Song mixed with my own DIY gear (Sound file added!)

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey Purusha... heard your files from "Last Day Here"'s band in my Studio... sounds very good man ;) good work indeed!
I already finishing a band here in portugal... when it's done I'll send some files too... :thumb:

Eddie

http://download.yousendit.com/48D02F6F08F4D307 here is a part of a song (a cover) again without eq on the guitars and is a better quality mp3.

Not bad but missing the warmth of a real amp IMHO. It has fast response but a digital edge as well.
Maybe you could run it through a JLM baby animal DI to remove the digital harshness a bit.
Good enough for a very nice demo though. :thumb:

for the song I just use a preamp.
I think the big part of the warmth of an amp is from the power amp saturation (power tube distortion , iron saturation and speaker saturation)

impulses can`t do anything about saturation or dinamic response, that`s why it don`t sound more close to a real amp. but on the side of time response(eco, reverb and reflections) and frequency response an impulse is far more perfect than a couple of filters.

Rafael

I agree with purusha, you can't beat the real thing !!!

For guitar, IMHO you need real tube saturation, preamp and output for a great feel, tone, punch and compression effect of the cone driven hard.

Maybe i'm an old fashioned guy, but I don't like "synthetic" heavily processed modern guitar sound, which we heard in most of nowadays "metal" production.

I prefer it the old way :wink:

Hey purusha!

Here's two songs that I've produced and played (Guitar / Bass part) ... don't mind with the vocal part, the kid is pretty awful :?
No drum samples, nothing triggered at all, but I think I should did on the alternative track's Kick... don't try to understand the lyrics... lol.. they are in portuguese :green: :thumb:

I will send some of the work I'm doing right now when it finish! hope to hear more of your and others DIYers work! Still don't finished my dual 1176... waiting for the "matrix pins" can u believe? :?

Cheers :guinness:

Eddie

Wow Eddie :grin:

Good work! I really like your production man. :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

Specially the soft song. All instruments are so nice and organic which is really beautiful.
I prefer your production over mine anytime. Much more pleasant to listen to. But what can I do,
metal needs steroids :green:

Regarding the rockish song I would blend snare and kick samples, just to pronounce them a bit more.
Maybe brighten guitars a bit but that is just me :wink: Overall I am really impressed with your production.

Tell me more about your studio and how you do your productions, what gear you use, what pres and mics you use.
Your work on vocals is really superb sounding. Can't wait to hear more stuff from you.

Thanks Purusha!

Yeah, the soft song has more "space" so you can bring the stuff a little bit more "organic"!
I love your production too purusha, I said so, I like a lot the new Nu-metal sound! but I'm just starting to "understand" the way to get powerful guitars! One day a guy said to me: "If you want a powerful guitar sound... get a powerful drumtrack first!" and I star to think he's right! Only with a huge and powerful drum sound you could get your power on the guitars!
I used for the rockish song: basically, the guitars I used Mesa Single and Triple rectifiers through a Orange 4x12" cabinet with a Royer R-121 and a Millennia STT-1 Pre-amp... for the the Bass used Mesa amp and cabinet too (with AKG D-112 mic and a SM-57 for the mid-highs)
The drums used the usual set with D-112 on Kick, SM-57's on Snare, and some Shure's clip mics for the toms and Shure's KSM-44 for the Over-Heads and a matched pair of Royer R-121 for the Room!
The Vocal in both songs was pretty easy... just A Neumman U-87 through the Millennia Pre-Amp...
All the AD/DA Interfaces are Lucid working on just 44.1Khz.
All the mixes were done on Digidesign Protools 5.2 (very old, but works... hehehe) with some Waves and MacDsp plugins...
I'm really looking forward to get my Stuff ready to start using it... my 1176 and my GSSL bus Comp! I expect add some new characteristics to the sound...

