.

My part in this is just being a sound engineer and producer. Samples used on top of the real drum are from my own
collection and also from the newest collection of Steven Slate drums. You should check them out :thumb:

It's first album of band called "Last Day Here" and they have a web site and also a place in my space if I remember. Try google.

Mastering is not done yet. I just throw a few plugs on top for a quick feeling of what might be the final result. In the final stage I
plan to use my sweet hybrid DIY Pultecs and Drawmer 1968 and combination of UAD and Powercore/Sony plug-ins. So far I had
wonderful results by doing it my self :razz:

for the guitars nothing beats amp + mic + good ears!!! hehehe... peace Rafael :)
I agree, the cool part of impulses is that you have a power amp, speakers, room, mic and mic preamp, so you need the good ears haha.

now I have again my preamp. I will record something with it soon.

ok here are some impulse cabinets samples.

http://www.purevolume.com/12afael

the setup was a yamaha rgx121 with a JB pick up, engl preamp clone direct to a layla sound card. then impulses for the cabinets and delay for the crappy solo. it don`t have any eq just on the guitar preamp but it is the same for the three samples, I just change the impulse cabinet just one click and new sound :cool: .

please just hear the "sound" not the performance... :?

Rafael

mmm yes they are, you can`t download it but you must be able to hear it on line. make a refresh of the page that sometimes work.

This time there were some files.... some speedy fingers you have, he he. Good playing.

But the audio compression quality is so bad it's hard to judge.
Can you upload it somewhere in 320kbps mp3 file so I can listen this again?

And add a bass guitar if you can and some smacking snare samples :grin:

it was a fast test at 3AM... I will try to do something better , but don`t spect a mix like yours it`s far from what I can do.(I don`t have monitors here :sad: )

Latest posts

Back