SSL 4000 EQ

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Finished a "Quad" 2U 19" the last days... Super EQs, real workhorses..., Now I am owner of 6 Modules .... Thanks to Casey Pitman for this great PCB Design, Frank from frontpanels.de, and Vami Milan "Vac11" for the PCBs....👌 Cheers

Please drying us with audio samples
🔊

🔊

Hi HerbertR,

looks great! 4 Chanel in 2U great idea!
It seems 2U give a bit more room on the frontpanle...
Mine has finally entered the home stretch...

ROCK-ON!

Hi,

after a long run, here we go...

At some point trouble shooting i realized my boundaries... I gave up.

Than I remembered that Frank told me that the PCBs are still available on facebook.
A BIG Thanks to Milan, sending me a new PCB so fast.

Most of the components I reused from the faulty device; of course checking each :)
What should I say... the new build works right from the start!! :D

This unit sounds amazing... ("sound like a record"). BIG THANKS to Casey...

The frontpanel layout was a bit tricky on 1UE, with 6.5mm Pot shafts.
This took some time...
For the knobs, i first wanted to use original ones. Thanks to recycledaudio.co.uk who send me 2 Knobs for testing! (y)
But you can't drill out the original ones to 6.5mm. I should have made new insert sleeves... too many knobs here...

PSU from Volker! I like that thing! Great! (y) (... and I discovered the L78 :giggle:)

Case from Frank, "economic" ... well it's economic...
Frontpanel from Frank, but this time my first time for a printed one. Came out great... (y)
....but of course i scratched of a bit while working...:whistle:
Power switch is although from Frank, i had this laying around for years...

ROCK-ON!

Attachments

• 2022-06-12_155059_My_SSL4000_b.jpg
    2022-06-12_155059_My_SSL4000_b.jpg
    116.1 KB · Views: 49
  • 2022-06-12_155400_My_SSL4000_b.jpg
    2022-06-12_155400_My_SSL4000_b.jpg
    103.5 KB · Views: 46
Hi Guys, about this PCB:

hi guys, I wanted to ask you if this GERBER has been tested / verified and if someone had built it successfully. I would like to make the cards but I would like to be sure. thanks to all in advance, I am attaching the file.

Attachments

• SSL EQ - Aug 2015 Gerbers.zip
    195.3 KB · Views: 6
Hi!
I’m go to have 6 pcb for sell, 25€ for unit or 40€ for the pair + shipping to worldwide.

Interested DM me.

Best.

Hi!
I’m go to have 6 pcb for sell, 25€ for unit or 40€ for the pair + shipping to worldwide.

Interested DM me.

Best.
Hi! Thank you but since I also have to make other cards of my projects, I have them done directly with a single shipment. Could you by chance confirm me if the gerber I posted above is verified or not (in case it contains errors). Thank you very much in advance

C47 is mentioned twice, 1x 22pF and 1x as 0.1uF (not 0.1pF, as I mentioned in my previous post, sorry for that),

I found in the thread schematic of the PCB and according to it, C47 is not 0.1pF it should be 22pF.
C49 is one with 0.1uF (100nF).

BR
Pike

Hi guys!

Questions for those who have done this project recently :
- The inversion of legs 1 and 3 on the potentiometer of Q is still relevant?
- The value of R9 is indeed 7K5?

I want to be sure!

Thanks
Nico

Hi,

It looks like now one can get center tapped pots from Aliexpress for cheap however they are mostly 50k and 100k ones (with detents as well). The dual gang 50k pot can be paralleled and used as a 25k pot.
Would anyone advise what changes in the schematic will need to be made (if at all) if I wanted to use single 50k CT pots?
Hi guys,
I wanna share my experience since the topic of the center tapped pots came up in this thread before.
I did not use the SSL EQ clone PCB, but rather racked an original 242 card, but this should also apply to the clone PCB.

I used the racked 242 card a few years now without center tap and it worked fine.
Recently I decided to try adding center tapped pots to the four gain parameters to see if there is a difference, and I found quite a bit increase in punchyness and contour and the EQed signal sat different in the mix.

