SS Pultec OP transformer suggestions

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JW

Hey folks,

I have a couple Solid State pultecs that I built (using a 2520 makeup amp) They have the Sowter Pultec input transformers.

I have Cinemag CMOQ-2S on the outputs, which are steel core Cinemags, cheap and pretty good, but I wonder if someone would recommend another 600:600 output? Not looking to spend the bucks on the original Triad, just want something that's perhaps a little mellower? The eq's (even in bypass) have just a tad too much presence, for lack of a better word.

Anybody ever try Carnhill on SS pultec outs?

Any older mojo model number recommendations? UTC, Stancor, Chicago?

I don't have a zobel on anything no.

But I make sure and feed it a 600 ohm output from my board or the outs of my preamps. I can optionally select a 600 ohm termination switch on the pultec's output as well for feeding other stuff. It helps and I can definitely dial in a very good sound. I don't think what I'm hearing is transformer ringing. They just have a bit more presence/bite than I would like, compared to without them in the signal chain. I think this is just the last 5 percent or so of the sound that I'm wanting to dial in.

I don't think it's the Sowters. I think I've built the input well. It's just like the eqp-1A3 schematic, but w/ the sowter pultec input transformers (sowter recommended a 620 ohm resistor in parallel with the secondary as well, I believe, if I remember correctly, which I've included) I just make sure to feed the pultecs with a 600 ohm output.

The rest of the unit is the Gyraf filter board, Max (i/oaudio's) inductors specifically for the Gyraf filter, then the Eqp-1A3 circuit w/ 2520 opamp, and Cinemag CMOQ-2S output.

They sound great and I can totally live with them, just wanted a wee bit more softness/mellowness.
I would replace the 2520's w/ a Melcor 1731 but I mistakenly soldered them in there instead of waiting and getting the mounts to swap opamps out. Couldn't get the solder to melt and I figured I'd better quit heating those opamp pins so hot and just live with the 2520's, because after all, it's what the original used.

Have you tried running it without the transformers or with just one or the other to compare, transformerless input with the Sowter at the output could also be experimented with.

I'm curious what makes you think it's the output transformer?  CJ once said those trafos are flat from DC - 1 MHZ.

Have you swept the EQs and if so are they acting normal?

FWIW, the SS pultecs did not use the HS56 as 600:600 on output, it was wired 250:600 with the secondary towards the opamp, and the primary to the outside (backwards).  Maybe try running the CMOQ in 1:2 and dialing down the opamp gain, see if that makes a difference.

Also, maybe try a different output cap (IMO, Elna Silmic has nicer mids than a nichicon KZ for example).

But first, sweep them if you haven't done so already.

cheers!

Thanks guys,

Interesting. Yeah, I haven't done a sweep. I don't have a scope. I suppose I could download some sort of sweep file and look at it on VU meters.

Now I can't remember how I wired up the Cinemag output. I think I may have actually wired it 1:2 because now I'm remembering my friend recommending that. I'll have to check that and report back.

The output cap is a cheapo Nichicon PW. Always meant to find a nicer one at some point.

Just run it through Right Mark Audio Analyzer. (RMAA) Either that or run a white noise through it and look at the output with an FFT plugin, or download audacity, which has an FFT function.

JW said:
Interesting. Yeah, I haven't done a sweep. I don't have a scope. I suppose I could download some sort of sweep file and look at it on VU meters.

If you're on a Mac download the demo of Fuzzmeasure, it's perfect for quick and easy frequency response sweeps if you have a half decent DA/AD loop.  If you're on a PC RMAA gets the love as Gemini posted above.

Latest posts

Back