Sony C48 capsule - reskin or replace?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Baltimore

I have a Sony C48 with a damaged capsule - both sides are a little wrinkled and the sound cuts out under high SPLs. I am a bit out of the loop with who offers reskins these days. Should I get this reskinned, and if so, is there a reasonable option in the US? Or would I be better off buying a new k67 style capsule to replace the original?

Maybe even explore possibility that existing capsules with glued diaphragms have matching dimensions and holes, so just swapping them could be alternative?

I wouldn't buy another k67, there are quite a few indicators these have different backplates to "standard" k67s.

If you want to get close to the original sound, the best way is to find the original SONY K67 capsule, such as SONY C800G capsule, The response of third-party K67 will be very different. If you can't find the SONY K67, re-skinning may be the best, because I found that the honeycomb holes on the back panel of SONY K67 are quite special.

SONY C48.jpgSONY C48 ..jpg

Latest posts

Back