I used a substitute schematic similar to this post:
https://groupdiy.com/threads/faking-a-center-tap-on-3-terminal-pot.63516/#post-804634
But I changed it a little bit according to Igors comment to use one regular pot, a resistor and switches:
https://groupdiy.com/threads/ssl-4000-eq.45484/post-570847
I am attaching a schematic to illustrate the idea.

Edit: I must add that before I used a 25k pot without center tap, and with the center tap schematic it comes down to 20k in sum.
So maybe the perceived sound difference also comes from there, who knows. Still I´m really happy to have tried this as I like the EQ even better now.

Attachments

• IMG_4523.jpg
    IMG_4523.jpg
    162.9 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Finished a "Quad" 2U 19" the last days... Super EQs, real workhorses..., Now I am owner of 6 Modules .... Thanks to Casey Pitman for this great PCB Design, Frank from frontpanels.de, and Vami Milan "Vac11" for the PCBs....👌 Cheers
Hey! Those look amazing! How did you make those enclosures?

Hey! Those look amazing! How did you make those enclosures?
Hi, the bigger 2HE enclosure is a cheap "empty Adam Hall 2U" case. Can be bought from Musicstore Koeln or from Amazon for about 60 euros. It fits exactly 4x 4000EQ Pcbs. You can easily order my frontpanel from Franks frontpanels.de. Or you can also have my .fpd file for sure. If you want to modify it
or what else....greetz

Hi there,

First project of the year.
Building on the excellent work by @signalflow & others, thought I'll have a go at the SSL EQ.
So I'm trying this E EQ with double op-amps, home etched (single layer), simple as heck version .
Works fine.Does not look sexy (mostly recycled parts) but SOUNDS good & its a finished project.

Logically, IC's - should be NE5532's (double version of NE5534's).
But I had a bunch of old TL072's lying around, tried them and they worked fine, very stable.
Now one big question: appart from NE5532 & TL072's anything else that could work well here?
I'm not into chip rolling at all (I simply don't have the time).
But before I drill the last holes, screw up the PCB's and close the lid, I thought I'd ask you all...

Thanks for any input.
M
SSL E-EQ-PIC 1.jpeg

Last edited:
Hi there,

First project of the year.
Building on the excellent work by @signalflow & others, thought I'll have a go at the SSL EQ.
So I'm trying this E EQ with double op-amps, home etched (single layer), simple as heck version .
Works fine.Does not look sexy (mostly recycled parts) but SOUNDS good & its a finished project.

Logically, IC's - should be NE5532's (double version of NE5534's).
But I had a bunch of old TL072's lying around, tried them and they worked fine, very stable.
Now one big question: appart from NE5532 & TL072's anything else that could work well here?
I'm not into chip rolling at all (I simply don't have the time).
But before I drill the last holes, screw up the PCB's and close the lid, I thought I'd ask you all...

Thanks for any input.
M
View attachment 104170
Hi, you can mount anything qualitative (the tl072s are fine, but without a doubt with the NEs it will be better, more headroom), the LM833N (more punch on the bass), LM1458 (more hifi), OPA 2134 PA are also fine if you want go to Burr Brown. They're all great chips, among the dual op-amps. I think you could also try something from THAT, but I don't know the models.

Have fun and congratulations for the realization .. I have it in the pipeline too but I still can't find the time.

Hi, you can mount anything qualitative (the tl072s are fine, but without a doubt with the NEs it will be better, more headroom), the LM833N (more punch on the bass), LM1458 (more hifi), OPA 2134 PA are also fine if you want go to Burr Brown. They're all great chips, among the dual op-amps. I think you could also try something from THAT, but I don't know the models.

Have fun and congratulations for the realization .. I have it in the pipeline too but I still can't find the time.
Thank you for your input, @Davidgilmour90 !

I will see what double op-amps I can get around here, which are not sold at extortionary prices.
And maybe fit one channel with one sort & the other with a different type & see which one fries first :LOL:

I'm planning on doing a G-SSL EQ with double op-amps next (footprint & lower parts count ;)).
Any input is welcome.

M

Latest posts

Back