Tell me more about your stuff Purusha.. with DAW do u use and mics :) I really aprettiate the powerfull and huge sound you get in your tracks! amazing man... really amazing!

Cheers :thumb: :guinness:

Eddie

Yeah, I really love that ballad. Is this your band Eddie? Love the strings arrangement. You must have a very nice recording room in the studio.

I have a smaller home studio. Drums I always track in one big studio with all kind of hi-end gear you can imagine and through analog tape. The rest I do at home.
Still missing the sound of the speakers when doing guitars. For now Motherload is the best I can use if band doesn't have the budget to afford the big studio for this.

My main vocal mic is Soundelux U195. My main pre is full JLM Baby animal. I have a bunch of DIY SSL clones, Pultecs, LA-2As, 1176s and mix OTB on my Midas
with Drawmer 1968 on the mixbuss for the glue. AD/DA is Creamware Ultra16A, not the best one but it does the job nicely. I mix on Focal Twins, great monitors.

For metal drums you almost can't avoid adding samples. So far I almost always had to use them and I think the rest of the world use them also.

The room of my studio is dry and not as large as you think, but I put a pair of Royers to record only the "distance effect" for the drums, so after recording the drums I use some nice impulse reverbs to simulate a rev room... that works pretty fine! here in Portugal you have no Masterclass Studios... unfortunately we must to made all of that with a lack of material... so that's why I'm DIYing some "mainstream gear"... as long as loving electronics too ;)
The strings of the ballad is an arrange for a string's quartet, that the hired musicians played the written scores by us (me and the other producer that made a team for this project) and we use some Strings samples to overdub the whole thing in the middle of the song!
The recorded band is not my band... is just a work for a portuguese's Record Company...
I went 2 times to Metropolis Studios in London, to Master 2 CDs... man, I just couldn't believe in all the gear and resources they have... came back to Portugal happy and sad at the same time, can u imagine?
After I finish the 1176 I'll start with the GSSL bus comp, so I'll ask for your help, if you don't mind... I already satarted to reading threads, but I can figure out that there's a lot of options in this DIY project too...

ok, we'll keep in contact! :grin:

Eddie

The room sounds good to me with impulse technique :wink:

I say go with Oxford version of the SSL. In this way you will nail two versions at the same time. And maybe add one standard G-SSL for the drums alone.

Don't worry, talent is more important than gear. Talent you already have and in no time you'll have a big stack of all kind of awesome DIY gear in your studio :thumb:

Hey Purusha,

I'm taking your suggestion about building an Oxford version of the GSSL, but I found no much information, or I was unnable to understand what they all talking about... :?
I'm taking a THAT 1280BL for the 3 VCA's, I think there's no much difference from the 1280AL, and what consist the Oxford mod? could you show me a thread? sorry about the rookie question :oops:

Finishing new work at the moment :thumb:

Cheers :guinness:

Eddie

This is the only thread I know about. I think on 10th page there is a over all info how to do it.
It looks complicated at first but then when you start reading the thread for 5th time it becomes easier to built it :green:

Mine is still not finished. So far it works only as G version. I forgot to wire one wire.... :oops: :grin:

Thanks Purusha!

Yeah, as I read, the only difference bettween 2180BL and 2181BL is that the 2180 is "pre-trimmered" so you can bypass the 50k trimpot :wink:

Thanks a lot!!!

Eddie

Here's a song I just mixed using DIY gear. The original is old from 80's. I used Mnats rev D 1176 on guitars and bass. And a Drip Opto LA2 on all vocals. Both in Tat's cases ;) It seemed to loose a lot transferring to mp3 but...
And one of the guitar players was only like 17 when It was recorded. I have more but I am still mixing them.

www.stagefrightrecords.com/ColdHeart

Here is 2 more using Mnats 1176 :

www.stagefrightrecords.com/EndOfTheLine
www.stagefrightrecords.com/HellInHighHeels

And yes I finally have permission from the band to post it. :green:

Back